Ezekiel 38-39 timing

There is some debate about when the Ezekiel war will happen among prophecy scholars. Some say it will be during the Tribulation. Some say it could be after the Rapture but before the Tribulation, since the Tribulation doesn't begin at the Rapture but with the Antichrist's covenant with Israel. There is even a belief that the Ezekiel 38-39 war happens before the Rapture because Ezekiel 39:9 says, "'Then those who live in the towns of Israel will go out and use the weapons for fuel and burn them up--the small and large shields, the bows and arrows, the war clubs and spears. For seven years they will use them for fuel." It is highly unlikely that Israel would need to burn weapons for fuel during the Millennial Kingdom. If Ezekiel 38-39 happens during or after the Tribulation, then this passage makes no biblical or logical sense. Also, to equate Ezekiel 38-39 with the war at the end of Revelation would be to unnecessarily remove the Revelation reference from the chronology of the rest of the book. So I am with those who believe Ezekiel 38-39 happens before the Tribulation and possibly even before the Rapture, because of Ezekiel 39:9. Thoughts?

InsuranceGuy

I believe it is a Pre-Trib and Pre-Rapture event. We don't know the timing of the Rapture, so that's open to speculation obviously. I tend to think though that a great number of eyes would be opened and some people would come to God. That could happen after the Rapture as well though.

I agree on the burning of the fuel too. I've heard it described many ways to fit various people's belief, but I'll stick with what it says in the Bible. I see no need to burn anything for fuel during the Millennium. Christ will take care of any needs Israel may have, making burning weapons for fuel seem a bit out of place.

greg64

I'm speculating around the time of/shortly after the Rapture, but before the treaty. God's focus is clearly on Israel, so I think the Church is gone. Also, it's the most favorable explanation of why Israel stands alone, so I really hope it plays out that way.

In other words, soon.

Amity

I'm speculating around the time of/shortly after the Rapture, but before the treaty. God's focus is clearly on Israel, so I think the Church is gone. Also, it's the most favorable explanation of why Israel stands alone, so I really hope it plays out that way.

In other words, soon.

I agree. Post rapture, pre-trib. I think western nations will be incapacitated by the rapture and unable or unwilling to come to Israel's aid. I think it's possible that there very well could be a peace agreement in place such as the Kushner plan. This plan doesn't fulfill the trib peace plan as it doesn't divide Israel and as far as we can tell, accommodate for the rebuilding of the Temple. Gog Magog will likely put a healthy dose of fear and anger in the Muslim world toward Israel, Israel will be strengthened by the miraculous victory and turn their attention back to God as they just saw Him protect them just as their prophets foretold. I think a new push for peace and security will come along, ushering in the AC. Israel will only agree to the divided land in exchange for the temple. Then they get lulled into thinking he is the messiah.

Last edited:

Spartan Sprinter 1

I personally think itcould happen after the rapture, as you guys have mentioned , the purpose of this war is for Israel ti faithfully return to the lord.
I heard some crazy stat that there are only something like 20,000 messianic jews in Israel at the moment

athenasius

So I am with those who believe Ezekiel 38-39 happens before the Tribulation and possibly even before the Rapture, because of Ezekiel 39:9. Thoughts?
I look at the focus that God has in that passage, and He is speaking of turning Israel to HIM in that process, to redirect their eyes to HIM. v 16 of 38 says this: "In days to come, Gog, I will bring you against my land, so that the nations may know me when I am proved holy through you before their eyes."
and
22 I will execute judgment on him with plague and bloodshed; I will pour down torrents of rain, hailstones and burning sulfur on him and on his troops and on the many nations with him. 23 And so I will show my greatness and my holiness, and I will make myself known in the sight of many nations. Then they will know that I am the Lord.

So far chapter 38 is dealing with the nations. And Chapter 39 starts with this in v 6 "I will send fire on Magog and on those who live in safety in the coastlands, and they will know that I am the Lord.

BUT LOOK AT VERSE 7 and it clarifies just WHY God is telling the nations who HE IS! God's OBJECT IS ISRAEL, her safety, but more importantly that ISRAEL WILL KNOW HIM Verse 7:“‘I will make known my holy name among my people Israel. I will no longer let my holy name be profaned, and the nations will know that I the Lord am the Holy One in Israel. "

Chapter 39:13: "All the people of the land will bury them, and the day I display my glory will be a memorable day for them, declares the Sovereign Lord." AGAIN the Lord is pointing out that even as Israel buries their enemies, and plunders and loots those who came to plunder and loot them, that GOD is displaying HIS glory in this and it will be a MEMORABLE DAY for them (ISRAEL).

AND THE FINAL part of Chapter 39 reveals exactly WHY this war took place, and WHAT God intended by it, and WHAT will happen as a result.

21 “I will display my glory among the nations, and all the nations will see the punishment I inflict and the hand I lay on them. 22 From that day forward the people of Israel will know that I am the Lord their God. 23 And the nations will know that the people of Israel went into exile for their sin, because they were unfaithful to me. So I hid my face from them and handed them over to their enemies, and they all fell by the sword. 24 I dealt with them according to their uncleanness and their offenses, and I hid my face from them.

25 “Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I will now restore the fortunes of Jacob and will have compassion on all the people of Israel, and I will be zealous for my holy name. 26 They will forget their shame and all the unfaithfulness they showed toward me when they lived in safety in their land with no one to make them afraid. 27 When I have brought them back from the nations and have gathered them from the countries of their enemies, I will be proved holy through them in the sight of many nations. 28 Then they will know that I am the Lord their God, for though I sent them into exile among the nations, I will gather them to their own land, not leaving any behind. 29 I will no longer hide my face from them, for I will pour out my Spirit on the people of Israel, declares the Sovereign Lord.”

Pretty clear. Let's take a peek at Romans to see what Paul says.
ROMANS 11: 25-27
25 I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers and sisters, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in, 26 and in this way all Israel will be saved. As it is written:

The deliverer will come from Zion;
he will turn godlessness away from Jacob.

27 And this is my covenant with them
when I take away their sins.”

Note the context clues here. Israel is hardened BUT only in part, because JEWS who believe in Christ are fulfilled, and they have been a vital part of the church down thru the millennia so that hardness is ONLY PARTIAL.

It ends WHEN THE FULL NUMBER OF THE GENTILES COMES IN.

When is that? The RAPTURE! The end of the Church Age.

Paul then starts to refer to the salvation of the whole nation of Israel.

That is a PROCESS that takes all of the 7 year Tribulation period. At the end, HE COMES AGAIN as Israel cries out to come to them, as a BELIEVING NATION mourns for Him

Zechariah 12:10 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

10 “I will pour out on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the Spirit of grace and of supplication, so that they will look on Me whom they have pierced; and they will mourn for Him, as one mourns for an only son, and they will weep bitterly over Him like the bitter weeping over a firstborn.

This is a reference to the end of the Tribulation when Christ appears and puts a stop to the Antichrist, and the nations gathered against Jerusalem. It's that cup of trembling chapter.

The purpose of the Tribulation is the Salvation of the Jewish Nation. Gentiles may get saved too, but the FOCUS of God is on ISRAEL. Even when God is showing the NATIONS who HE IS, the purpose is for the nation of ISRAEL to wake up and turn to GOD. It's interesting that Ez 39:26 almost seems like a description of modern day Israel. Gay pride parades in Tel Aviv and all.

My personal thought is that the Gog Magog war happens shortly before the Rapture, and during the process, or just before this war WE GO UP and God's attention is again focused on Israel.

The clues in all these passages seem to indicate that the partial hardening of Israel, the partial blindness for the season of the Church Age will be OVER when the Church is taken up and out of the way.

and finally I'm beginning to suspect we are on the verge of a conflict with Iran that will fulfill Jeremiah and Ezekiel's prophecies, and bring about that relaxed comfy carefree land of unwalled villages attitude in Israel after Iran's nuclear ambitions are stopped, along with their ability to fund terrorist activities in Gaza, the West Bank, and Lebanon, not to mention Syria. I think Damascus might fall in this process.

Last edited:

cavalier973

I speculate that the Gog-Magog invasion happens soon after the Departure of the Church, and that, after God miraculously and obviously rescues Israel, the Pseudo-Christ steps forward and claims credit for what God did, which is the reason that Israel nationally returns to Mosaic Judaism (they acknowledge that YHWH is real and is their God), but simultaneously accepts the Pseudo-Christ as the promised Messiah (they do not yet recognize our Lord Jesus as their Messiah-King).

Dr. Andy Woods teaches that Gog-Magog happens at the second seal, I think--either then, or at the Midpoint of the 70th Week. I don't remember, but he doesnt think that it happens before the 70th week starts.

cavalier973

It does say that Gog-Magog happens when Israel dwells in safety, and that the Israelites live in unwalled towns.

Maybe this secret peace plan that Jared Kushner is working on will be solid enough to make Israel tear down the walls they have built.

Then, the Departure of the Church suddenly takes the U.S. out of the equation, and the Gog-Magog coalition seize their destiny, as it were.

Goodie

I'm so glad that it is in God's hands and his timing . We can't even figure out whether to keep day light saving time. We can speculate . Parse words. Discuss origins of words.But to what end . Is one soul brought to Christ through this exercise?

I'm not a scholar ,as you all can tell, but as I feel the time growing nearer and thinking of the fields that are ripe to harvest. My life has been spent planting seeds in church affiliated nursery schools. Praying each day that someone is there to water and nurture those seed that I pray took root. I think we need to prioritize our remaining weeks, months of years should Jesus tarry.

Last edited: