Dresses!!!!

Wings Like Eagles

When I was younger, I dressed up for anything and everything. Being a military wife gave me more opportunities to dress up, too, and that was always fun. I loved romantic, dramatic dresses, ruffles, lace, velvet, dress styles from the 40s and 50s. The bigger and fuller the skirt, the better. One time, I had to sneak into the closet at church to remove my petticoat, because my choir robe wouldn't fit over my skirt. I tend to wear separates now, skirts and tops or sweaters, but I still like to dress over the top sometimes. It's so much fun. When my youngest daughter and I go out together, we like to dress up. And did I mention you can never have too many sequins or crystals? (And boots. I have a pair with lots of teal, Swarovski crystals.) Except for boots, my shoes are a bit more sensible than when I went everywhere in four inch heels.
Some of the prettiest, special-occasion dresses I have found are from India--beautiful fabrics and quite modest. Because I am somewhat petite and have very narrow shoulders, most dresses these days, gape open on me at the plunging necklines that are offered in European or N. American clothing (plus, most appear to be made in China anyway). I find it annoying and I refuse to wear immodest clothing or look like a kid dressed up in her mother's clothes (although my mother was barely 5 ft. tall). But, I usually wear petite-length jeans, slacks or the occasional pantsuit, when I go out. Other than that, I will wear a skirt and top/blouse/sweater of one sort or another. Invariably, I have to hem them before I wear them as it is difficult to find attractive, petite-lengths in most clothing (my 11-year-old granddaughter is my height--and she isn't particularly tall for her age). Around the house, I prefer to wear nice lounging wear--very comfortable. :)

ChildofLight

Since I wear jeans a lot being a farm girl, I do get tired of them. I’m also tired of the 2 piece whether pants or skirts. I used to like the prairie dresses but I seem to be tripping over the hems lately. I have always loved the dresses like my mom and aunts wore. They were usually shifts or shirt-waist dresses at or below the knee. Can’t find dresses in the stores and what’s there is horrible style or fabric. I was thumbing through the Lands End catalog a while back and saw these nightgowns reasonably priced. The styles were varied and colors. They look like dresses. I ordered 1 to check out the fabric quality which is wonderful. I ordered several to wear as dresses with or without belt. Have received compliments on them. I bought a nightgown at Vermont General Store and cut the sleeves off and the neckline lower for a slip.

Cindy S.

When he comes, will he find faith? Luke 18:8
I know what you mean about Amazon. Most of my casual dresses have come from Kohl's, Cato, and Walmart. I like the Time and Tru brand from Walmart.

I also have a couple from JCPenney and Belk, but I think our JCPenney has closed. Oh and I have a couple from Old Navy.
I went shopping along the lakeshore last weekend and had so much fun going to boutiques. I've always been a Cato, Kohls girl, too.
I didn't know boutiques had shoes and I always assumed boutiques were only for slim women.

RobinB

I went shopping along the lakeshore last weekend and had so much fun going to boutiques. I've always been a Cato, Kohls girl, too.
I didn't know boutiques had shoes and I always assumed boutiques were only for slim women.

I miss hitting the boutiques in Baltimore, Annapolis and down in the resort area of St Michael's. You could always find unique items in the stores, much of it locally made.

Lynn

Longing for Home
Yesterday, went shopping for dresses at JC Penney's and found three. They will make nice spring & summer wear for church, but I'd also love to find some casual knit dresses with pockets for daily wear. Old Navy had some, but I don't particularly like stripes. I also checked at Cracker Barrel, but since it's Memorial Day weekend, most of their displays were red, white and blue with patriotic patterns. I don't generally purchase anything with holiday themes.

Channah

I love casual dresses with pockets. Costco had some nice dresses. I also love leather dresses and sparkly dresses with lots of sequins (I don't wear them much) and Haute Hippy dresses. Max Studios are another favorite and definitely Eileen Fisher clothes. Did you know you could practically buy only 6 pieces of Eileen Fisher clothes and mix and match them and you can still come up with different outfits all the time?

ChildofLight

Yesterday, went shopping for dresses at JC Penney's and found three. They will make nice spring & summer wear for church, but I'd also love to find some casual knit dresses with pockets for daily wear. Old Navy had some, but I don't particularly like stripes. I also checked at Cracker Barrel, but since it's Memorial Day weekend, most of their displays were red, white and blue with patriotic patterns. I don't generally purchase anything with holiday themes.
I purchased a couple of cotton knit dresses from Vermont Country Store. They are a little pricey but the quality is great and they’ll last for quite a few years. They fall just below the knee and have pockets in the side. They feel great, comfortable and cool. They arrived within 2weeks.
This is a link to the ones I purchased, the pink n green. https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/-florals-cotton-a-line-dress/product/47309

RobinB

Leigh

I found a cute tropical print dress at Lidl last week for $8 or $10. Now it's not anything I'll wear to meet the Queen... should that opportunity ever arise :cool:... but for these near-100 degree days when working around the house and making a run down to Walmart, it's perfect.

I actually am trying to figure out a way to define the waist (other than with a belt) to give it a little shape so it doesn't look like I'm wearing a potato sack. :scratch

ChildofLight

I found a cute tropical print dress at Lidl last week for $8 or $10. Now it's not anything I'll wear to meet the Queen... should that opportunity ever arise :cool:... but for these near-100 degree days when working around the house and making a run down to Walmart, it's perfect.

I actually am trying to figure out a way to define the waist (other than with a belt) to give it a little shape so it doesn't look like I'm wearing a potato sack. :scratch
An attractive scarf? Folded in half at angle and tied on the side while the other side comes down to a point? I’ve worn the long scarves tied as a belt but I was a lot skinnier back then.

Leigh

Let me know what you come up with. :nod
Okay, I have an idea but don't know how well it will work. I'll update when I give it at try. :)
An attractive scarf? Folded in half at angle and tied on the side while the other side comes down to a point? I’ve worn the long scarves tied as a belt but I was a lot skinnier back then.
That's a good idea, but it will need to be a solid scarf since the dress has a tropical print; I don't think I have anything right now that would look right. Scarves do make great belts though!! :thumbup

RobinB

I used to have a little plastic circle that served as a tee shirt knotter, to draw the shirt in to make it more fitted. That might work.

Kerbluey

Because it’s so hard to final modest but attractive tops and dresses I’ve started learning to sew. I LOVE linen, but who can afford linen clothing?! However, you can buy it online affordable. I’ve made 2 cute linen tops. Each cost me $10, which was the coast of the fabric. Plus I can make the necklines modest.