Excuse Me Sir....

Jan51

I'm with Andy. I'd just say "excuse me."

And not to be hard-hearted, but I don't care if someone considered it rude. I'm certainly not taking etiquette or morality lessons from reprobates!
The trouble is, if you work in some place like the school system, there are now things you are not allowed to say. Here, so far you are not required to say certain things (pronouns) altho you are required to call them the opposite sex name they have chosen. So for some people, in some work areas, there may be a penalty to be paid for using what we would call logical language.

Andy C

The trouble is, if you work in some place like the school system, there are now things you are not allowed to say. Here, so far you are not required to say certain things (pronouns) altho you are required to call them the opposite sex name they have chosen. So for some people, in some work areas, there may be a penalty to be paid for using what we would call logical language.
Im glad I retired fairly young so I dont have to deal with work place craziness.

TeeTee

My last job, we had to work with "it". I really don't know what to do. A person in a dress with a full beard. I asked someone thru hand signals (full beard, dress) what name. I was told Jan. Lets say I avoided the restroom when Jan was in there. Not a problem, but had to get used to (it) no pun intended.

Círeth

I would just apologise and try not to roll my eyes while in their sight. IF they made an issue of it I'd..........actually I'm not sure what I'd do. Probably land up in jail for "transphobic hate crimes" aka telling the truth.

Also don't call any woman ma'am in the UK. Madame or lady is fine but ma'am is for "women of a certain age" over here. You'll get into a lot of hot water with young women over here, and "women of a certain age" who want to pretend they are younger than that, if you call one of us ma'am.

I would just apologise and try not to roll my eyes while in their sight. IF they made an issue of it I'd..........actually I'm not sure what I'd do. Probably land up in jail for "transphobic hate crimes" aka telling the truth.

Also don't call any woman ma'am in the UK. Madame or lady is fine but ma'am is for "women of a certain age" over here. You'll get into a lot of hot water with young women over here, and "women of a certain age" who want to pretend they are younger than that, if you call one of us ma'am.
"Madame" is more like a certain line of work, over here.

Kem

Citizen
I once called a women sir but that was very many years ago and I kind of don't think she was trying to appear as a man but she was older, her only shape appeared to be very round, wore men's farmer clothes and had a deep voice. She didn't correct me but my brother in law did after she left. lol