Enter Through the Strait Gate

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
By Nathele Graham

Have you ever been traveling in an unfamiliar area and got lost? What did you do? Maybe you stopped somewhere and asked directions, or pulled out a map. In today’s world most people check their GPS. The point is, there’s always a way to find your way. Being lost is a very bad feeling. The same is true of finding our way in life. As we travel through life we will come to many crossroads and get confused as to which is the right way to go. The best thing to do is to seek direction. Pray for guidance; God will never steer you wrong. There was a time when a pastor could be trusted to give Biblical directions, but many are turning from sound Bible doctrine and turning to seeker friendly apostasy. Instead of being Biblically correct they are politically correct. Instead of guiding the confused and lost to a firm foundation built on Christ, many pastors embrace the world. These are false teachers who will lead you away from God’s truth. They don’t teach the Gospel because it might offend someone.

“But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.” – 2 Corinthians 4:3-4.

You may take issue with me using this verse which speaks of the Gospel being hid from non-believers, and equating them with false teachers, but if the preacher doesn’t believe God’s truth enough to teach it in full, then what does he believe? Jesus warns against false prophets.

“Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?” – Matthew 7:15-16.

Many Christians have been following a broad road that leads to destruction.

“Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.” – Matthew 7:13-14.

We know from Scripture that all sin will be forgiven by Christ if you earnestly repent. Too many people leave it at that. They are truly sorry at the moment, but then continue in the sin of which they’ve repented. Only God knows if they are saved, but if there’s no fruit of a changed life, it’s questionable if they’ve truly been saved.

“Be angry and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: neither give place to the devil. Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.” – Ephesians 4:26-28.

That means to use Christ as your example and don’t continue in sin. Jesus loved people. He forgave a prostitute but told her to stop sinning, He forgave her sin, but she needed to change her lifestyle and leave the broad way that leads to destruction. Why don’t we hear pastors speak out against sin? They are following the wrong path, and many of the congregation are following them without question, or sleep through sermons while the pastor babbles on. What happens if you follow the broad road? Jesus says it leads to destruction. It’s the strait and narrow gate that leads to life. Be sure you’re on the right path.

How can you be sure you follow the road that leads to life? You must study Scripture. You will have a hard time discerning truth from lies if you don’t know God’s truth! The Apostle Paul wrote letters of encouragement and instruction to young pastors. These letters give instructions on Christian life, and encouragement about how to lead the flock to find the strait gate that leads to life.

“Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.” – 2 Timothy 2:15-16.

It’s not only pastors who need to study, but every Christian. We all need to beware of false teachers If you’re listening to a pastor who avoids teaching Scripture, or has the idea that people are different today than in Biblical times and therefore Scripture must change, leave that congregation. That’s a false teaching.

Scripture says “Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.” – Hebrews 13:8.

It’s up to us to change to honor Christ instead of changing Christ to honor us. We face a lot of challenges to our faith, but God’s word never changes. When you enter through the strait gate, you will follow in the footsteps of men who surrendered their lives to Christ. They followed His truth no matter what the world proclaimed as truth. Only Christ is the way to life.

“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life; no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” – John 14:6.

Jesus is the strait gate. That’s important for every Christian to understand. Christ is the only way. Allah, Buddha, Mormonism, Jehovah Witnesses, and all other cults and false religions will only lead you to destruction and an eternity in Hell. Follow Christ faithfully, and you will find peace.

In a letter written to Titus, another pastor whom Paul encouraged, Paul is clear about how Titus should choose men to guide the congregation.

“Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers. For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision: whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre’s sake.” – Titus 1:9-11.

Although this warns against men who were trying to bring Christian teachings in line with Jewish ways, it’s a warning against any wrong teaching that deceived people bring to the congregation; add nothing to the pure word of God. This verse makes me think of the pastors of some megachurches. They put forth false teaching in order to sell books they’ve written and preach a different Gospel than found in Scripture and “…teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre’s sake.” There are many false teachers on television and if you watch any of them, be wary. Be sure you’ve studied Scripture so you won’t be duped.

“They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work, reprobate.” – Titus 1:16.

Don’t follow these false teachers down the broad road that leads to destruction. Follow God’s truth through the strait gate that leads to life.

It’s easy to be deceived if you don’t follow the correct guidelines. The congregation in Corinth was very “tolerant” of sin and that was a great concern. False teachers were leading the congregation to destruction and teaching a different Gospel than what is God’s truth.

“But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him… For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ”. – 2 Corinthians 11:3-4 & 13.

False teachers may appear to be Bible scholars and have degrees from colleges and seminaries, but if they deviate even a little from Scripture, then go to them and rebuke them. If they refuse to listen, then you need to find a new place to worship. The fact of the matter is our foundation must be built on Jesus Christ, holding the Word of God as our standard and the final source of authority for all matters of faith. Scripture is our guide through life.

We shouldn’t be surprised at the apostasy we see from Bible teachers. Scripture tells us that apostasy will abound in the last days. Your pastor probably avoids teaching prophecy so you may not understand that we are living in the final days of earth’s history. There are many signs found in Scripture and these signs are all making news headlines. The war in Ukraine is Russia’s stepping stone to the Middle East and specifically Israel. All nations seem to be turning against Israel, but God will not allow the destruction of His chosen people. Jesus said the end times will be like the days of Noah,

“And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man. They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all. Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought they sold, they planted, they builded; But, the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all. Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.” – Luke 17:26-30.

The days of Noah and the days of Lot are happening today. In Noah’s day, genetic manipulation of the human genome and all of creation, was Satan’s way of destroying humanity. He almost succeeded. The people weren’t paying attention to the evil caused by the fallen angels and were just blindly living life as if nothing was wrong. That’s very much like today. Only Noah and his family were paying attention and following God’s directions. They entered through the narrow gate (the door into the ark) and were protected from God’s judgment. We also see the lifestyle found Sodom during Lot’s lifetime happening today. Homosexuality was the common practice, and today we see it happening again. God is serious about our sexual choices. As soon as Lot was removed from Sodom, God’s judgment rained down and destroyed Sodom and the surrounding cities. Lot was saved, not because he was a perfect man, but because he chose to believe God. He lived in Sodom but wasn’t part of the lifestyle there. Do pastors teach about these things? Most don’t because it isn’t politically correct and it might upset someone in the congregation. Beware of false teachers who are leading you along the road to destruction “…broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction”.

We are drawing very near to the Rapture, and Scripture discloses that false teachers will abound. Sadly, so-called Christians will not only tolerate, but encourage those voices of deception.
“For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.” – 2 Timothy 4:3-4.

The congregation will only listen to what they desire to hear. They aren’t happy if they are taught that sin is sin, and they only want to listen to how their sin is forgiven, but don’t want to turn from their sin to honor Christ. Do you only accept false doctrine? This is a sign of the times.

“Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;” – 1 Timothy 4:1-2.

The lies and hypocrisy will only lead down the broad way to destruction. A time is coming in the very near future when you will understand that your choices in life, and the path you choose to follow will matter. Death is permanent, and the choice you make in this life will determine where you spend eternity. If you choose to listen to false teachers and follow the broad way that leads to destruction, you cannot blame God, false teachers, or anyone but yourself. You must choose to follow Christ today, before death and before the Rapture, in order to spend eternity in Heaven with Him. Everyone will live forever, but it’s your choice to live eternally in the Lake of Fire, or to live eternally in Heaven.

Choose to “Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.” – Matthew 7:13-14.

There is no other way to eternal life than that strait and narrow gate. How do you find that gate? Jesus Christ is the strait gate that leads to life. Make your choice today, reject false teachers, and live for Christ.

God bless you all,

Nathele Graham
[email protected]
[email protected]

All original scripture is “theopneustos” God breathed.

If you’d like to be on my mailing list to receive the commentaries just drop me an email and let me know.

https://www.raptureforums.com/ron-nathele-graham/enter-through-the-strait-gate/

Baby Yoda

Watchman
Choose to “Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.” – Matthew 7:13-14.

There is no other way to eternal life than that strait and narrow gate. How do you find that gate? Jesus Christ is the strait gate that leads to life. Make your choice today, reject false teachers, and live for Christ.
:)

Andy C

IMO, the OP is borderline works based salvation.

I think a better view on the narrow gate is the below from Jack Kelley.

From Jack:

I’m convinced that the narrow way to salvation is by faith alone. Every other way requires the maintenance of some kind of behavioral standard in addition to belief. In other words faith plus human effort.

It’s true that the Holy Spirit will manifest changes in the life of all believers, but our salvation is not held hostage to this happening. Paul said we were included in Christ when we heard the gospel of our salvation and believed it (Ephesians 1:13-14). At that time God Himself set His seal of ownership on us and put His Spirit in our hearts as a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance (2 Cor. 1:21-22).

Those who believe they have to maintain some arbitrary performance levels in order to earn or keep something that Lord gave His life to make free have denied the sufficiency of God’s grace and joined the throngs on the broad road who are trying to earn their way to salvation through human effort.

To me walking the straight and narrow means recognizing that we have nothing God needs and can do nothing to make ourselves worthy to stand before Him. We can only believe and receive what God has done for us, and dedicate our lives to finding a way of expressing our gratitude for it.

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith–and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God–not by works, so that no one can boast (Ephesians 2:8-9).”

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/the-narrow-way/

Purchased With Blood

By Nathele Graham

We know from Scripture that all sin will be forgiven by Christ if you earnestly repent. Too many people leave it at that. They are truly sorry at the moment, but then continue in the sin of which they’ve repented. Only God knows if they are saved, but if there’s no fruit of a changed life, it’s questionable if they’ve truly been saved.
1 John 5:13 says, "These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God." The strait gate is faith in Jesus, and faith alone. Few will enter in through this gate because the vast majority think they can earn their salvation through good works. It had nothing to do with works to begin with. Salvation is by grace through faith alone. God wants believers of Jesus to be certain and know that we have eternal life. He paid it all in full on the cross. Once you are inside that gate, you are secure with Christ for eternity. Like it or not, we all will continue to sin, because according to the standard by which God measures sin, what we consider as righteous deeds are as filthy rags. Paul writes in Romans chapter 7 that the good that he wants to do he does not, and he does the very evil he wishes not to do.

The chapter on the strait gate, Matthew 7, begins with a warning against judging and hypocrisy, that we be not likewise judged. From the original post, the author almost seems to advocate "fruit inspecting" and being judgmental of the sin of others. What we consider fresh and ripe fruit are rotten according to God's standard of perfection. God knows if someone is saved, but that person also knows if they are saved. Matthew 7:15-20 is specifically about knowing false prophets by their fruit. In Matthew 7:22, it is clearly those who thought their works would save them who are cast away from the Lord on the day of judgment. They thought they did all these wonderful things, but to God's standard even these are works of iniquity and they must stand before the great white throne because they never actually believed the gospel, which is the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus for our sins.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I have never known Nathele to teach a works based salvation. I'll email her and ask her to review the posts here and see if she has anything she would like to clear up. Sometimes when writing articles things that you want to say don't always come out the way you want them to. I'll see what she says.

Nathele

Hello Brothers and Sisters in Christ. First of all, let me firmly state that I am NOT promoting a works based salvation. If works are what saves us, then Christ gave His life unnecessarily.. Christ shed blood paid it all, and when His final words on the cross were spoken ("It is finished".)...it was finished. If my commentary seems as if it promotes a works based salvation, I'm sorry. I will try to be clearer in what I write. I do like Jack Kelly and always start my day by reading what he has to say. He has said "We are saved by what we believe, not by how we behave". I agree. I also read in Scripture that our faith should change our behavior. For instance, the prostitute that was brought before Christ for Him to condemn her. There was no condemnation, but there was conviction. The Scribes and Pharisees also saw their own sin. Jesus told the woman that He didn't condemn her but she was to go and sin no more. I would love to know what happened to her after her encounter with Jesus, but I'm absolutely certain that even if she gave up prostitution, there was still sin in her life. Then I look at Paul. What an awful man he was until he met Jesus. He was changed. Would his letters be still read today if he had continued his life of sin after encountering Christ? We will never be without sin on this side of Heaven, but Jesus needs to be our example on Earth. In all my years, I have known many people in many stages of their walk with Christ. Some leave a lot of questions as to whether they are truly saved, because their actions don't give evidence of a changed life. Only God knows if we have truly accepted Christ. My husband was an amazing man. He was good by human standards, but not a Christian. He knew who Christ was and thought he was a Christian because he lived in the USA. Wrong. When he met Jesus, the change in him was amazing. He showed me what Christ can do with a willing follower. He struggled against sin, but he stayed in the Word and conformed to Jesus rather than making excuses and changing Jesus to conform to him. We all struggle, and I'm no exception. We all need to examine our lives, words, and actions, and see what we need to deal with. Not to work for our salvation, but to honor Christ.

I hope this clears up my feelings about works for salvation.

God bless
<>< ><>
Nathele

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
Crystal Clear.

Thanks Nathele, I'm sure many appreciate your taking time to respond.

Now back to the fire as God continues to work out the dross..... BANG ouch.... DING....ugh..... Back in the forge .... hot hot hot hot......

I love the kids hymn - He's Still Workin' on Me.

Purchased With Blood

Hello Brothers and Sisters in Christ. First of all, let me firmly state that I am NOT promoting a works based salvation. If works are what saves us, then Christ gave His life unnecessarily.. Christ shed blood paid it all, and when His final words on the cross were spoken ("It is finished".)...it was finished. If my commentary seems as if it promotes a works based salvation, I'm sorry. I will try to be clearer in what I write. I do like Jack Kelly and always start my day by reading what he has to say. He has said "We are saved by what we believe, not by how we behave". I agree. I also read in Scripture that our faith should change our behavior. For instance, the prostitute that was brought before Christ for Him to condemn her. There was no condemnation, but there was conviction. The Scribes and Pharisees also saw their own sin. Jesus told the woman that He didn't condemn her but she was to go and sin no more. I would love to know what happened to her after her encounter with Jesus, but I'm absolutely certain that even if she gave up prostitution, there was still sin in her life. Then I look at Paul. What an awful man he was until he met Jesus. He was changed. Would his letters be still read today if he had continued his life of sin after encountering Christ? We will never be without sin on this side of Heaven, but Jesus needs to be our example on Earth. In all my years, I have known many people in many stages of their walk with Christ. Some leave a lot of questions as to whether they are truly saved, because their actions don't give evidence of a changed life. Only God knows if we have truly accepted Christ. My husband was an amazing man. He was good by human standards, but not a Christian. He knew who Christ was and thought he was a Christian because he lived in the USA. Wrong. When he met Jesus, the change in him was amazing. He showed me what Christ can do with a willing follower. He struggled against sin, but he stayed in the Word and conformed to Jesus rather than making excuses and changing Jesus to conform to him. We all struggle, and I'm no exception. We all need to examine our lives, words, and actions, and see what we need to deal with. Not to work for our salvation, but to honor Christ.

I hope this clears up my feelings about works for salvation.

God bless
<>< ><>
Nathele
Thank you Nathele for replying. Just as constructive criticisms for future endeavors of yours, here are some things which may help things be even clearer in future articles. First, the woman was caught in adultery, and not necessarily a prostitute. Second, did you read a specific passage by Paul or anyone else that says "our faith should change our behavior" and if so which verse is it? Jesus says, "Neither do I condemn thee: go and sin no more." That's not that same thing and not a proof passage. Or did you "read into" Scripture? Does "should" mean "mandatory or else the Lake of Fire?" Calvinists like to back-load works, and say if you never had the works, you were never saved to begin with. To them, "should" means mandatory. You never persevered. You can never know if you're saved under Calvinism, because you have to persevere under that false system.

God bless you.

Andy C

I have never known Nathele to teach a works based salvation. I'll email her and ask her to review the posts here and see if she has anything she would like to clear up. Sometimes when writing articles things that you want to say don't always come out the way you want them to. I'll see what she says.
This is her second article I have read out of her many excellent articles posted, where I felt she was borderline teaching a works based salvation. However, I do enjoy her articles, and really enjoyed her late husbands teachings.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
It's been a while since I've read some of his articles, but I think Jack said a lot of times that we do good works after being saved not out of trying to help with the salvation process, but out of appreciation for what the Lord has done for us.

That is where I feel that Nathele is going here. She said she does not believe in a works based salvation program. I've never known her to promote a works based salvation plan. But whether your "growth" in the Lord is as small as a few grains of sand or if it is as big as a whole beach varies from one believer to another.

A few grains of sand is basically no noticeable improvement in appearance. But it is still there. And the Lord is the one who makes that decision, not us. Only he can see the heart as Nathele was saying. We are not to judge another person's salvation. That's only His job to do.

It is what we believe that saves us, not how we behave. Surely when the Bible tells us that we are "equipped for good works" that He would want us to do them. I doubt he wants us to just sit there and do nothing after being saved. Isn't there a Great Commission to be done?

Again, we do "good works" after being saved not out of trying to help with the salvation process, but out of appreciation for what the Lord has done for us.

I think that is the "general" sense. The thief on the Cross didn't have time to do good works, but he was still saved because of what he believed. Someone else might get saved and then get hit by a bus immediately afterwards. They are still saved by what they believe. Another might do so few a good works that we never even see any of them. But they are still saved by what they believe.

I believe that a parable or two was about those who received what the Lord gave them, but then did nothing with it and He was NOT happy when He returned and they did nothing with it. Think about that.

The rest of us in "general" I'm sure do good works in some sort of way, not to try to help with the salvation process, but out of appreciation for what HE has done for us.

JMHO.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
This is her second article I have read out of her many excellent articles posted, where I felt she was borderline teaching a works based salvation. However, I do enjoy her articles, and really enjoyed her late husbands teachings.

It can be really hard to put what you think in your head into words on paper. I have always found that to be the case with me, which is why there are so few articles written on RF by me. I just don't have that gift that others do. Nathele, Jack Kelley, Jack Kinsella, and some others have the gift of writing. I always found myself going back and rewriting many parts of what I wrote in an article that I thought my confuse others even if I knew what I meant. Sometimes, it seems like a losing battle. That's why I don't write more than I do. :lol

I think the situation here is just a misunderstanding. I think Nathele has cleared that up though. :)

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
In reading all the Bible admonitions, the Epistles, the Word,

We are to believe by faith,

and THEN we are to evidence that faith. That is our continuing work AFTER we are saved.

My own atheist/agnostic daughter condemned the "say the magic words and be saved" notion.

Saving faith is deeper, truer, and only God discernable. We know if we really believe and so does He.

But the outside world can only see the surface, which is why we are admonished to be light - to emanate the relationship within.

Its our testimony - weak or strong - what we do varies so much.
And although we are unqualified to judge, we are called to encourage and correct according to His Word.

Once saved, we should not see our daily sins as disqualifying us from entering His Kingdom,
but it may be more humbling and growth producing to see them as another stripe on His back,
another hammer blow to the nails our Savior hung upon to purchase our Salvation.

In the end, it will be God's Holy Fire that proofs the works of each believer.
I pray we all have something to give to the King of Kings when the test is complete.

daygo

It can be really hard to put what you think in your head into words on paper. I have always found that to be the case with me, which is why there are so few articles written on RF by me. I just don't have that gift that others do. Nathele, Jack Kelley, Jack Kinsella, and some others have the gift of writing. I always found myself going back and rewriting many parts of what I wrote in an article that I thought my confuse others even if I knew what I meant. Sometimes, it seems like a losing battle. That's why I don't write more than I do. :lol

I think the situation here is just a misunderstanding. I think Nathele has cleared that up though. :)
Well said Chris.

Purchased With Blood

Sounds good, I won't press the issue but at the same time, I don't mind being the annoying hall monitor for salvation by grace through faith alone until that last trumpet. If salvation comes by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. I don't want to see anyone who is a member of Rapture Forums miss the rapture because they trusted in their works. I can't think of a more horrifying thought. There's not much time left guys to share the gospel with all our beloved family members, we have to make it as simple and clear as possible. Just get them in the gate while there is still time.

Last edited:
Back