Embracing The Gray

Umbrella Girl

Now we see through a glass, darkly; (1 Cor 13:12)
I’m 52, and I’ve been coloring my hair for years, right up until the pandemic hit. Not coloring it myself at home, but having it done at a salon, which can be pricy.

So I haven’t colored my hair in nearly a year. I just don’t care anymore about the gray. It’s just not a priority of mine anymore. As long as my hair is clean and kept in good condition with regular trims, I just feel like embracing the gray...and my age. My hair is just past my shoulders, very thick and wavy, and all one length, and I sort of like the silvery running strands throughout it.

But my mother says I look like I’m letting myself go. And my husband isn’t crazy about it, but no longer makes comments about it.

What are your thoughts about going gray in middle age?

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
To each his own. Some ladies have beautiful gray. Others, like me, look like grandma-ma from the Addams Family.

I am a bit vain so as long as I can color my hair, I probably will.

As far as your family goes, maybe it is just a shock to see your hair in a different way. Does your husband have gray hair??

ChildofLight

I’m 52, and I’ve been coloring my hair for years, right up until the pandemic hit. Not coloring it myself at home, but having it done at a salon, which can be pricy.

So I haven’t colored my hair in nearly a year. I just don’t care anymore about the gray. It’s just not a priority of mine anymore. As long as my hair is clean and kept in good condition with regular trims, I just feel like embracing the gray...and my age. My hair is just past my shoulders, very thick and wavy, and all one length, and I sort of like the silvery running strands throughout it.

But my mother says I look like I’m letting myself go. And my husband isn’t crazy about it, but no longer makes comments about it.

Embrace the gray. I see some women with beautiful long gray hair with their hair in a bun or pulled back away from their face to soften the look. To me they seem the embodiment of peace and wisdom. When I can I always compliment them on it.

I never colored mine. At the time it was what my mom called a dishwater blonde. When it started changing it apparently was silver streaks cause I was always asked who did my hair and put the silver streaks in that it was so well done. I would tell them God. It went totally silver and was asked what I put on my hair for it to shine silver in the sunlight so much. Of course it is all God’s doing.

ShilohRose

I like to think of the gray in my hair as silver tinsel. :) My dh went gray long before these strands showed up a couple of years ago.

The issue with your dh is touchier. My dh prefers my hair long, but when it's very long, it gives me headaches and takes forever to dry, so I've tried to find something in-between to please him. Could you talk to your dh about it?

Accepted

Many women with gray hair look lovely, no doubt about it.

In your case, I think it’s important, though, to care about your husband’s preferences, just as you’d want him to care about yours. Using Loreal Preference from a box is easy as pie (easier, actually)! :hug

Lynn

Longing for Home
In your case, I think it’s important, though, to care about your husband’s preferences, just as you’d want him to care about yours. Using Loreal Preference from a box is easy as pie (easier, actually)!
Yes, during the spring lockdown, instead of going to the hairdresser, who was closed anyway, I colored my own roots using this brand of Hair Color. Loved it!

Leigh

I'm all in favor of it!

My hair is too thick for me to hassle with coloring it myself (I've tried a couple of times in the past and it was a horrible drippy mess) , and I am way too frugal to pay to have it done on an ongoing basis.

Not to mention all the chemicals involved, as Ghoti Ichtus already said above. (That is a HUGE reason for me to avoid it.)

I wish all ladies would just go gray naturally, then we wouldn't feel such pressure to conform. It's our beautiful crown of splendor! :amen

Jan51

I have never colored my hair, seems like a waste of time and money, since God gave me my hair the way it is. I have always worn it short to collar-length, with bangs. I am 69 and my dark brown is quite silver streaked. I actually like the streaked look pretty good! My late husband, a horseman, liked to refer to me as a blue roan, lol.

CountingMyBlessings

At 44, I may be one of the younger responders, but I started going gray about 15 years ago. I don’t color my hair and don’t plan to. I have earned every one of my gray hairs! But, I do agree with the others about your husband’s thoughts on this. My late husband wasn’t a “hair guy”, but it was always important to me to keep up on the things he did enjoy about me.

Galoutofdixie

Looking up
Well, I'm 'sorta' embracing the gray.... :) My hair was a dark blond in my younger days. As I got older it just started to fade out to a lighter reddish blond. Now, I've got quite a bit of gray, but you can still see the reddish blond in it. I used to use on occasion one of those 6 week temp color dyes, that wash out gradually. I could get a bit longer time from them though, but I liked them it cause it gave you the option or recoloring or not, because you didn't really notice any off color roots showing up. What I'm really unhappy with though is not being able to get a hair cut. I usually kept my hair a medium short length. Had it cut just before the shutdown. That was the last time I had it cut. When they opened back up I was still afraid to go in and get it cut. Glad I didn't , because then they shut down the shop again. I would have been back to the same situation. I really don't like long gray hair on older women. Like a bit more style... but, here I am now, and hair is just now long enough to make a good ponytail. Now I'm one of those older women with long grey hair! LOL! Oh, well. I'm retired and have been sticking close to home. So nobody has to see me. . Heh-heh! It is nice to just drag a brush through it the morning and tie it up though. :)

ReadyOrNot

Umbrella Girl- I fully support gray hair since coloring is a hassle and gray/silver hair can be so pretty! I wonder if making another small change like wearing a bit of bright lipstick or changing your hairstyle might make your husband be more satisfied with your new look?
One of the reasons I color my hair is because the color adds such a nice texture. My husband always says “you don’t have to do that for me, you know”. And I always tell him “I’m not- I do it for me”. :)

Bron

Standing on the Promises of God!
I got my first gray hair at age 17 :lol
I started going gray way back when I was doing my bachelors.
Lately I’m really liking the silver. And there is quite a lot of it now. Still, every couple of months I dye out the skunk stripe, but not sure I even want to do that anymore.

Kerbluey

I have ugly gray. It’s at that awkward transition where there’s just enough gray and just enough brown for a yucky dishwater mix. I do have it colored, but we are doing a transition technique that will allow me to grow out the gray with just a temporary color till it’s all grown out. At least I think that’s what my stylist told me, lol.

Peggy0329

There's nothing wrong with letting yourself go gray, the hardest part will be getting through the transition period where your previously colored hair is being weeded out via haircuts as the natural gray grows out.