Eating figs

Jan51

I have some old dried figs my late husband didn't finish up, and I think this would be a good time to finish them. If I eat one every day, they'll be gone by the end of the week. I'm not really a fig eater, but I do like Fig Newtons, so I just think about them when I eat one.

I got to thinking about how figs have been part of my life, besides me and my husband loving Fig Newtons. When I was small and our church had VBS, at snack and break time outside, we would sit under the shady fig trees in the orchard next to the parking lot to get out of the Sacramento heat. Shortly after that, the orchard was removed to make room for our new big sanctuary because Arcade Baptist was growing rapidly. There were also many fig orchards in Fresno where my relatives lived, some of which were removed to make room for an upscale shopping center appropriately named Fig Garden Village, a cool place to go. My husband used to train horses at Fresno State College, before I knew him, and when we would drive by the area, he would point at all the new houses and tell me how those used to be fig orchards and how he always rode out through there.

Anyone else like figs?

:)

Wings Like Eagles

Turns out that figs are very nourishing, but dried, they are very high in natural sugars--so, it isn't great to eat a LOT of them. Fortunately, they go really well with cheese (as JFMS just pointed out) and nuts, both of which are naturally low in sugar, so figs and nuts or cheese is a perfect snack. I like them cut up on a salad with cheese chunks and seeds or nuts, and balsamic vinegar/olive oil dressing. Mmmmm.

My mom used to make fig/nut shortbread pinwheels at Christmas. You just make your shortbread same as usual--rolling it out to about 1/4" thick. Then you spread it with your fig jam/chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans work best) and roll it up into a roll, slice in to "pinwheels" and bake.

Umbrella Girl

Now we see through a glass, darkly; (1 Cor 13:12)
I love eating Fig Newtons and thinking about how I am part of the incredibly blessed Fig Tree Generation...:smile2

In fact, I just bought some the other day. Gonna make myself a cup of tea now, enjoy a few Newtons...and daydream about the day when all my trials, troubles, and tears are nothing more than hazy, far-away, long-gone memories...:inlove

Soon and very soon...we are going to see The King!

:monkeydance

JoyFillsMySoul

WLE, those cookies sound delicious! I bought a bottle of fig balsamic vinegar years ago when Central Market opened in the area. It made the best salad dressing. It was also yummy drizzled over a small pork loin. Sadly, I've never found it again.

Wings Like Eagles

WLE, those cookies sound delicious! I bought a bottle of fig balsamic vinegar years ago when Central Market opened in the area. It made the best salad dressing. It was also yummy drizzled over a small pork loin. Sadly, I've never found it again.
Fig jam is pretty easy to make and then you can add balsamic vinegar and light olive oil, I'm guessing, to make the salad dressing. To make the fig jam, you just dice a couple of cups of dried figs (I was assigned that job) and add a couple of cups of water and simmer for about fifteen minutes or so--stirring every so often, until the water disappears and you have a jammy consistency.

When she was making the fig shortbread pinwheels, my mom used to add a little orange extract and orange zest after she took the jam off the heat and let it cool before adding her chopped nuts to make her pinwheels. Figs can vary a bit in their sweetness so she would sometimes add a tablespoon or so of maple syrup. When she would take them to our church's Christmas bake sale, they were always pounced on and bought right away. I think people really liked them because the buttery richness of the shortbread blended nicely with the figgy, nutty filling. :)

Jan51

I love eating Fig Newtons and thinking about how I am part of the incredibly blessed Fig Tree Generation...:smile2

In fact, I just bought some the other day. Gonna make myself a cup of tea now, enjoy a few Newtons...and daydream about the day when all my trials, troubles, and tears are nothing more than hazy, far-away, long-gone memories...:inlove

Soon and very soon...we are going to see The King!

:monkeydance
You picked up on my "hint"!

Wings Like Eagles

I love fig jam and cheese, I also buy delicious dried loose figs from our local Coles grocery store and I like to eat one or two while having aT coffee, also occassionally dice some to add to my instant "cinnomon and brown sugar" porridge of a morning.... yummo!
The "sweet" spices like cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and cardamom, blend wonderfully well with figs. I didn't know Aussies say "having a coffee" like Canadians do :). Americans say "having a cuppa coffee". I think the Brits say "cuppa" too.