Dozens of deaths reported in Iran due to coronavirus

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Dozens of deaths reported in Iran due to coronavirus
Iranians fear their government isn't reporting full extent of the virus and that hundreds may have already contracted the deadly disease.
Arutz Sheva Staff, 26/02/20
Ali Khameni.

According to various reports, dozens of people have died in the city of Qom, Iran following the spread of the coronavirus in the country. Arutz Sheva interviewed Roy Kahanovich, researcher at the Azrieli Center and author of "Iran and the Persian Gulf" about Iran's treatment of the virus as well as the impact its had on the country's economy and other areas of life. Kahanovich said that most of the details regarding the coronavirus remain obscured from the outside world and that every day fresh reports have surfaced about another country where people have been infected and even died of the disease.

"In Iran, the virus has spread and while only a few deaths have been reported so far, available data indicates that the virus has already claimed a few dozen patients in the city of Qom alone. Information about the virus is very vague and it's difficult to make an assessment of what exactly is going on there." Kahanovich notes that Iran's sealing its borders with Turkey, Pakistan and Iraq due to widespread fear of infection serves as a strong indication of the extent of the virus. "Above all, the Iranian concern is that the virus will affect the economy, [resulting in] investments that will not reach a country already mired in financial distress."

"The regime is claiming that the low percentages in the last parliamentary elections held on February 21 are a direct result of [panic caused by the] virus." Kahanovich says he doubts the virus is the actual cause of the low voter turnout and that a more likely culprit is a general feeling of disgust many - especially amongst the younger generation – feel for the regime. He says the politicians are just using the virus as an excuse. "The interest in the issue stems from the Iranian Deputy Minister of Health, the representative of the health system, being infected with the virus himself, but the infection can strike anywhere," Kahanovich says.

"The health system in Iran is very problematic. It's very outdated and the big concern there and in similar countries that do not possess advanced health systems is having to deal with a virus that requires relatively sophisticated respiratory systems." Regarding the prospects of Iran requesting aid from the international community while ignoring concerns for its security threats, Kahanovich says that, "As far as we're aware, they are in no hurry to ask for help, despite it being offered to them. For now, the Iranian people are asking questions based on natural and understandable concerns, but "the answers are vague," says Kahanovich, referring to past incidents which raised questions about the regime.

"In the case of the Ukrainian passenger plane [that was shot down accidentally by the Iranian army] everything [the regime was saying] was false, and the truth emerged only after public pressure was applied. In Iran, things take a long time. [The regime] is trying to understand what's going on and whether they should turn to other countries for help. This is an event that caught on in Iran just 3-4 days ago and in the meantime, it's difficult to determine the facts. They don't know how many people have been infected, or how many have died."

Kahanovich reiterates that the greatest Iranian concern is the damage to the economy especially in light of the hardships that have begun to plague the rogue state following sanctions imposed by the Trump administration, the drought and recent street protests organized by young people hoping for a brighter future.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/276527

InsuranceGuy

Personally, I believe all governments are lying right now about this virus. With such a long incubation period, there is no way anyone can have an accurate count, so everyone seems to be taking the lowest total possible and dividing it by 100 or so. The underreporting is hideous. The hospitals I have to go in give much different stories than what I read online. They are worried. Investors are worried. People are worried in general. Until it's a full blown pandemic, I don't think the governments will tell us much in the way of truth.

I bought Clorox wipes and wiped down the house today. The hospital nurse told me she would suggest doing that every couple of days now, if not every day, at least until we know what's truly going on. So, that's what I'll do. Better safe than sorry. Other shoppers at Target must have had the same idea as the Clorox wipes are right in the main aisle now.

Lovin Jesus

Until recently I never worried much about germs, now I am. I have hand sanitizer with me at all times and use it after I open public doors or touch anything in a store. I don't really feel scared about it but I certainly am extra careful now.

DanLMP

In one TV newscast that I saw regarding Iran, during an announcement by Iranian health officials it was clear that one of the announcers was sick, supposedly with the virus.

Their is one thing that will get government leaders to react quicker and better and that is when those leaders themselves start getting sick.