Don’t Worry About Nothin’

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Don’t Worry About Nothin’
By Grant Phillips

My wife and I have always enjoyed watching the Rocky movies, specifically the first four. We were watching Rocky II one evening and I happened to realize that Rocky had quoted part of a Bible verse.

Rocky was saying goodbye to his newborn son as he was preparing to leave and fight Apollo Creed once more for the heavy weight boxing championship. As he leaned over the crib, he told his son, “Don’t worry about nothin’.”

Philippians 4:6 begins with, “Be anxious for nothing.” Better translated, it says, “Don’t worry about anything,” or as Rocky would say, “Don’t worry about nothin’.” I like that.

Philippians 4:6-7 states, “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”

Our world of today is topsy-turvy in what God originally intended for mankind. We are standing on our head, neck deep in rebellion against a holy God. Many in our society who are still sane, Christians and non-Christians alike, are wondering what in the world has happened to us and how did it happen so rapidly.

As I look around at what we have become, I can only hear the gurgling of water as it quickly drains from the tub. We are dying spiritually and don’t even know it.

I am reminded of Noah and his world of many years ago, just before the flood.

“But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.” (Matthew 24:37-39)

In the book of Luke is recorded Jesus’ further example of the days of Lot.

“And as it was in the days of Noah, so it will be also in the days of the Son of Man: They ate, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed them all. Likewise as it was also in the days of Lot: They ate, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they built; but on the day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven and destroyed them all. Even so will it be in the day when the Son of Man is revealed.” (Luke 17:26-30)

We know that every imaginable sin against God was being committed in those days, just as they are today. We know they were going about their lives as if God did not exist, but were suddenly awakened to the truth when it was too late. God’s patience ran out and was replaced with His judgment against all those in rebellion.

“By faith Noah, being divinely warned of things not yet seen, moved with godly fear, prepared an ark for the saving of his household, by which he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness which is according to faith.” (Hebrews 11:7)

Those of Noah’s day had never seen rain or waters gush up from the ground. They had never experienced a flood, but the flood of all floods was coming. For 120 years Noah warned his generation, but they would not listen.

Those of Lot’s day had no fear of God, but they too were destroyed. God rained fire and brimstone down upon them and destroyed them all.

For almost two thousand years God has been warning mankind of judgment to come. Unfortunately, most of mankind is just as bull-headed as they were in Noah and Lot’s days. Most today are just repeating the actions of those of long ago.

“Most importantly, I want to remind you that in the last days scoffers will come, mocking the truth and following their own desires. They will say, “What happened to the promise that Jesus is coming again? From before the times of our ancestors, everything has remained the same since the world was first created.” (2 Peter 3:3-4)

Most of you who know the Lord have probably heard those comments as you have witnessed to others about Jesus’ return. Listen to Peter’s response.

“But you must not forget this one thing, dear friends: A day is like a thousand years to the Lord, and a thousand years is like a day. The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent. But the day of the Lord will come as unexpectedly as a thief. Then the heavens will pass away with a terrible noise, and the very elements themselves will disappear in fire, and the earth and everything on it will be found to deserve judgment.” (2 Peter 3:8-10)

Sometimes, even Christians will wonder why Jesus is taking so long to return for us, but “a day is like a thousand years to the Lord, and a thousand years is like a day.” That’s not all though. Notice what Peter repeats in the next few verses.

“And remember, our Lord’s patience gives people time to be saved. This is what our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you with the wisdom God gave him— I am warning you ahead of time, dear friends. Be on guard so that you will not be carried away by the errors of these wicked people and lose your own secure footing. Rather, you must grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. All glory to him, both now and forever! Amen.” (2 Peter 3:15, 17-18)

Thank God for His patience. Because of His patience, many have had time to come to Him and be saved. That should be the way we look at it. Yes! Absolutely! We want the Lord to return, but our waiting a little while longer gives us more time to witness and for someone to turn to Him to be saved.

Peter closes by warning us to not be swayed by the wickedness that is all around us, but instead “grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.”

In the meantime, as we witness and prayerfully hope that others accept Jesus as their Savior, they too then could have the frame of mind…“Don’t worry about nothin’,” for we are safe in His hands.

“My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. I and My Father are one.” (John 10:27-30)

https://www.raptureforums.com/spiritual-life/dont-worry-about-nothin/

Back