Expirion Linux

JSTyler

If you are a Linux user like myself I have updated my Expirion Linux OS I made you can check it out here - https://expirionlinux.wixsite.com/expirionlinux
It is for Free and for x64 machines only
Cool! Just saw this. When I get access to decent bandwidth I'm going to grab a copy and make a live/persistent drive and give it a whirl.

I've been a day-to-day use linux convert for a year or so now. Ain't no going back. I've played around with Ubuntu, Mint, Debian and few of the "lites". Years ago I was using Red Hat 3.0 for game servers but I was so far out of my depth and needed so much help I think I alienated my geek pals.

Will you ever consider adding in support for Pale Moon or Brave browsers? And a dumb question, is it even possible to build in a native version of VLC?

GEOINTAnalyst

Cool! Just saw this. When I get access to decent bandwidth I'm going to grab a copy and make a live/persistent drive and give it a whirl.

I've been a day-to-day use linux convert for a year or so now. Ain't no going back. I've played around with Ubuntu, Mint, Debian and few of the "lites". Years ago I was using Red Hat 3.0 for game servers but I was so far out of my depth and needed so much help I think I alienated my geek pals.

Will you ever consider adding in support for Pale Moon or Brave browsers? And a dumb question, is it even possible to build in a native version of VLC?
VLC is included in my Expirion linux v3.0.8 it is the main media player - I can add Palemoon but it is based on an old version of Firefox version 28 I think, so I decided for Firefox

GEOINTAnalyst

I have just updated the OS again on13Jun2020 build is now 18.04.6

Whats New

Expirion is based on Ubuntu 18.04 about 2.0 GBs in size

Canonical Kernel has been upgraded to 5.3.0-59
LibreOffice upgraded to 6.4.4.2
Mozilla Firefox upgraded to 77.0.1
Mozilla Thunderbird upgraded to 68.7.0
BleachBit upgraded to 4.0

Plus several other internal,security and firmware updates

Len

I moved away from windows about 18 months ago and am using LM19.3 at the moment I just tried LM20 but could not get my routers attached hard drive to show up (that shows my level of expertise!) and went back to LM19.3 as it works fine in that ............... so I will download and make a usb live edition of your OS and have a play as it is always fun to try new linux offerings (but I am a sucker for pretty!!) .........
UPDATE: I have been playing with Expirion Linux for a number of hours today actually using it now, and think it is pretty good, got my printers and network hard drive working okay, loaded Nemo file mangager and liked it, very lean and fast, a fine job, so well done GEOINTAnalyst ..... how long were you working on this project?

Last edited:

GEOINTAnalyst

I moved away from windows about 18 months ago and am using LM19.3 at the moment I just tried LM20 but could not get my routers attached hard drive to show up (that shows my level of expertise!) and went back to LM19.3 as it works fine in that ............... so I will download and make a usb live edition of your OS and have a play as it is always fun to try new linux offerings (but I am a sucker for pretty!!) .........
UPDATE: I have been playing with Expirion Linux for a number of hours today actually using it now, and think it is pretty good, got my printers and network hard drive working okay, loaded Nemo file mangager and liked it, very lean and fast, a fine job, so well done GEOINTAnalyst ..... how long were you working on this project?
I work on it in my spare time maybe a year now altogether

GEOINTAnalyst

I always thought about making my own distro, just didn't know what the process was. Is there some kind of guide you use?
I start with a mini Ubuntu CD about 74MBs in size and build from there here is for 20.04 : http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/focal/main/installer-amd64/current/legacy-images/netboot/ --then click on mini.iso to download

once download create a bootable usb then install it on computer and be connected to the internet to net install packages you want, then it is a matter of changing icons, desktop backgrounds, removing software you don't want and installing things you do, rename the OS, some call it rebranding.

For 18.04 is here -- http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/bionic/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/

Last edited:

GEOINTAnalyst

Expirion-18.04.8-amd64 - Rolling Release Update 02Aug2020

Whats New

Expirion is based on Xubuntu 18.04 about 2.0 GBs in size

Canonical Kernel has been upgraded to 5.4.0-42
LibreOffice upgraded to 6.4.5
Mozilla Firefox upgraded to 79.0.0
Mozilla Thunderbird upgraded to 68.10.0
qBittorrent upgraded to 4.2.5

https://expirionlinux.wixsite.com/expirionlinux

JSTyler

Expirion-18.04.8-amd64 - Rolling Release Update 02Aug2020

Whats New

Expirion is based on Xubuntu 18.04 about 2.0 GBs in size

Canonical Kernel has been upgraded to 5.4.0-42
LibreOffice upgraded to 6.4.5
Mozilla Firefox upgraded to 79.0.0
Mozilla Thunderbird upgraded to 68.10.0
qBittorrent upgraded to 4.2.5

https://expirionlinux.wixsite.com/expirionlinux

@GEOINTAnalyst Can a desktop running this system be updated from a usb? In my case I have horrible internet at home and a bandwidth cap. I can grab large files at work with my laptop. See where I'm going here? I'd love to be able to do incremental updates via usb.

GEOINTAnalyst

@GEOINTAnalyst Can a desktop running this system be updated from a usb? In my case I have horrible internet at home and a bandwidth cap. I can grab large files at work with my laptop. See where I'm going here? I'd love to be able to do incremental updates via usb.

It can be done but you still need an Internet connection to do it.

Start things off on the online Ubuntu machine. You’ll need to install the apt-offline package.

sudo apt install apt-offline

Once you have the package available on the offline Ubuntu computer, install it with dpkg.

sudo dpkg -i apt-offline

Generate “apt signature” file

Your offline repository is no different. Apt-offline has a tool to create a signature for you. Run it and set up your key in a location that you’ll remember.

sudo apt-offline set ~/.offline.sig

You’re ready to get all of the packages for your new repository and download them to the drive you want to use.

sudo apt-offline get -d /path/to/usb/ ~/.offline.sig

If you want to bundle it all into one big zip file, the threads flag lets you download from more than one Ubuntu repository at a time. This should take some time. It’s a lot of files that need to be downloaded. You should also make sure to have a sizable USB drive to fit an entire repository worth of packages.

sudo apt-offline get --threads 3 --bundle /path/to/usb/bundle

The only thing left for you to do is to enable your new repository on the offline computer. Insert the drive into your computer, then run the following command:

sudo apt-offline install /path/to/usb/bundle.zip

Last edited:

GEOINTAnalyst

Happy to Announce that I have upgraded Expirion Linux yet again

Expirion-3.0-amd64 - Latest Release 20 Nov 2020 Featuring XFCE Desktop

What's New

Expirion is based on Xubuntu 20.04.1 about 1.8 GBs in size
Canonical Kernel is HWE 5.4.0-54
LibreOffice 7.0.3
Mozilla Firefox 83.0, Mozilla Thunderbird 78.5.0
VLC Player 3.0.9.2
BleachBit 4.0, Disk Utility 3.36.1, qBittorrent 4.3.0.1