Ezekiel 37-48 -- when?

enturner

When I read these verses, I see they a lot of stuff the "experts" of so many denominations have overlooked. The only conclusion I can draw with absolute certainty is that it has not happened yet. The 7th Day Adventists seem to think this refers to the Great White Throne judgement, but when you read through it, you can find several problems with that theory: (1) Ezekiel's passages describe the Israelites burying Gog's hordes for 7 months after the attack after the corpses get eaten by birds. According to Revelation, at the Great White throne judgement, all the damned and perhaps some others are ressurected, most or perhaps all are lured by Satan to attack, and then cast into the lake of fire, so there won't be anything to bury or feed to birds. (2) Ezekiel's passages describe several actions we would never expect to find after the millenium, when "there shall be no more death or pain or crying", such as animal sacrifice, fishermen with nets along the Dead Sea, etc. I don't know if there was animal death at the creation of man, when the earth was already at least partially corrupted by Satan's presence here, but we can be sure there won't be any more of it after the millenium is over. I mean, after the millenium, there will be no more sin and Christ will have atoned for sin, so there will be no need of animal sacrifice.

Another thing the SDA's ignore in their belief that only non-marrying saints with glorified bodies exist during the millenium is this: Ezekiel 37:26 And I will make a covenant of peace with them, an everlasting covenant. I will give them their land and increase their numbers. If you have a glorified body, then you will be like an angel and you won't marry or have any more children.

I've read the Left Behind series and their authors general beliefs on these matters and I've also read the beliefs of Herbert Armstrong / Gerald Flurry / Philadelphia Church of God. The latter group believes the attack of Gog upon Israel takes place early during the Millenium, but then they contradict themselves by claiming the Valley of Dry bones ressurection takes place at the end of the millenium. If it happens early in the millenium, after God has slain so many of the enemies of Israeal and Christians through plagues, the battle of Armageddon, and the Second coming, then how can there be enough unrepentant humans left to form a great horde and attack Israel?

The bottom line is, I am a Christian but I am no expert and I don't know what to make of this. Any ideas? Thanks.

enturner

Re: Ezekiel 37, 48 -- when?

Sorry, I made a typo that I cannot correct. I meant the title to be Ezekiel 37 - 48

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
This should help you. :nod :thumbup

Ezekiel Outline | GraceThruFaith

Ezekiel Outline

Q. I’m reading thru the Bible and your web site has been very helpful. I’m in Ezekiel now and I know you have commented a lot on chapters 38 & 39 as being yet to happen. How about the rest of the book? Are the earlier chapters past? Please explain how the book is broken down. Thank you very much for your time and talents being accessible on the internet.

A. Ezekiel was a priest taken hostage to Babylon before the fall of Jerusalem. While there he was called the the office of prophet.

Generally speaking, the first 33 chapters of his book consist of the Lord directing Ezekiel to explain His case for Israel’s destruction and His judgment of the surrounding nations, all of whom were conquered by Babylon.

After the fall of Jerusalem, mentioned in Ezekiel 33:21, the focus begins to shift to the long term future, skipping over the return after Babylon, known as the post-exilic period, and the First Coming, going all the way to the second re-gathering of the nation which began in 1948. Chapters 35-37 give an overview of the entire end times period, 38-39 describe the famous Gog-Magog battle still in our future, and 40-48 give us a detailed picture of the Millennial Temple and its operations, the re-distribution of land and relocation of the Holy City in the Kingdom Age.

enturner

Thanks for the info. This passage in the Bible is one of those, that when carefully considered, causes a lot of us to seriously question every assumption we've ever made. For example, we have to ask if Christ has already died and been resurrected, why does God re-instate the Old Covenant law, including animal sacrifice, upon Israel? Do the rest of us Gentiles have to do it too?

Last edited:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info. This passage in the Bible is one of those, that when carefully considered, causes a lot of us to seriously question every assumption we've ever made. For example, we have to ask if Christ has already died and been resurrected, why does God re-instate the Old Covenant law, including animal sacrifice, upon Israel? Do the rest of us Gentiles have to do it too?
Israel never came into the new covenant. They refused to believe Jesus was the Christ. So the Jews go back into OT style worship. God is not happy with that.