EU foreign policy chief: We're making a last-ditch attempt to save Iran deal

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
EU foreign policy chief: We're making a last-ditch attempt to save Iran deal
EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell tells Financial Times he seeks a “middle way” to end the impasse between the US and Iran.
Israel National News

The European Union (EU) is making a last-ditch attempt to save the 2015 Iran nuclear deal and break a deadlock triggered by Tehran’s demand that Washington lift its terrorist designation on the Revolutionary Guards, The Financial Times reports. EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell told The Financial Times he was seeking a “middle way” to end the impasse. He said he wanted EU negotiator Enrique Mora to visit Tehran to discuss the issue, but added that Iran “was very much reluctant”. He described the diplomatic push as “the last bullet”.

Borrell is considering a scenario whereby the designation on the guards is lifted, but kept in place on other parts of the organization. “At a certain moment, I will have to say, as coordinator [of the Vienna talks] I make this proposal on the table, formally . . . the only equilibrium point possible would be this one,” Borrell said. “We cannot continue like this forever, because in the meantime Iran continues developing their nuclear programm.” He added that “the file is on the table of President Biden himself, my discussions with [US Secretary of State Antony] Blinken have reached the limit”.

more............. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/327122