Face Creams Disappearing Off the Shelves

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I hear Olive oil is really great for the skin. Coconut oil too but can clog pores.

Since I put olive oil on the outside of baking potatoes before putting them in the oven, it gets on my hands and it sure does make the skin feel nice (after washing-I hate slimy feeling on skin). It doesn't help heal cracked. chapped breaks in the skin, though.

cheeky200386

Since I put olive oil on the outside of baking potatoes before putting them in the oven, it gets on my hands and it sure does make the skin feel nice (after washing-I hate slimy feeling on skin). It doesn't help heal cracked. chapped breaks in the skin, though.
Good to know. I wonder if Coconut oil would help heal it with all the amazing properties it has.

Ghoti Ichthus

Good to know. I wonder if Coconut oil would help heal it with all the amazing properties it has.

No idea. The olive oil on the hands in just incidental to cooking. I wouldn't do it special cuz $$$$$$$$$ :eek

Aloe and cocoa butter do help. I despise shea, but many women swear by it. Search organic natural remedies chapped cracked hands and many home remedies are returned.

I try to avoid all parabens, petroleum-based ingredients, artificial colors, sweeteners, and flavors, etc. in health and beauty. Have to avoid fragrances except what occurs naturally in fruits, veggies, herbs, etc. or I get sick. Even then, some things like lavender make me sick.

athenasius

skin care geek alert.

olive oil straight isn't the best for skin https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22995032/ which did a study showing that olive oil can actually damage the skin's barrier function and disrupt it.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/olive-oil-for-eczema-5193322 which explains that it can dry out the skin due to a high oleic acid content.

finally it can make acne prone people have a flare up.

Sunflower or Safflower oil is better-- see the above medical study in the first link at least for skin health and integrity.

As the second link suggests coconut or jojoba oil are very good too, although with any oil it may cause acne in acne prone people.

I've used coconut oil to combat minor skin infections and it's become my go to for everything but my face where it does cause a bit of inflammation and pimples to form.

Crisco is pretty good, it's hydrogenated oil which makes it very stable and less reactive with the skin but again, if you had acne in the past it might not work. Don't eat it, it's full of trans fats which form when oils are hydrogenated.

Baby oil or straight up mineral oil or it's close cousin Vaseline are great for skin care as long as you avoid the fragranced baby oils. Apply them to damp skin after showering or washing to stop what is called "trans epidermal water loss" which is fancy for your skin drying out like the Sahara on a hot sunny day.

It stops water evaporating out of your skin, trapping it inside which is great when you struggle with dry skin but if you tend to break out easily, or have an ongoing fungal infection again, it might not be your friend. When fungus is among us, it's best to avoid trapping moisture in the area and go for either coconut oil, or tea tree oil if you must use an oil.

For cheap good basic normal to dry skin care Unscented Vaseline Clinical Care Extremely Dry Skin Rescue Lotion is fine on all your skin including the face. 400 ml or 13.5 US fluid oz sells for $5.99 Canadian on sale right now in London Drugs here in Canada. I used a similar lotion by them years ago when I couldn't afford anything else.

If you've been prone to acne, look for an "oil free moisturizer" or gel moisturiser. Neutrogena makes an unscented gel moisturizer in their Hydro Boost water gel line.

Neither are made in China. Bonus.

I'd suggest ELF face creams but they're made in China. So nope.

athenasius

oh and the Neutrogena Hydro Boost gel creams are a straight up dupe for Clinique's Moisture Surge line so if you liked the Clinique and can get a deal on Neutrogena at your local drugstore, consider it. As always go for unscented because over time, fragrance can irritate and eventually cause trouble and it doesn't do anything for the skin.

Avoid anything with menthol, peppermint oils and lavender oils or stuff called "essential oils" which is misleading. They are not essential for health, or skin health.

They are the essential fragrance oils and do a lot of damage to susceptible skin. Says the woman who burnt her scalp and aprt of her face enjoying some of Briogeo's Don't Despair Repair Hair mask.

Expensive La Roche Posay, Avene and Bioderma hypoallergenic fragrance free healing creams and lotions later, I healed back up but it took a while and I should have known better. It was a Sephora sample pack, therefore fun. OOOOPS.

Ghoti Ichthus

I like the Everyone fragrance free lotion. Very light, not greasy, and I don't break out from it. A 32 oz pump bottle I got for $9.99 has lasted me more than a year! :smile Fair disclosure: I don't use lotion when it gets hot out cuz really oily skin.
I saw this product now comes in different packaging, so I don't know if it's been changed or not.

TimeWarpWife

I remember back in the 70s using Raintree lotion in the green bottle, it smelled so good. I also used to like the scent of the original Vaseline Intensive Care lotion in the yellow bottle, but sometime in the last few years they changed the fragrance. However, the last time I bought the Walmart Equate brand equivalent, it smelled like the old VIC lotion.