"Enough"

Robert

We live in a world of worry, and despair.

If you take the average person on the street, they are worried about the economy, worried about their job, worried about their home, worried about their families, worried about their health, and deep down inside, secretly frightened that all of it can be taken away in a moment's notice. They take all of the worries of the world upon themselves, and believe that it is all up to them to "take care of things." One moment's inattention, and all is lost in the voracious maw of the sucking black hole that seems to lurk just on the horizon of life.

And Christians can fall into this trap too.

Often, when we are overburdened with the things of this life, we too can end up trying to shoulder all the troubles in the world. And when this happens, it can wear us down faster than a pair of millstones can grind up a handful of wheat.

Peter found this out the hard way, when he took his eyes off the Lord but for a moment:

"And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone. But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary. And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea. And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear. But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid. And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water. And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus. But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt? " (Matthew 14:23-33)

Like Peter, when we take our eyes off the Lord and only look at the situation around us, we too begin to sink. The water that we end up drowning in is called despair, and it is far more vicious and hungry than any sea that man has ever sailed. We struggle, and are easy pickings for the wolves of the world.

The Adversary loves times like these:

"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:" (1 Peter 5:8)

Satan doesn't play fair; when someone is in despair, he closes in for the kill. He loves easy targets; they're his favorites, and he relishes the opportunity to maul someone who is in trouble. Like a wolf upon a sheep, he seeks those that are struggling.

That's why we need to be in prayer for them.

They need to KNOW that God is "enough."

It's not enough to simply say to someone "God is enough." Anyone can do that; oftentimes, it can come off sounding insipid. We need to come alongside those in despair, those who are struggling, and pray WITH them and FOR them. We need to remind them them that the Bible PROVES that God is INDEED ENOUGH.

For example:

" In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." (Genesis 1:1)

A God who created everything in this universe is ENOUGH

"And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. " (John 1:14)

A God who became flesh to dwell amongst us, is ENOUGH

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

A God who died for us, in our place, is ENOUGH

"for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee." (Hebrews 13:B)

A God who will not abandon you is ENOUGH

"Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature? And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek: ) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."
(Matthew 6:25-34)

A God who will provide for your needs is ENOUGH

and,

"Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also." (John 14:1-3)

A God who has promised to come BACK for us is ENOUGH.

As someone who has recently wrestled with worry and despair, I can tell you of a surety: If a Christian says that God is not enough, then they are speaking out of despair; they fail to remember what God has done for them in their lives; they fail to remember who God is; and they are not keeping their eyes on him, but their burdens instead. God is not a cruel taskmaster that has saddled us with a load that is impossible for anyone to bear, but is instead our rest and our comfort:

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)

When we are crushed under the burdens of life and are upon the threshold of despair, we must not turn inwards and exile ourselves to worry and hopelessness but instead give unto God the burdens that we have. He alone can bear them, and he alone is our rest. To do anything less is to not have faith in the power of the one who formed this universe, this world, ourselves, and who died to save us from separation from God in hell for all eternity.

The Lord is returning soon for us; we may not think at times that he is coming fast enough, but he is coming. And when the clarion call of the Last trump sounds, our journey in this sordid, darkened simulacrum that we call creation will come to an end. We will be in the glorious presence of Jesus, and we will see with our own eyes, that YES, HE IS MORE THAN ENOUGH. The angels will sing his praises that he is worthy, and that he is indeed enough. The fact that he is the slain Lamb of God who will break open each of the seven seals on the scroll that the father will hand him will show that he is ENOUGH. When he rides into Armageddon with thousands upon thousands of his saints and all his heavenly host, he will tell the armies of the world....

ENOUGH.

Lord, forgive your servant for lacking faith in your power and grace. I took my eyes off you for a moment, and like Peter, sank in the stormy waters of life. Pull me up from the waters of despair Lord, and hold me close to you Abba. I need you, and I repent of my sins and humbly surrender to your will. In Christ's name I pray. Amen.

-Robert

Last edited:

jacee92

Watching
:preach:preach:preach Thank you Robert :hug2:

Lord, forgive your servant for lacking faith in your power and grace. I took my eyes off you for a moment, and like Peter, sank in the stormy waters of life. Pull me up from the waters of despair Lord, and hold me close to you Abba. I need you, and I repent of my sins and humbly surrender to your will. In Christ's name I pray. Amen.
:prayer:prayer:prayer

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
Preach it, brother! :preach Amen!!! Another awesome post! God is ALL we need! Hallelujah!

Let us ever look to our Savior ... and Him crucified, as Paul said ... for the Cross speaks not only of God's judgment on sin, and of His love for us ... but it reveals that He would (and DID) do EVERYTHING and ANYTHING necessary to bring us to His side and keep us there. He will never fail!

bghtnpd4

Home with Jesus ... waiting for you all.
Robert, thank you so much for writing this. I have been "sinking" here lately and need to keep my focus on Jesus....Lord help me.

pistache

..the flower fades, but His Word stands forever..
Great post :) Couldn't help but remind me of this song...

[YOU TUBE VIDEO]EW-toYBiF8o[/YOU TUBE VIDEO]

Adopted Son

How right you are Robert! And who is to say the goals of this world may NOT embodify the perfect will of our Father? Financial riches, long life, and many other often stated goals have never been the focus of God and His children.

Whenever minor doubts of my well being seep into my consciousness, I recall God reminding us He takes care of the birds of the field. We who He loves dearly, will be even more so taken care of. So why worry? Good job Robert.

Carl

Sometimes it is difficult to remember it is our job to drain the swamp when we are waist deep in alligators!

Really good post Robert. I only read the first paragraph to know that I need that encouragement every day!