Ezekiel 38:1-6 Follow-up to Other Thread

katt

Yeah Athenasius pointed this out about him ages ago, he's solid on other topics but seems to miss the mark a bit regarding his take on Ezekiel 38
Many teachers do.. I've never been in the 'it happens after the rapture or at the same time' group....my take?
..watch Israel..when all their walls come down and their citizens are no longer worried about suicide bombers and such..then and only then can we start looking for the Gog war to happen..

athenasius

As long as he doesn't go down the Hawaian path LOL
:lol yup!

Thanks for the detailed recap , what was his view on the rapture occuring simultaneously with Ezekiel ? I think it may have been the last question on his Q & A
He didn't get past that first question after he finished talking on Roe v Wade. That was 32 minutes, and everything after that was just this timing business, only 1 question. He said he'd be doing more Q and As and to keep the questions coming in.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
:lol yup!

He didn't get past that first question after he finished talking on Roe v Wade. That was 32 minutes, and everything after that was just this timing business, only 1 question. He said he'd be doing more Q and As and to keep the questions coming in.
Oh yeah i fell into that trap , he waffled on a bit about that Roe v Wade issue, maybe it was a diversion tactic from all the questions he received LOL

daygo

Watched his second part of q and a on ezekiel war, do not know why yet but have a bad feeling about this man, hope I am wrong.

greg64

Andy is generally about as solid as they come, and usually has very strong reasons for what he thinks. Usually I agree, but not always. That said, I've been following this series, but am not as far as the Q and A yet. I did mostly re-listen to the 19th installment this morning.

Not sure yet if I agree or disagree, but it has given me lots to think about. I think his points about the Doxological purposes of God is spot on, for example.

Thinking about timing, the traditional narrative most probably hold to is maybe something like Psalm 83 happens (I have a huge problem with that one, but another topic), then some period of self-assurance for Israel, then Ezekiel 38-39, then the AC comes on the scene and makes peace and off the world goes into the tribulation. Seems very plausible, but some things lately have caused me to rethink that.

What do we know timing wise for 100% sure? I'd say it's a pretty short list:
- the antichrist takes power after the Church is gone.
- at the midpoint, he commits the abomination and Israel needs to flee right away per Jesus.
- Jesus returns at the end, casts the ac and false prophet into the Lake of Fire, Satan is imprisoned, and the Millennium starts.

One thing Andy hit upon that makes me wonder is that Israel clearly turns to God in Ezekiel 39:22 and on through the rest of the chapter. Traditionally, I've thought God saves them from the invasion but then they turn to the antichrist because they always seem to get it wrong the first time. That could be, but does it really make sense? From other verses, it's clear God is jealous for His name and will share His Glory with no one. So does the spiritual rebirth of Israel chapter 39 speaks of really happen before the tribulation? I think Andy makes a strong point that this time it's for real and they truly are born again spiritually. I'm not arguing for or against this view, but it's intriguing.

What about the antichrist? Is it really necessary for him to rise out of the aftermath of this war? Maybe. But also maybe not. You already have a rabbi or two saying they're in communication with the "messiah" (they're expecting a political messiah) and he'll be revealed soon. What if (post Rapture) someone rises and brings apparent peace without war, giving Israel an apparent respite from their immediate threats as well as internal political issues. Would they accept that? Remember that the white horse and rider is first out the gate in Revelation (antichrist/false peace) and then the rest follow. Lots to ponder on...

daygo

Have watched Andys video of parts 10 and 11 of the rapture and beginning to see his reasoning of ezekiel war being at seal 2 and end of tribulation, do not necessary agree with him but is beginning to make sense, my take is ezekiel 38, 39 has to be after the rapture or even whilst ezekiel war is going on and that ch. 39 v 28 not leaving any behind is that all remaining jews will make their way back to Israel this will take time of course and will leave the time for the rest of prophecy if you know what I mean.

athenasius

I've been catching up on the Q&A sessions that Andy Woods is doing to wind up his study in Ezekiel and I'm understanding more of his position and it does make sense.

He is saying that Ezekiel does one of those leaps forward in time from the beginning of the Trib, second seal where Andy places Gog Magog, to the END of the Trib.

So Chapter 39 essentially bookends the beginning and end of the Trib and doesn't discuss the in between. Which explains why Andy was so confusing about what seemed like jamming the carrion eaters at the end of Gog Magog with the great feast of Armageddon at the end of the Trib. He wasn't very good about explaining that Ezekiel jumps forward.
OH Boy! I just listened to Andy's Q&A part 2 that just loaded today.

OK his position-- stands this way
Gog Magog (GM for short ok) happens with the Second Seal. Which is the Second Horseman, so that puts it early on in the Trib unless Andy believes the Seals happen later. He was very clear on that timing for GM in his earlier videos on the subject of the timing of that war. So I'm confident that is his position.

But Andy is equally clear now that the birds of prey (feast of the carrion eaters) occurs at the END of the Tribulation at the time of Armageddon, just as Christ's Second Coming to destroy the armies of the earth gathered against Jerusalem aka Armageddon. This is the time of Israel's National Conversion to belief in Jesus as their Messiah as the passage in Matthew says (quoted up thread or in the 6 day war thread)

As such he says that all of chapter 39 of Ezekiel applies to the end due to verses 17- end being about the end of the trib). While leaving chapter 38 as the GM war at least it's beginnings and placing that at the time of the Second Seal. Which leaves an almost 7 year gap in between.

Problems with his theory:

Birds of prey don't wait 7 years to eat the bodies of the GM war, they are there for the ARMAGEDDON war at the end of chapter 39. All the verses he quotes elsewhere in Matthew and Rev agree with the Armageddon scenario at the end with the great feast for the carrion birds and animals. THAT feast of dead bodies for the birds and beasts occurs right at the end of the Tribulation. That is non negotiable in timing, it's got plenty of references that Andy quotes all about THAT feast.

Chapters and verses were not put in till AFTER the Bible was written, LONG after in the case of Ezekiel.

So Andy's argument that all of Chapter 39 belongs to Armageddon just because verses 17 - end are about that end of the 7 year Tribulation doesn't hold water. You can have very different time frames in the same chapter. Charles Larkin calls it the Mountain Peaks of Prophecy where the prophets saw different events, but not the time in between. Daniel for example.

Nor is it Biblical because Jesus HIMSELF split a verse in Isaiah, the first half of the verse applied to His first coming, while the SECOND half of the verse (which He pointedly didn't speak) applied to HIS SECOND COMING.

Since prophecies like the one Jesus quoted about Himself can have a gap of time, sometimes upwards of 2000 YEARS in the middle, it doesn't hold that just because Ezekiel is still talking about Gog Magog in the first half of Chapter 39 and mentions carrion eaters enjoying a feast in v 4 in the context of the Gog Magog section of the chapter, that we are looking at the SAME feast for the carrion birds and beasts at the LAST HALF STARTING in v 17.

In FACT by Andy's own reasoning that cant be because further detail includes the burying of the bodies, and the burning of the weapons BEFORE WE SEE THE CHANGE IN TIME AND SUBJECT STARTING IN V 17

Since we have that further detail of what happens after the first carrion bird feast in V 4, we aren't waiting around till Armageddon to begin burying the dead.

They'd be long decomposed if they waited 6 plus years to get eaten.

My proposal to clean up the dead body problem and solve a couple of logical inconsistencies are the following:

1: Don't tie Gog Magog to the Second Seal (there's the Antichrist problem I mention above). If you want those birds having one and only one feast, and it's Armageddon (which I don't agree with at all) then you have to move it closer to Armageddon, and actually make it part of Armageddon and that has all kinds of other problems.

2: Consider the concept we could be seeing not one but TWO feasts for the birds of prey and carrion eaters. One in v 4 whenever Gog Magog takes place. The final and BIG Feast is Armageddon, where the princes of all the earth and their armies are gathered against Jerusalem. ESPECIALLY since we are given details about the burying of those bodies over a 7 month period (and burning weapons for 7 years).

That fits with the literal, grammatical etc hermaneutic of the chapter.

So he DOES allow for 2 feast of carrion eaters-- the first one after Gog Magog to help clean up the mess of bodies which are then buried over a 7 month period with haz mat procedures for any later discoveries of a bone sticking up out of the earth etc. The second is the great feast of Armageddon.

I like that he tidied that up by explaining that Chapter 39 starts with Gog Magog stuff, but ends with the Millennial reign, which it does. Ezekiel is doing an overview. Or as Andy puts it --Bookends.

I'm still not all the way up to date with his Q&A's but my concern here:
I moved our discussion over into here, on Andy Wood's idea of when the GM takes place. Sorry for the repeat.

My problem with Andy's time frame, tying the Gog Magog invasion to the Second Seal, and why I don't agree (but it is plausible) is what do you do with the Antichrist?

Andy's timing has the AC arriving on the scene with the First Seal-- making that peace agreement with Israel that kicks off the Tribulation. That part nearly everyone agrees with, it's the normal view. AC arrives in the First Seal as the first horseman.

The problem with Gog Magog invading at the time of the Second Seal, is the fact that according to Ezek 38, NOBODY comes to defend Israel, and the ONLY nations that even speak up are Tarshish, her cubs and Sheba and Dedan. THOSE ARE NOT WHERE THE AC COMES FROM.

So now with Andy's theory we have the AC making a peace covenant with Israel (and that is the thing that kicks off the Tribulation) BEFORE the Second Seal war (the second horseman) BUT ANDY puts GOG MAGOG in AFTER this peace covenant is signed.

So with Andy's theory we have a sudden invasion of Israel, who is living in a false sense of security (which Andy theorizes is due to them signing on with the Antichrist who guarantees their peace) and when they are invaded NOBODY comes to help, and GOD ALONE delivers them. This is not something that anyone at the time will get confused about, God sets it up so that Israel HAS to see that it is GOD and GOD ALONE who is their deliverer. Same with the other gentile nations-- this is God's signature act showing who HE IS to all.

So if God sets it up so that He alone gets the credit, and the only nations that question are Tarshish, cubs, Sheba and Dedan then where is the ANTICHRIST in this? He is a no show. I say it is because the Gog Magog takes place BEFORE the peace covenant that sets off the Trib. But Andy says it's after this peace covenant.

So now we have a no show with the AC, and Israel is now supposed to trust the AC for the next 3.5 years or so till the midpoint of the Tribulation when their eyes are opened as a result of the Abomination of Desolation.

You can't have it both ways. Israel wouldn't trust the AC after that no show IF Andy's theory is correct.

What is more logical is this sequence of events:

Rapture followed by a brief time but not too long because in Ezek 38 the nations (gentiles) Don't KNOW GOD and God is making Himself known to them but also mainly to Israel now. So there are no Christians among the nations at that time

Gog Magog occurs shortly after the Rapture, making it impossible to ignore God whether Jew or Gentile. EVERYONE now knows God, the true God, who destroyed Gog Magog is the REAL God, and He is the God of ISRAEL. People start getting saved again

NEXT the Antichrist rises --this could also be a very brief time-- and Israel still isn't trusting God so they sign his covenant because they don't want to get caught like that again, Gog Magog being fresh in their memory.

Signing the covenant kicks off the Tribulation. 7 months of body burying and 7 years of burning weapons are not simultaneous with the Tribulation, but they begin with the day after Gog Magog, and continue thru much if not all of the Tribulation. They could easily go beyond into the Millennium because Andy's point about Babylon burning thru the Millennium is correct. There is no reason why weapons couldn't burn for a bit into the front end of the Millennium

But the thing that prevents me from agreeing with Andy's point about the Gog Magog event being the Second Seal war is that places the AC agreement for peace before a war that the AC doesn't show up for. Which breaks that covenant right after it's made, and makes the trust the Jews have in the AC for the first half of the Tribulation kind of weird.
still stands. Namely what do you do with an Antichrist that promises Israel peace, so there they are fulfilling Ezekiel 38 preconditions, living in peace and security or at least the expectation of that.

And along comes Gog and Magog.

Which would beg the question why doesn't the AC lift a finger to help? If it's his big peace deal, his treaty that kicks off that final 7 years, then how can he be a no show, at the beginning stages of the 7 years, at the Second Seal as Andy places it

And still be respected by Israel to the point that he can enter the Temple and then suddenly turn on them, and desecrate it with the Abomination of Desolation where he sits in the Temple claiming to be God at the midpoint?

Andy makes some WONDERFUL points to tie the Gog Magog event AT the time of the Second Seal and I would be convinced if he can explain this riddle.

However God is GOD! And He could have some situation set up that prevents the AC from acting during the Gog Magog invasion. Something that gives the AC a perfect excuse.

It's not like we haven't seen evil politicians get away with turning their backs on people and doing something awful, then winning elections in spite of the evidence that they and their family acted against the law etc. The blind obedience of their followers that excuses every fault, every laptop revelation etc.

So Andy is making some good points and I've enjoyed listening and learning from him during the Q&A, He ended up recommending a book by Mark Hitchcock called Showdown with Iran that apparently has some appendixes in the back that rebut Bill Salus's theories, so I bought that, and 2 other recent Mark H books and I'm reading them.

Apologies for quoting myself, I just didn't want to retype the same ol same ol.

Jaybird

Andy Woods always has some interesting points to ponder. His sermon on Apostasy and it being one of the signs of the last days was excellent. To be honest this all speculation as the Revelation does not give us the exact details. This is not a "salvation issue" so to speak. Whether or not we believe when the Gog/Magog battle happens is really irrelevant in the big scope of things. It is always interesting to debate these future events and what we think will occur, but as we all know we won't be here when all of this happens anyway. Maranatha!

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I've been catching up on the Q&A sessions that Andy Woods is doing to wind up his study in Ezekiel and I'm understanding more of his position and it does make sense.

He is saying that Ezekiel does one of those leaps forward in time from the beginning of the Trib, second seal where Andy places Gog Magog, to the END of the Trib.

So Chapter 39 essentially bookends the beginning and end of the Trib and doesn't discuss the in between. Which explains why Andy was so confusing about what seemed like jamming the carrion eaters at the end of Gog Magog with the great feast of Armageddon at the end of the Trib. He wasn't very good about explaining that Ezekiel jumps forward.

So he DOES allow for 2 feast of carrion eaters-- the first one after Gog Magog to help clean up the mess of bodies which are then buried over a 7 month period with haz mat procedures for any later discoveries of a bone sticking up out of the earth etc. The second is the great feast of Armageddon.

I like that he tidied that up by explaining that Chapter 39 starts with Gog Magog stuff, but ends with the Millennial reign, which it does. Ezekiel is doing an overview. Or as Andy puts it --Bookends.

still stands. Namely what do you do with an Antichrist that promises Israel peace, so there they are fulfilling Ezekiel 38 preconditions, living in peace and security or at least the expectation of that.

Which would beg the question why doesn't the AC lift a finger to help? If it's his big peace deal, his treaty that kicks off that final 7 years, then how can he be a no show, at the beginning stages of the 7 years, at the Second Seal as Andy places it

And still be respected by Israel to the point that he can enter the Temple and then suddenly turn on them, and desecrate it with the Abomination of Desolation where he sits in the Temple claiming to be God at the midpoint?

Andy makes some WONDERFUL points to tie the Gog Magog event AT the time of the Second Seal and I would be convinced if he can explain this riddle.

However God is GOD! And He could have some situation set up that prevents the AC from acting during the Gog Magog invasion. Something that gives the AC a perfect excuse.

It's not like we haven't seen evil politicians get away with turning their backs on people and doing something awful, then winning elections in spite of the evidence that they and their family acted against the law etc. The blind obedience of their followers that excuses every fault, every laptop revelation etc.

So Andy is making some good points and I've enjoyed listening and learning from him during the Q&A, He ended up recommending a book by Mark Hitchcock called Showdown with Iran that apparently has some appendixes in the back that rebut Bill Salus's theories, so I bought that, and 2 other recent Mark H books and I'm reading them.

Yeah i got 3/4 of the way through that one as i got all caught up in Pete Garcia's interview with Tom Hughes in relation to Tu Bish av ( hope i spelt that right)_

athenasius

Yeah i got 3/4 of the way through that one as i got all caught up in Pete Garcia's interview with Tom Hughes in relation to Tu Bish av ( hope i spelt that right)_
LOL Spartan, by the time I get around to it, the date will be over and gone for this year. And I don't worry about spelling or grammar for that matter-- as long as it's communication I'm up for the gabfest. It's August 6 in the evening till sundown on August 7. So maybe I'll watch it before then or maybe not.

I'm having fun reading my new Mark Hitchcock stuff. I got The Harvest Handbook of Bible Prophecy that he and Ed Hindson and the late Tim La Haye wrote together. Plus that one I mentioned above on Iran and Global Reset: Do Current Events Point to the Antichrist and His Worldwide Empire? Reading my way thru August. Having a Mark Hitchcock extravaganza.

katt

Andy makes some WONDERFUL points to tie the Gog Magog event AT the time of the Second Seal and I would be convinced if he can explain this riddle.....

Regarding the AC and Ezekiel....no matter who does the teaching...no one has convinced me that he will have as of yet made an appearance...even if he is head honcho at the time...he obviously has not made the treaty with Israel yet, which is what reveals who he is and kicks off the Trib...and would obligate him to intervene... therefore..I am of the belief that either way...he will not be able to help...

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun

You want to talk about a possible controversial view, check out Andy's latest video interview with Tom Hughes regarding his viewpoints on Isaiah 17 and Jeremiah 49, i'm still recovering and going what what what LOL

athenasius

You want to talk about a possible controversial view, check out Andy's latest video interview with Tom Hughes regarding his viewpoints on Isaiah 17 and Jeremiah 49, i'm still recovering and going what what what LOL
Will do, I still haven't caught up on the other one, but I have been catching up with Caroline Glick. I love her and her guests. I'm taking a break, it's too much to absorb in one sitting. So I figured I would touch base here.

Not this one but the last she is discussing how the Khashoggi murder and the State Dpt of the US mishandled it so badly it drove

guess who

TURKEY, IRAN and RUSSIA together even further along with Syria. Talk about stage setting for Ezek 38. I wanted to yell at the TV, read EZEKIEL!!!

But I'm quitting half way thru that because it's like trying to follow a 3 D chess match. She and her guest started out by touching on nuclear weapons in Russia, and what the State Dept is up to, then covered Iran, Israel's mishandling of things, the Abraham Accords and how the recent visit of Biden nearly killed those.

Juicy stuff, all out of Ezek 38 if they only knew. But Caroline is great at connecting the dots across the globe, why stuff is happening. Although she and her guests are often puzzled as to why people are being so dumb and acting against normal common sense.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Will do, I still haven't caught up on the other one, but I have been catching up with Caroline Glick. I love her and her guests. I'm taking a break, it's too much to absorb in one sitting. So I figured I would touch base here.

Not this one but the last she is discussing how the Khashoggi murder and the State Dpt of the US mishandled it so badly it drove

guess who

TURKEY, IRAN and RUSSIA together even further along with Syria. Talk about stage setting for Ezek 38. I wanted to yell at the TV, read EZEKIEL!!!

But I'm quitting half way thru that because it's like trying to follow a 3 D chess match. She and her guest started out by touching on nuclear weapons in Russia, and what the State Dept is up to, then covered Iran, Israel's mishandling of things, the Abraham Accords and how the recent visit of Biden nearly killed those.

Juicy stuff, all out of Ezek 38 if they only knew. But Caroline is great at connecting the dots across the globe, why stuff is happening. Although she and her guests are often puzzled as to why people are being so dumb and acting against normal common sense.
AHAHA in that case i'll let the cat out of the bag and give a spoiler alert, basically Andy disagrees that Isaiah 17 & Jeremiah 49 are not yet future prophecies to occur and have already taken place and gave examples of when they had been fulfilled .

He stated though that the even though Iran, and Russia are present in Damascus , it will not be the fuse/spark to immediately make the Ezekiel war kick off, it is only a stepping stone to Ezekiel 38 at best.

I must admit that when i do lookup bible prophecy stuff, i don't research history , but when i heard Andy saying this stuff i felt immediately conflicted with what he was saying LOL

daygo

AHAHA in that case i'll let the cat out of the bag and give a spoiler alert, basically Andy disagrees that Isaiah 17 & Jeremiah 49 are not yet future prophecies to occur and have already taken place and gave examples of when they had been fulfilled .

He stated though that the even though Iran, and Russia are present in Damascus , it will not be the fuse/spark to immediately make the Ezekiel war kick off, it is only a stepping stone to Ezekiel 38 at best.

I must admit that when i do lookup bible prophecy stuff, i don't research history , but when i heard Andy saying this stuff i felt immediately conflicted with what he was saying LOL
If its Andy Woods you're talking about, I disagree with his whole ezekiel war theory.

athenasius

well he may have a point.

I like how he used the wider context of both those passage and explained that those related context passages were also fulfilled in the past.

But as we see with Daniel and Antiochus Epiphanes, there is a past fulfillment, that points to a future one with the Antichrist, so I don't think he can say just because it was fulfilled in the past, that it can't roll around again for a future fulfillment particularly when it includes those "in that day" type of statements that often point to the Tribulation.

Back