Dr. James Dobson's Open Letter to All Christians Regarding the Upcoming Election

usoutpost31

I never said anyone was "a bad person" for not voting. I also respect anyone who does not vote.

Am I a bad person for overeating which is a sin? In fact, I don't even call a homosexual a bad person, when I say the act is a sin. If you drive over the speed limit which I do from time to time, it is a sin. So does that mean I am calling anyone who drives over the speed limit a bad person?

Look we all sin, so if anyone is offended by pointing out a sin, then I guess they will be offended all the time.

That wasn't directed at you but at some of the other people I've come across (not on this forum). Been told more than once that Jesus himself will deny Trump supporters before the Father.

I don't know when who we choose to vote for became a salvation issue but for some people, apparently it is.

I still consider voting to be a good thing but It's that kind of treatment that can turn people off to the whole process.

JSTyler

Been told more than once that Jesus himself will deny Trump supporters before the Father.
Yeah, I got something like that. Apparently the :devilish owns my soul for being a Trump voter. Then again the co-worker/friend/brother?/lost person that screamed it at me while purple in the face and sweating profusely goes to one of those rainbow flag churches and only acknowledges the red letters in The Mess(age) paraphrase abomination. I told him I still loved him and made him hug me a bit later. We do have a decent and cordial relationship. Hmmm..I should buy him a nice NKJV study Bible.

Andy C

Im voting for Pat Paulsen. Then, Im going to go to Florida so I can vote twice. However, I have been lifting weights so I should have no problems pushing the “hanging chads” all the way through the ballot. :lol

Vote your conscience, not peer pressure. Whoever you vote for its between you, and NOBODY else.

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
Yeah, I got something like that. Apparently the :devilish owns my soul for being a Trump voter. Then again the co-worker/friend/brother?/lost person that screamed it at me while purple in the face and sweating profusely goes to one of those rainbow flag churches and only acknowledges the red letters in The Mess(age) paraphrase abomination. I told him I still loved him and made him hug me a bit later. We do have a decent and cordial relationship. Hmmm..I should buy him a nice NKJV study Bible.
My brother refuses to speak with anyone other than me who voted for Trump. He also told me a few months back that Trump is the Antichrist.
Last week when I spoke with him, he changed his mind and said that Trump was not the Antichrist, but was the Devil! :diablo

Last edited:

katt

While I agree we should all vote, but how is failure to vote a sin? What sin is it?

It's giving your vote away and giving it to the party that lays it's children at the feet of their baby killing God moloch.

That's the sin of it..figuratively in human terms...in God's terms?...I won't speak for him....the bible does that...

Andy C

It's giving your vote away and giving it to the party that lays it's children at the feet of their baby killing God moloch.

That's the sin of it..figuratively in human terms...in God's terms?...I won't speak for him....the bible does that...
The democrats are the owners of abortion, but the GOP gladly pays rent. We (GOP) had the house, senate, and presidency for the first 2 years of Trump - did nothing to try and thwart abortion.

Everyone, please vote, but rest assured if you feel led to not vote, ITS NOT A SIN. Why is is so difficult to understand?

katt

The democrats are the owners of abortion, but the GOP gladly pays rent. We (GOP) had the house, senate, and presidency for the first 2 years of Trump - did nothing to try and thwart abortion.

Everyone, please vote, but rest assured if you feel led to not vote, ITS NOT A SIN. Why is is so difficult to understand?

We can't help what the parties do or don't do after they are elected..all we can do is look at their platforms and vote accordingly..we will not be held accountable for the blood of those aborted babies if we vote with our eyes wide open for the party with the platform that is against abortion....there are bad republicans..establishment ones that are part of the swamp..and I've spent almost four years trying to pray all Bad Democrats and bad Republicans out of DC...has it worked...only God knows...

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
We can't help what the parties do or don't do after they are elected..all we can do is look at their platforms and vote accordingly..we will not be held accountable for the blood of those aborted babies if we vote with our eyes wide open for the party with the platform that is against abortion....there are bad republicans..establishment ones that are part of the swamp..and I've spent almost four years trying to pray all Bad Democrats and bad Republicans out of DC...has it worked...only God knows...

A lot but not nearly all of the RINOs didn't seek re-election 2 years ago, so the republican party is a little bit more likely to produce good results now if they get a chance. They still have plenty of RINOs in the mix, unfortunately...

JSTyler

A lot but not nearly all of the RINOs didn't seek re-election 2 years ago, so the republican party is a little bit more likely to produce good results now if they get a chance. They still have plenty of RINOs in the mix, unfortunately...
Paul Ryan led this betrayal. This was a blatant attempt at aiding the coup attempts aimed at the POTUS. It stacked the odds in favor of the dems taking the house, and add to those odds the ridiculous levels of cheating and outright fraud at the ballot boxes... Those rinos are the same brand of enemy to freedom and the Constitution as are the current batch of prog-dems. At least we came to understand the depth of deception and deceit the deep state was employing against the "system". Much like fox news, it was/is all coordinated, controlled opposition.

JSTyler

I read through this thread yesterday and was mixed on my thoughts about the whole vote-not-vote thing and how it may or may not equate to sin. I was unable to sit for any length of time and tap something even semi-coherent out. And I may not be able do so now but here goes...

And rather than throw a blanket answer over the whole thing I'll personalize it. My understanding of sin is that sin is the missing of the mark, not by any particular degree or the result of many repetitions but simply, missing the mark, just once is enough to make me a sinner. I've blown it. I also understand that it can be equated to something like wandering away from where I should be. Just a little bit, even a small step, from where I should be and I'm lost. I've blown it.

The implicate in both understandings is that sin is anything which takes me or removes me from acceptability to the prime standard of measure...This is where I say, "THANK! YOU! JESUS!"

So, for me, not voting, not doing what little "good" I'm able would be a sin. In this I'd say that we're all islands, meaning no one needs to stand with me, no one can stand with me...I'm on my own before God in this.

I reason that way because though I can intellectually separate myself from the consequences of sin in the eternal sense because again, "Thank You Jesus!" and "For the Bible tells me so..." He called me, saved me, He paid my debt and set me free. In God's eyes, I'm covered and washed clean by the redemptive act of my Savior. The sin is east from west, forgotten utterly in the mind of God The Father. I'm in the clear.

However, I can't separate myself from the consequences of my sin in the temporal sense. I won't pay an eternal price for not voting, for not trying to make what little change is within my feeble ability or grasp, but the folks all around me, quite possibly can and will pay a temporal price as the result of my inaction. I wanna quote pretty much all of the book of James right now but will refrain from that and throw in the verse than lands on me like a mountain every time I desire to turn the other way, or cast a blind eye or a deaf ear upon ANY opportunity I have to do something positive, maybe even Kingdom building in this broken down, lost and dying world...

James 4:17 Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.

I'm assured that God will sort all of this mess out when every knee bows to Him. But for me, now, if I don't vote when I'm able, I've missed that mark and or have wandered off. For me it would be a sin and maybe not just sin but sin in the sense of transgression.

Andy C

I read through this thread yesterday and was mixed on my thoughts about the whole vote-not-vote thing and how it may or may not equate to sin. I was unable to sit for any length of time and tap something even semi-coherent out. And I may not be able do so now but here goes...

And rather than throw a blanket answer over the whole thing I'll personalize it. My understanding of sin is that sin is the missing of the mark, not by any particular degree or the result of many repetitions but simply, missing the mark, just once is enough to make me a sinner. I've blown it. I also understand that it can be equated to something like wandering away from where I should be. Just a little bit, even a small step, from where I should be and I'm lost. I've blown it.

The implicate in both understandings is that sin is anything which takes me or removes me from acceptability to the prime standard of measure...This is where I say, "THANK! YOU! JESUS!"

So, for me, not voting, not doing what little "good" I'm able would be a sin. In this I'd say that we're all islands, meaning no one needs to stand with me, no one can stand with me...I'm on my own before God in this.

I reason that way because though I can intellectually separate myself from the consequences of sin in the eternal sense because again, "Thank You Jesus!" and "For the Bible tells me so..." He called me, saved me, He paid my debt and set me free. In God's eyes, I'm covered and washed clean by the redemptive act of my Savior. The sin is east from west, forgotten utterly in the mind of God The Father. I'm in the clear.

However, I can't separate myself from the consequences of my sin in the temporal sense. I won't pay an eternal price for not voting, for not trying to make what little change is within my feeble ability or grasp, but the folks all around me, quite possibly can and will pay a temporal price as the result of my inaction. I wanna quote pretty much all of the book of James right now but will refrain from that and throw in the verse than lands on me like a mountain every time I desire to turn the other way, or cast a blind eye or a deaf ear upon ANY opportunity I have to do something positive, maybe even Kingdom building in this broken down, lost and dying world...

James 4:17 Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.

I'm assured that God will sort all of this mess out when every knee bows to Him. But for me, now, if I don't vote when I'm able, I've missed that mark and or have wandered off. For me it would be a sin and maybe not just sin but sin in the sense of transgression.
Well reasoned post!

Eric Nicholas

Paul Ryan led this betrayal. This was a blatant attempt at aiding the coup attempts aimed at the POTUS. It stacked the odds in favor of the dems taking the house, and add to those odds the ridiculous levels of cheating and outright fraud at the ballot boxes... Those rinos are the same brand of enemy to freedom and the Constitution as are the current batch of prog-dems. At least we came to understand the depth of deception and deceit the deep state was employing against the "system". Much like fox news, it was/is all coordinated, controlled opposition.
I cannot stand that sh... that... that thingy! Know what I mean, Vern?

Eric Nicholas

Katt's comment to you almost certainly assumes that voting for your side is in no way sinless, which would be incredibly interesting given the fallibility of man. At the very least it is inherent in the comment that we choose which sins we find more acceptable than others. I will never say something along the lines of "Unless you vote for Trump or my politician, you have committed sin!" That to me is grossly offensive and sets a really bad and dishonest standard, as it elevates man to a level of nigh reverence. Frankly, the fat cats on the hill just aren't that impressive. I'm really weary of picking out sins to ignore while blasting the rest of them. That to me is one of my biggest pet peeves.

I'd rather someone say "This is the person's platform that I am able to agree with with despite their (the politician's) sins, the sins of their policies, and how they stuff their pockets with benefits and greenbacks, despite being mere public servants." The last line was snarky, but it is absolutely true. I think that is far more honest to say that, instead of "If you don't vote for my guy, you have sinned." I'd rather voting be looked at as a choice that is informed by Biblical morality and let that be the standard, not our favored political biases. So if I were to vote for Trump (I'll leave you in suspense), it would be for his policies, despite his sin. I must say, I think those optics would have been far more helpful to the conservative cause, opposed to looking at him as our potential last great hope. That builds up a "cult of Trump" or really anyone, so to speak

I think the aforementioned misgivings I have do give way to tribal politics. I think that type of thinking really breathes life into those tribal politics. "You put me in power so I can protect you and mow down those bad guys over there." If that isn't ancient, yet current, I do not know what is.

I agree with you @Andy C.

Last edited: