EFCA Now Considers Premillennialism a Non-Essential

savmom

From this Christianity Today article

An internal document explaining the rationale for the change says premillennialism “is clearly a minority position among evangelical believers.” Premillennialism has been a “denominational distinctive” for the EFCA, according to the document, but shouldn’t be overemphasized.

The revised statement says, “We believe in the personal, bodily and glorious return of our Lord Jesus Christ.” Whether or not Jesus will set up a literal kingdom on earth for a millennium is left to individual discretion.
Well, ok then. Not sure what to make of this yet :0_O:doh I guess they haven't been paying attention during Bible reading hour much

DanLMP

They are trying to regulate, or in this case deregulate, religious principles and doctrines.

It's one of the reasons I don't bother trying to be associated with any organized religion.

We are asked to develop a personal relationship with God. The purpose of organizing together is to provide a helpful spiritual and educational means to do that. Not to develop religious tenets to follow.

The mantra of any organized religion should be "if you have a question, ask God".

If you keep on seeking after God and asking Him your questions He will guide you in the way you should go.

The EFCA can adjust their Position Statements all they want. It will not effect me.
I'm following God.

savmom

They are trying to regulate, or in this case deregulate, religious principles and doctrines.

It's one of the reasons I don't bother trying to be associated with any organized religion.

We are asked to develop a personal relationship with God. The purpose of organizing together is to provide a helpful spiritual and educational means to do that. Not to develop religious tenets to follow.

The mantra of any organized religion should be "if you have a question, ask God".

If you keep on seeking after God and asking Him your questions He will guide you in the way you should go.

The EFCA can adjust their Position Statements all they want. It will not effect me.
I'm following God.
AMEN!

dave-o

Revelation 20:4 [...] And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.

So if 1000 years doesn't mean 1000 years what DOES it mean? Anything? Nothing?
So then 144,000 really means __________
42 months means _______
1260 days means ________
3-1/2 days means _________
10 kings means _______
200 million(I heard the number of them) means ____________

Basically they contend that God gave a very detailed prophecy with precise numbers only for Him to say "I wuz jus kiddin'. Dem numbers don't mean nuthin' "

Oh brother!

Scilent

TimeWarpWife

Is this possibly the beginning of a more liberal, world-friendly EFCA? Seems to me when religious organizations, or those claiming to be "Christian" I should say, start going the way of the world, they usually do it in small steps that aren't based on the bible, but based on which way the politically correct wind is blowing. Is this another organization going the way of apostasy and a part of the Great Falling Away the bible talks about? :idunno

Hidden

Evangelical Free Church of America. The one near us is strongly Calvinist. That's one reason we have to drive almost an hour each way to get to a true church.
I am not Calvinist, and I hope I don't ruffle feathers with this comment, but I was under the impression that Calvinists are overwhelmingly premillennialists and generally less prone to doctrinal errors and has less Laodicean tendencies than Arminians.

Endangered

Churches in my neighborhood used to be Baptist and Methodist and Catholic. Now they are called Victory and Fellowship and Life and Greenhouse. I dont know whether or not this is a good thing but it is the way it is.

mikhen7

Freed By Christ to Serve Christ
So basically, if you believed their tripe, their is "0.0" % urgency about being prepared to meet the Lord. I wonder what they believe about the reward awaiting those who love His appearing?
2 Timothy 4:8 (NKJV)
8 Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.

crossnote

I am not Calvinist, and I hope I don't ruffle feathers with this comment, but I was under the impression that Calvinists are overwhelmingly premillennialists and generally less prone to doctrinal errors and has less Laodicean tendencies than Arminians.
Actually Calvinists tend to be Amillennial and other Calvinists Postmillennial. Premillennial is probably the least of their number. Some can be found among the Reformed Baptists.

Last edited: