Dresses!!!!

Lynn

Longing for Home
Because it’s so hard to final modest but attractive tops and dresses I’ve started learning to sew. I LOVE linen, but who can afford linen clothing?! However, you can buy it online affordable. I’ve made 2 cute linen tops. Each cost me $10, which was the coast of the fabric. Plus I can make the necklines modest.
Kerbluey, what pattern did you use for the tops you sewed? I've been thinking of doing some sewing myself for exactly the reason you stated.

Kerbluey

Kerbluey, what pattern did you use for the tops you sewed? I've been thinking of doing some sewing myself for exactly the reason you stated.

There‘s a young lady on YouTube who shows you how to draft simple garments based on your measurements. I followed her tutorial for tops. It was very easy to do. I did have to tweak my pattern a bit as it was a bit tight at the armhole, but I suspect “user error” on that. Her channel title is Thoughtful Creativity. You’re going to wonder about her slight accent. She’s Russian. :) There are a lot of sewing tutorials on YouTube too in case you’re a complete beginner. I have my mom to show me.

I’m currently making a dress using these draft-it-yourself instructions, linked below. Her neckline is too low for me, but that’s the beauty of it….she shows you how to adjust that in her video. My version will have a higher neckline and mid calf length.

http://lowpricefabric.blogspot.com/2014/03/diy-maxi-dress-tutorial-w-mimi-g.html#.YNPqyS08Lmr

Lynn

Longing for Home
There‘s a young lady on YouTube who shows you how to draft simple garments based on your measurements. I followed her tutorial for tops. It was very easy to do.
Thank you, Kerbluey :hug
I love YouTube tutorials. This evening I watched a great one from Mary's Nest on making sauerkraut. She's such a sweet lady and she's also very knowledgeable. I recommend her site, if anyone's interested in kefir, sauerkraut or fermented foods in general.

Kerbluey

I finished my dress using the drafting pattern linked above, and it looks great. I’ll be making another soon as I get my sewing machine working. I used some $2-a-yard knit from Hobby Lobby’s clearance section. It has a busy colorful pattern, which I chose intentionally to cover any mistakes.

Leigh

Let me know what you come up with. :nod
Robin it's been a month since we were discussing this and I'm sure it's long forgotten, but just to let you know - I never did do anything with the dress to define the waist. I'm wearing it with a thin brown belt that doesn't match, and it's fine for now although I need to look for the same style belt in white.

Recently I ordered a couple of knit dresses off Walmart's website that they don't have in the store. Just for fun I chose loud floral prints and soon after, was watching a video on Youtube about fashion mistakes never to make. One of the mistakes is buying clothes in prints that look like your grandma's curtains. :nono Very aging.

So I put on one of the new dresses and asked John, "Does this dress make me look like I'm wearing my grandmother's curtains??" He thought that question was out of left field! Not understanding what I was getting at he said, "Uh... I don't remember what your grandmother's curtains looked like, but I don't think it does."

I laughed and told him about the video; he said it was fine and wear it anyway. I've since gotten two compliments on the dress from two young women, so I'm going to wear it and have a good time. :biggrin

Here is the dress (which is short on the model, but it hits me just below the knee which is where I want it). I got it in Blue Cove Floral. Not the tiny blue cove DITSY floral print, but the big Blue Cove Floral print.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Time-and-Tru-Women-s-Sleeveless-Knit-Dress/970684850

I also got another one just like it but with a hot pink background.

Last edited:

LindaLove

Robin it's been a month since we were discussing this and I'm sure it's long forgotten, but just to let you know - I never did do anything with the dress to define the waist. I'm wearing it with a thin brown belt that doesn't match, and it's fine for now although I need to look for the same style belt in white.

Recently I ordered a couple of knit dresses off Walmart's website that they don't have in the store. Just for fun I chose loud floral prints and soon after, was watching a video on Youtube about fashion mistakes never to make. One of the mistakes is buying clothes in prints that look like your grandma's curtains. :nono Very aging.

So I put on one of the new dresses and asked John, "Does this dress make me look like I'm wearing my grandmother's curtains??" He thought that question was out of left field! Not understanding what I was getting at he said, "Uh... I don't remember what your grandmother's curtains looked like, but I don't think it does."

I laughed and told him about the video; he said it was fine and wear it anyway. I've since gotten two compliments on the dress from two young women, so I'm going to wear it and have a good time. :biggrin

Here is the dress (which is short on the model, but it hits me just below the knee which is where I want it). I got it in Blue Cove Floral. Not the tiny blue cove DITSY floral print, but the big Blue Cove Floral print.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Time-and-Tru-Women-s-Sleeveless-Knit-Dress/970684850

I also got another one just like it but with a hot pink background.
I love this dress, I'm sure it looks great on you! I wish I could order dresses like this online, but I'm too tall and they always look to way to short on me. I purchased a sewing machine, patterns and fabric and few months back, but haven't started to learn what to do with it all yet. Dresses like this, both sleeveless and long sleeve, are what I was hoping to sew with the length hitting middle to top knee area.

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
I am not tall nor thin. Short and lots of lovely lady lumps. I am always attracted to bright colors and loud patterns. I have been told (yes, actually told by other women) that I should not wear patterned pants because of my weight. I give their opinions zero attention and continue to wear exuberant clothes that make me happy.

RobinB

I haven't found much in that regard either, and actually haven't been wearing my dresses. Have found that little cover-up skirts I used to wear with bathing suits are really comfy to wear with tee shirts while working at home on hot days. :nod

Kerbluey

That’s a beautiful print! One thing about getting older is you lose interest in other’s opinions about you, lol. I bought some beautiful batik for a cool summer dress. It’s a pastel caramel design with white and pastel teal flowers. I washed it up only to have it come out of the dryer crispy. Come to find out quilting cotton isn’t good for clothing. But I’m making a dress out of it anyway!! It won’t be as drapery as I want, but the fabric is too beautiful to pack away.

Lynn

Longing for Home
It’s a pastel caramel design with white and pastel teal flowers. I washed it up only to have it come out of the dryer crispy. Come to find out quilting cotton isn’t good for clothing. But I’m making a dress out of it anyway!! It won’t be as drapery as I want, but the fabric is too beautiful to pack away.
Kerbluey, your fabric sounds very nice. Don't despair over its crispness after the first washing. Some of that is due to fillers that's put in the fabric, even if it says quilting cotton. I've sewn with quilting cotton many times over the years, and not all 100% cottons are as soft as others. I have several lap quilts each made with a different quilting cotton to prove it. Right now, I'm sitting under a lap quilt that I made 20+ years ago. It's beautifully soft after many, many washings. And, if the colors weren't so faded, I could easily refashion it into an article of clothing and it would be comfortable for wearing.
Regarding your new fabric, I would wash it again, using some baking soda in wash cycle, and vinegar in rinse cycle. Eventually, this fabric will soften over time. Also, before it's fully dry, you could put the dryer setting to fluff, air dry, if you have settings like that. When you finish sewing your dress with this fabric, I hope you post a pic. I bet it's going to be lovely.

RobinB

Also want to share a trick with you guys. Recently I've noticed that if I like something online and put it in my cart (not Amazon, small companies) and then leave the site because I don't want to pay shipping, sometimes in a day or 2 I get a coupon for free shipping and then happily order the item. So on occasion the Big Brotherness works in our favor. :cheer