Dr. James Dobson's Open Letter to All Christians Regarding the Upcoming Election

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
I'd like every eligible voter to vote, but it's a right for eligible voters not a mandate. I agree that citizens in the USA have the right to choose not to vote and it's not my place to mess with their rights.
I never said it was a mandate, nor am I messing with anyone's rights. I just voiced my opinion. So who are you referring to?

Look it is just my opinion. I could say though I would not, that Black Lives Matter is great. Don't I have a right to voice my opinion or can I only say what you agree with? :shrug

ByGod'sGrace

under His wings - Psalm 91:4
That's true, in my first post I did not say that, but I did say it before you responded. Also, this is what I actually said " Personally I think not casting your vote is a sin, maybe a very small sin, but a sin none the less". My understanding of "I think" is basically the same as "my opinion". For those who did not get that, I cleared it up in my subsequent posts. Again, before you responded. :shrug
LOL, it's all good, Goodboy!! Hugs. We are family here, and I value your opinion!

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
I rarely read through entire threads before responding. I generally respond to something that tweaks my interest for some reason and then proceed through the thread.
But in your original post #20, you stated that I said "Just my humble opinion", so you must have read at least one of my subsequent posts.

Here is your original post.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Goodboy said:
Just my humble opinion. Nothing to debate about
In your post on the topic of voting, you didn't present it as just your opinion... Being a born and bred American, I get a little concerned when someone tells me that I'm obligated (on any issue) to do this thing or that thing. If there is any obligation, I want it to be an obligation I impose upon myself, not something that is imposed upon me. It may be a sin for one person to refrain from voting, but not for another.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Brother Albert R.

Jesus loved us and said we should Love our enemies
I agree with you. I have no problems voting for Trump. My point was, it is not a sin to not vote, no scripture IMO even remotely supports that position.
The only thing needed for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing. We are commanded to exercise our gifts...yes voting is a gift that is kept free by those who served. You are right Andy by saying there is no direct scripture, but then again there are many general principles that are in scripture like...for him who knows to do good and does not do it, it is sin.
I hope this helps
God bless
Albert

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Oh sorry, I missed that. With so many post toward me, I just assumed it was toward me. Again, sorry. :hug

Goodboy, when I post, 99% of the time it is directed at the content of a post, not the poster him or herself. In the case of my first post in this thread, I did direct it towards you specifically in addition to the content of your OP. But after the first line or two I shift to my normal way of discussing only the topic itself in a way that isn't directed at the poster but at/for anyone and focused on the topic I'm addressing. I do that purposefully because these postings are a very imperfect way of communicating so there is a huge chance that the readers will not fully understand what the writer intends. The different smileys can help one attempt to show the flavor of the post, whether it is serious, or in jest for example.

If you look at post 41 where you replied to something I posted and highlighted a couple of things I posted. The first thing you highlighted in the reply is legal fact in the USA. Not directed at you in any way, but at the topic of discussion with thoughts that only came from the post I was replying to by ByGod'sGrace. The second part you highlighted is the typical case where I've not only gone generic but I use myself as person "it's not my place to mess with their rights". My meaning is exactly what I said. That was my personal position for my life. If a reader took that to be aimed at them, I'm not sure how more obvious I could be that it isn't. Again it was an on topic comment.

So, sorry if I've riled yer feathers... I guess it's gonna happen from time to time on a Board like this. :hug

I do take our US Constitution and Bill of Rights very seriously. It is evident in how and where I live. While I would hope that every eligible voter would indeed vote, I believe it is wrong to imply that it is a mandate to do so or a sin if one doesn't. There is nothing wrong with having an opinion either way though, IMO.

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
Goodboy, when I post, 99% of the time it is directed at the content of a post, not the poster him or herself. In the case of my first post in this thread, I did direct it towards you specifically in addition to the content of your OP. But after the first line or two I shift to my normal way of discussing only the topic itself in a way that isn't directed at the poster but at/for anyone and focused on the topic I'm addressing. I do that purposefully because these postings are a very imperfect way of communicating so there is a huge chance that the readers will not fully understand what the writer intends. The different smileys can help one attempt to show the flavor of the post, whether it is serious, or in jest for example.

If you look at post 41 where you replied to something I posted and highlighted a couple of things I posted. The first thing you highlighted in the reply is legal fact in the USA. Not directed at you in any way, but at the topic of discussion with thoughts that only came from the post I was replying to by ByGod'sGrace. The second part you highlighted is the typical case where I've not only gone generic but I use myself as person "it's not my place to mess with their rights". My meaning is exactly what I said. That was my personal position for my life. If a reader took that to be aimed at them, I'm not sure how more obvious I could be that it isn't. Again it was an on topic comment.

So, sorry if I've riled yer feathers... I guess it's gonna happen from time to time on a Board like this. :hug

I do take our US Constitution and Bill of Rights very seriously. It is evident in how and where I live. While I would hope that every eligible voter would indeed vote, I believe it is wrong to imply that it is a mandate to do so or a sin if one doesn't. There is nothing wrong with having an opinion either way though, IMO.
It's all good and thanks for the apology. Sorry if I assumed you were continuing to address me with your posts. :hug

Just to be clear to all, while I may or may not have expressed myself in a way that could clearly be understood, I was never trying to make anyone do anything. In fact, if anyone wants to join Black Lives Matter, I will advise them not to, but that's their decision. While I sometimes end up in a debate, my objective is just to educate based on what it is I believe. After anyone reads my post, they are totally free to do as they please. :hug

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
I was much older..... I won't say how much though!!!!:ahaha
Thank you!:)
Well to be fair, my first church had some very excellent teaching and advised everyone to vote giving reasons why. However, we were never told who to vote for, just what the candidates represented. If I had attended some of these ho hum churches we have now, I may still not be voting! :ahaha

usoutpost31

JMO, but the state of politics is such that some people would just wash their hands of the whole thing altogether. Tired of the mud slinging between parties, a politician's ability to lie about anything and feel OK with it. Being told they're a bad person for voting for this person, or that one, or not voting altogether, somebody will fault them for something.

My opinion is we should respect each other enough to let each person make his own decision for his own reasons, even if we don't agree with them.

Andy C

JMO, but the state of politics is such that some people would just wash their hands of the whole thing altogether. Tired of the mud slinging between parties, a politician's ability to lie about anything and feel OK with it. Being told they're a bad person for voting for this person, or that one, or not voting altogether, somebody will fault them for something.

My opinion is we should respect each other enough to let each person make his own decision for his own reasons, even if we don't agree with them.
Completely agree.

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!

I never said anyone was "a bad person" for not voting. I also respect anyone who does not vote.

Am I a bad person for overeating which is a sin? In fact, I don't even call a homosexual a bad person, when I say the act is a sin. If you drive over the speed limit which I do from time to time, it is a sin. So does that mean I am calling anyone who drives over the speed limit a bad person?

Look we all sin, so if anyone is offended by pointing out a sin, then I guess they will be offended all the time.

Last edited:

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
I have friends who are Seventh Day Adventist who believe it is a sin not to worship God on Saturday. We get along fine and their belief never makes me feel shamed, like I am a bad person or any of that. They don't believe I am a bad person either, just that my understanding is incorrect.

So to be very clear, what I stated has nothing at all to do with what I or anyone else should think of the person who does not vote. I am just stating what I believe about the action. If any big or small sin makes one a "Bad Person", then I guess we are all very bad people.

Last edited: