Driverless Cars

MikeD

The day this ever comes about is the day I give up my CDL and stay home for good! Would definitely be retirement time, that's for sure...

SteveJM

WRONG! The last time I tried to use a "Tom-Tom", I renamed it "Dumb-Dumb".

Same here! My wife and I were on our way home to Michigan from a vacation in South Carolina. I made arrangements to meet a former coworker in North Carolina for lunch. Tom Tom was very stupid and kept telling us to go the wrong direction. We finally had to mute it and go with online maps.

Mike, I hear you too. My brother was a truck driver for many years, now he's semi retired and drives a truck for food banks. My wife's cousin who lives in Indianapolis, use to drive from Chicago to Memphis, and he along with my brother have told me some stories about crazy and stupid drivers, and GPS. I just watched a show about the most deadliest roads, and one was down south, where a big problem was GPS directing truckers onto this road with multiple sharp turns and nowhere to turn around. The truckers had no choice but to go across both lanes of the road on blind curves resulting in many crashes, injuries, and many deaths.

In theory they may be able to make this work, but in the real world with technology glitches, crumbling infrastructure, deficits, cities going bankrupt, etc, I don't see it happening, not wide scale anyway.

nillapoet

I saw a working prototype a year ago.

I'll stick to driving my own car. Not that I'm not confident in the car's abilities, but because I'd rather have control in avoiding the other drivers that don't know how to drive.

WKUHilltopper

I saw a working prototype a year ago.

I'll stick to driving my own car. Not that I'm not confident in the car's abilities, but because I'd rather have control in avoiding the other drivers that don't know how to drive.

GM already has a ton of driver-less cars--they're called Volts.

YeuEmMaiMai

no problem with this as long as they give me a way to manually override it. Anyone familliar with Airbus and their original automated system knows exactly what I am talking about when it comes to a lack of a manual override....