Envy and/or Jealousy

Jonathan

Everyone, not just Christians, throw a lot of words around often without a universally agreed on definition. "Fornication" is one of them, for example. (Is it possible to Fornicate with your wife?)

So, I have a question. Biblically, how would you best define "Envy" or "Jealously?"

One of my best friends has built a very successful business over the last decade or so and as a result of his dedication, talent, and his wife (Seriously, it wouldn't have been possible without her), they are VERY financially secure. Whenever I think about his success, I smile and actually feel really warm and happy inside. The fact he is doing well and is happy makes me happy. My sentiment is as simple as that, period. It really is.

However, and this is why I am asking the question, is it Envy or Jealousy for me to also desire similar success for myself? If not, then what exactly differentiates the two sentiments?

My own view of it, which is speculative and ungrounded, is that the difference has to do with your emotional feelings towards the person with the success you desire. In other words, if you resent someone because they have what you would like to have, that is Envy and Jealousy. But if you want what they have (not the EXACT thing they have like THEIR car or THEIR wife) without any negative emotions towards the person, it doesn't seem wrong.

With all that said, what do you think is the proper definition of Envy/Jealousy?

GoldenEagle

I think it comes down to attitude.
What you’ve described yourself as feeling and desiring sounds to me as coming from a right heart.
The times I’ve felt what I would call envy and jealousy - I’ve been very aware it’s been coming from my flesh/old nature. Something dark in me rose up - there was a sense of destruction - and totally selfish - all about me, myself and I, with no submission to God about it or care for anyone else.
Also, the bible says God gives us the desires of our heart - but that comes through knowing Him, spending time in his Word and diligently seeking his will for our lives. The desires He gives us/ wants to give us, will ultimately not only be a blessing to us but to others through us and bring praise and glory to Him.

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
Envy/jealousy was what Lucifer felt toward God. He foolishly wanted God's glory for himself.

13 For you have said in your heart: 'I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God; I will also sit on the mount of the congregation On the farthest sides of the north;
14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be like the Most High.' [Isaiah 14:13-14 NKJV]

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
I've come to understand that jealousy and envy are two different things, envy I think being related to covetousness. Jealousy though is wanting what is yours to stay what is yours. We are commanded against covetousness, but God Himself is a jealous God. He even baked it into the ten commandments where He condemns coveting

Exodus 20:

4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God

17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor