Earrings

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
I'm reading genesis right now and noticed something strange. In genesis 35 when Jacob tells his family to get rid of their foreign gods and purify themselves, they take out their earrings and give them up along with the idols.

Does anyone know more about why this happened? Is there a general prohibition against earrings, or something different going on?

borrowedtime

I believe those earrings were tied to the idolatry, symbols of belonging to the deity perhaps, or possibly bearing symbols to honor the idol. Maybe someone with some more historical understanding can help...

Talisman like earrings no doubt.

The cannanites used to make jewelry out of bones and such. I would suspect that we are dealing with something similar.

I am unaware of bible verses that say wearing earrings is wrong but I can be corrected on that given verses.

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
I just remembered Rebekah getting a gold nose ring as part of her engagement to Isaac.

After the camels had finished drinking, the man took a gold ring weighing half a shekel, and for her wrists two bracelets weighing 10 shekels of gold [...] Then I asked her: Whose daughter are you? She responded, ‘The daughter of Bethuel son of Nahor, whom Milcah bore to him.’ So I put the ring on her nose and the bracelets on her wrists. - Genesis 24:22,47

Also! I just remembered God's description of Israel as I wrote the above:

I made you thrive like plants of the field. You grew up and matured and became very beautiful. Your breasts were formed and your hair grew, but you were stark naked.“Then I passed by you and saw you, and you were indeed at the age for love. So I spread the edge of My garment over you and covered your nakedness. I pledged Myself to you, entered into a covenant with you, and you became Mine.” This is the declaration of the Lord God.“I washed you with water, rinsed off your blood, and anointed you with oil.I clothed you in embroidered cloth and provided you with leather sandals. I also wrapped you in fine linen and covered you with silk.I adorned you with jewelry, putting bracelets on your wrists and a chain around your neck.I put a ring in your nose, earrings on your ears, and a beautiful tiara on your head.So you were adorned with gold and silver, and your clothing was made of fine linen, silk, and embroidered cloth. You ate fine flour, honey, and oil. You became extremely beautiful and attained royalty.Your fame spread among the nations because of your beauty, for it was perfect through My splendor, which I had bestowed on you.” This is the declaration of the Lord God. - Ezekiel 16:7-14

This would seem to say God is alright with ear and nose piercings if they are part of his description of what he did to Israel as a nation.

I wonder how the church admonition to focus on inner beauty plays in.

Based on those other verses, though, it seems I would have to agree that the earrings had some other significance linked to idol worship if they took them out when they abandoned their idols.

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
I just remembered Rebekah getting a gold nose ring as part of her engagement to Isaac.

After the camels had finished drinking, the man took a gold ring weighing half a shekel, and for her wrists two bracelets weighing 10 shekels of gold [...] Then I asked her: Whose daughter are you? She responded, ‘The daughter of Bethuel son of Nahor, whom Milcah bore to him.’ So I put the ring on her nose and the bracelets on her wrists. - Genesis 24:22,47

Also! I just remembered God's description of Israel as I wrote the above:

I made you thrive like plants of the field. You grew up and matured and became very beautiful. Your breasts were formed and your hair grew, but you were stark naked.“Then I passed by you and saw you, and you were indeed at the age for love. So I spread the edge of My garment over you and covered your nakedness. I pledged Myself to you, entered into a covenant with you, and you became Mine.” This is the declaration of the Lord God.“I washed you with water, rinsed off your blood, and anointed you with oil.I clothed you in embroidered cloth and provided you with leather sandals. I also wrapped you in fine linen and covered you with silk.I adorned you with jewelry, putting bracelets on your wrists and a chain around your neck.I put a ring in your nose, earrings on your ears, and a beautiful tiara on your head.So you were adorned with gold and silver, and your clothing was made of fine linen, silk, and embroidered cloth. You ate fine flour, honey, and oil. You became extremely beautiful and attained royalty.Your fame spread among the nations because of your beauty, for it was perfect through My splendor, which I had bestowed on you.” This is the declaration of the Lord God. - Ezekiel 16:7-14

This would seem to say God is alright with ear and nose piercings if they are part of his description of what he did to Israel as a nation.

I wonder how the church admonition to focus on inner beauty plays in.

Based on those other verses, though, it seems I would have to agree that the earrings had some other significance linked to idol worship if they took them out when they abandoned their idols.

Both of those references you quoted were in relation to marriage as well. A lifelong commitment.

Back