Dutch Christian boatmaker aims to sail his exact replica of Noah’s Ark to Israel

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
For two years, the world’s only seaworthy life-size replica of Noah’s Ark has been wowing passengers traveling along Holland’s Maas River.

Built according to the specifications detailed in the Hebrew Bible, the 390-foot-long vessel towers to a height of 75 feet. It boasts enough wood to fell 12,000 trees. And its distinct form dominates the coastline of the small town hosting it deep in southern Holland’s so-called Bible Belt.

Dwarfing even some modern-day cruise ships, the ark instantly became an international tourist attraction when it was completed in 2012 after four years of construction.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/dutch-christian-boatmaker-to-sail-his-life-size-replica-of-noahs-ark-to-israel/

I didn't know about this ark... Just from looking at the picture I don't think it can be an exact replica. It looks like it has glass or plexiglass windows in the sides. Interesting though.

RonJohnSilver

I question the wisdom of moving it. Although it's called "seaworthy", being stationary in a river is not the same as being on the ocean, even if they stay relatively close to shore. Also, if it's a true replica, how is it steered, or powered? Barges, which is what I have heard it called, are towed. I assume that's how they'll get it there. Still, in my non-nautical experience, big things usually do best when left alone.

Kaatje

Sorry guys, but it is old news.

It was over 2 years ago that Johan Huibers made plans to move the ark on huge pontoons to the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro. He hoped to welcome large numbers of people at the ark during the 2016 Olympic Games. However, they failed to get enough money for transport. So it was towed to the city Krimpen aan de IJssel where it has been on the quay eversince.

Now Huibers is making new plans to get the ark towed to Israel, and he is also busy with another project involving water and the Holy Land. He has designed a gravity-based system that he says would transport water from the coastal desalinization plants through the desert and into the shrinking Dead Sea.

For more information (in Dutch and English): https://israelcnn.com/articles/20181124-01?fbclid=IwAR3qN8W8OfMpXF5YGWQ_STtGDopFmC4EzE39yFuXpeQZsojDjjdLq1D7e8o