Does God say to love yourself?

dreamermind

Everyone tells me I should love myself. Be kind and pamper yourself, do what makes you happy etc. But it seems kind of selfish to me. And I really don’t even like myself some of the time. I strive to be and do good, but am such a horrible failure at it, I just don’t get how believers can do it. I always thought we are to love others above ourselves, which I fail at too somehow. I guess in the world it makes sense but my Christian friends even say it and some Christian preachers preach it too.

Romans 7:15;
“I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.”

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Don't be down, Paul says that no matter how hard he tried to do good things he always fell in a sense falling back into old sinful habits every now and again , It's the daily struggle in the christians life of the flesh v the spirit.

As long as you believe in Jesus and have accepted him as your saviour he is faithful to forgive you of your sins so take heart in that.

“And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.” - Mark 12:30-31, KJV

Pray to God Daily and try maybe reading the 1-2 passages in the book of Psalms a day , it really does bring a bit of joy.

The main thing that matters is that GOD loves all of his creation fiercely !

dreamermind

Don't be down, Paul says that no matter how hard he tried to do good things he always fell in a sense falling back into old sinful habits every now and again , It's the daily struggle in the christians life of the flesh v the spirit.

As long as you believe in Jesus and have accepted him as your saviour he is faithful to forgive you of your sins so take heart in that.

“And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.” - Mark 12:30-31, KJV

Pray to God Daily and try maybe reading the 1-2 passages in the book of Psalms a day , it really does bring a bit of joy.

The main thing that matters is that GOD loves all of his creation fiercely !

Thanks. I do read scripture, listen to teachings and Christian music every day but everything seems to stay the same. I was just wondering if we are supposed to be happy with who we are even when we don’t like who we are. I am grateful Jesus has saved me because really that is all I can ask for. :)

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Thanks. I do read scripture, listen to teachings and Christian music every day but everything seems to stay the same. I was just wondering if we are supposed to be happy with who we are even when we don’t like who we are. I am grateful Jesus has saved me because really that is all I can ask for. :)

Pray to God to help him sanctify your spirit and to help you to continue to grow in your christian life.
Jesus accepts you for who you are and loves you very much , you should also accept yourself as well.

I hope this sorta helps

Jan51

The Bible does not tell us to love ourselves. We are to deny self. Self is deceitful and wicked. It does say we are to love our neighbor as ourself. So what does the Bible mean by love? Like? Affection? No, "agape" love is not warm fuzzy feelings but rather, actions--doing what is best for the one loved. God loved us by giving His Son. Jesus loved us by dying for our sins. We are not commanded to like each other. Many do not even like themselves. But even those who dislike themselves see that their basic needs are met: food, shelter, clothing, etc. This is now we are to love our neighbor.

Psychology is the worship of Self. This is how the world operates. Unfortunately, psychology has permeated the church, and this unbiblical concept has been perverted into supposedly biblical love.

We are to love the Lord first, others next, and Self last.

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
Everyone tells me I should love myself. Be kind and pamper yourself, do what makes you happy etc. But it seems kind of selfish to me. And I really don’t even like myself some of the time. I strive to be and do good, but am such a horrible failure at it, I just don’t get how believers can do it. I always thought we are to love others above ourselves, which I fail at too somehow. I guess in the world it makes sense but my Christian friends even say it and some Christian preachers preach it too.

“I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.”
Dreamermind you sound just like Paul. I am listing more of what he states to the Romans with an emphases on what I put in bold underline.

Rom 7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
Rom 7:16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
Rom 7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Rom 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
Rom 7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
Rom 7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Rom 7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
Rom 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
Rom 7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
Rom 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Paul does not think much of himself without Christ and with Christ he gives Christ all the credit for whatever he does.

twerpv

I can say for myself, the closer I get to Christ the less I like my human self. The only time I truly “love” myself (if I can call it that) is when I am being obedient to Him.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
The Bible does not tell us to love ourselves. We are to deny self. Self is deceitful and wicked. It does say we are to love our neighbor as ourself. So what does the Bible mean by love? Like? Affection? No, "agape" love is not warm fuzzy feelings but rather, actions--doing what is best for the one loved. God loved us by giving His Son. Jesus loved us by dying for our sins. We are not commanded to like each other. Many do not even like themselves. But even those who dislike themselves see that their basic needs are met: food, shelter, clothing, etc. This is now we are to love our neighbor.

Psychology is the worship of Self. This is how the world operates. Unfortunately, psychology has permeated the church, and this unbiblical concept has been perverted into supposedly biblical love.

:thumbup

dreamermind

Dreamermind you sound just like Paul. I am listing more of what he states to the Romans with an emphases on what I put in bold underline.

Rom 7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
Rom 7:16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
Rom 7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Rom 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
Rom 7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
Rom 7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Rom 7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
Rom 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
Rom 7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
Rom 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Paul does not think much of himself without Christ and with Christ he gives Christ all the credit for whatever he does.

I definitely feel all those things. I do feel unworthy even knowing Christ lives within me. So whatever good I can do it would have to be to his credit!

Last edited:

Kem

Citizen

Yes! I get so disgusted with the anti-Biblical tripe that keeps telling us to "love ourselves" and by that they mean to think highly of ourselves, pamper ourselves and on and on.

Accepted

This is a good question! Nowadays we’re inundated with “Love yourself!” “I’m learning to love myself,” and Whitney Houston singing that loving yourself is the “greatest love of all.” In contrast, 2Timothy 3:2 tells us that in the last days, men will be lovers of self, along with being lovers of money, boastful, abusive, etc. So clearly this is sinful behavior. Matthew 16:24 tells us to deny ourselves, pick up our cross, and follow Jesus!

I also think hating ourselves is the opposite trap. The Lord loves us, has exchanged our sin for His righteousness on the Cross, and lavishes grace on us. So I think the balance is to simply be grateful, offer ourselves the same grace that God does, and get our eyes OFF of self and follow Jesus!

dreamermind

This is a good question! Nowadays we’re inundated with “Love yourself!” “I’m learning to love myself,” and Whitney Houston singing that loving yourself is the “greatest love of all.” In contrast, 2Timothy 3:2 tells us that in the last days, men will be lovers of self, along with being lovers of money, boastful, abusive, etc. So clearly this is sinful behavior. Matthew 16:24 tells us to deny ourselves, pick up our cross, and follow Jesus!

I also think hating ourselves is the opposite trap. The Lord loves us, has exchanged our sin for His righteousness on the Cross, and lavishes grace on us. So I think the balance is to simply be grateful, offer ourselves the same grace that God does, and get our eyes OFF of self and follow Jesus!

Well said.

JSTyler

I fell into the 'happy" trap ages ago. I creep back in now an then, I guess because I like making myself miserable now and then.

A few good Bible teachers got it through my head that joy and happiness are two very different things. Being happy requires happenstance (daily circumstances, events, feelings, etc..) to agree with my emotions. That's the trap. How often do I and the life I blunder through offer happy circumstances?

Joy requires that I look to Jesus Christ and find meaning/value in Him. I play simple mind-games to make this work;
I'm not happy that my fingers are crooked, that my joints hurt and that I can no longer play the piano or keyboard BUT I'm joyful that I will have a remade me and fixed hands and fingers when I'm called to my eternal home and new self.
Or;
I'm joyful that the sin I just committed and confessed has been removed east from west from by the blood of my Savior but I'm not happy that I'm the wretched man that will probably do the same and or worse in the next short period of time...

Romans 7
24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?
25 I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.
Romans 8
1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh,
4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Jan51

Being happy requires happenstance (daily circumstances, events, feelings, etc..) to agree with my emotions. That's the trap. How often do I and the life I blunder through offer happy circumstances?

Joy requires that I look to Jesus Christ and find meaning/value in Him. I play simple mind-games to make this work;
I like that! Happiness is about stuff that happens, but joy is about Jesus.

ExultingInHim

I wear a bracelet with the following words engraved on it: "justified glorified adopted redeemed sanctified reconciled uncondemned forgiven beloved"

In this world where everyone wants to "identify" as something, I look at these words to remind me of who I am because of The Great I AM.

If I'm feeling too swell-headed, these words humble me. If I'm feeling unworthy, these words lift me up to Him.

Our pastor frequently reminds us that what we think can be flawed, what we feel can fluctuate daily, but what and WHO we know in Scripture is our foundation.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
I came across this passage yesterday where Christ is praying for His disciples and believers to come and thought of this thread. It has been such a balm to my heart to know that God loves me.

“I have given them the glory you gave me, so they may be one as we are one. I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me. Father, I want these whom you have given me to be with me where I am. Then they can see all the glory you gave me because you loved me even before the world began!

“O righteous Father, the world doesn’t know you, but I do; and these disciples know you sent me. I have revealed you to them, and I will continue to do so. Then your love for me will be in them, and I will be in them.” John 17:22-26

DanLMP

We are to love the Lord first, others next, and Self last

My opinion:

Notice the order and level of importance in that statement.

Notice also that the statement and the sentiment do not say to not love yourself or semi conversely the statement doesn't require you to hate yourself, though I will periodically go through periods of wanting to get away from me because I don't want to be with me anymore.

The adage of "everything in moderation" should apply in a decending scale to the statement.
In loving God, apply no moderation.
In loving others you may apply a little moderation (to avoid the effect of becoming a nuisance or annoyance to them).
In loving yourself you should apply the most moderation.

Also understand that the things that are best to possibly love about yourself are not typically the things that you do but the motivation for the things that you do. And one of your biggest motivations should be working with Father to achieve His goals of doing what is best for His Creation and the beings living in it. One of the best ways of acheiving His goals is by understanding and following the order and level of importance of that statement.

My opinion is that Father, instead of developing an attitude of working in service to Him for His goals, would like us to develop an attitude of working in service with Him for His goals.

He would like us to build into our own world view the same goals that He has in His world view. That way instead of having just servants in His goals He has servants and partners.

JSTyler

Nowhere does Scripture tell us to love ourselves. But it does tell us to love. It tells us to love God with everything in us. And it tells us to love others selflessly, putting them and their welfare ahead of our own.

And conversely, this assumes that we are innately lovers of self (willful, greedy, sinful lovers of self), thus we're commanded in no uncertain terms...__________ <--- Insert mattfivefour's entire post here.