Does God eat?

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
Does God eat?
I would answer that question this way. In my opinion, while God can eat he does not need to eat as God is self sustaining.
I wrote something that I have included below that kind of speaks to this.
Why You Are Not God
There are some who say that we are all Gods. They say that God is in us all if we would just look deep enough and get in touch with our inner selves. I guess it would be nice to be a God, so the thought that we might be could be very tempting. So is it possible that we may be Gods and just don’t know it? Well the most obvious answer to that question is NO, WE ARE ABSOLUTELY NOT GODS.

You are probably thinking that you already know that we are not Gods and you can state several reasons why that is so. You would most likely say things like we can not perform any miraculous feats, we are not perfect, we do not live forever and so on. You would be correct in saying those types of things.

There is another reason however which is far less obvious, which is that we need to eat, drink and breathe to survive. Did you ever really think about that? What that means is that we are not self sustaining. We are always continually dependent on something or someone other than ourselves to survive.

Just think if we did not need to eat, drink or breathe how different our lives would be. Would we need to work? Would we need to submit to or depend on anyone other than ourselves? So that kind of brings up the question of why do we need to eat, drink and breathe? Why did God create us that way? Why didn’t he create us to be self sustaining?

The answer is that God wanted it to be absolutely clear that we are not Gods and that we must depend completely on him. This was not as clear to the angels which I believe is in part why Satan rebelled. Satan thought “I don’t need God or anyone or anything, so why should I worship him.” “Maybe some of the angles should worship me!”

While we as humans still rebel and many of us don’t accept God, it is a least clear to us that we need something other than ourselves to sustain our life. We just get confused on who or what it is we need.

We are not Gods, but we surely do need God!

Rocky R.

Of course God ate. Who do you think Jesus is? He ate for all 33 years of His earthly ministry, and He even ate after rising from the dead. When He appeared before His disciples and they were scared, He asked them, "Do you have anything to eat?" And He ate broiled fish in front of them. I have no doubt He'll eat with us at the marriage supper of the Lamb, and not only that but also in the ages to come in the present Heaven and on the New Earth, I'm sure He'll dine with us around the tables, campfires, and dinner tables. What does the King of the cosmos eat? Anything He wants.

GEOINTAnalyst

I think the better question is "Does God need to Eat"? Yes we know that Jesus, in His incarnation, was a man, but the Bible clearly tells us that God the Father is Spirit. Since God is Spirit He does not require sustenance as we do, He does not have a stomach, intestines, or the like He is Spirit. God when He does eat does so to commune with us, His creation.

JesusGal

Also, Jesus fasted for 40 days, was hungry, and he was tempted by satan in this area (to turn a rock into bread). While on earth, Jesus ate and experienced hunger. He just didn’t get “hangry”. Haha! I’m thinking that, in heaven, God does not require food, and that is simply a fundamental of this earthen vessel in which we live. There is reference to food in heaven though. The Tree of Life will bear fruit in every season and the Marriage Supper of the Lamb is anxiously anticipated by the Church. Interesting topic to consider! I hope there is coffee in heaven...and dark chocolate...

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Yes.

26And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body. 27And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; 28For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. 29But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.

EDITED TO ADD REFERENCE: Matthew 26:26-29, KJV

Last edited:

Narrow Path

Most realize Jesus ate in his incarnate state, and that there is a marriage supper. I understood the question posed as God the Father, rather than God the son. My guess is probably not. But if he does, it is only by choice. I think the same applies to everyone in heaven or hell. We can't die in heaven or on earth in the MK, or in the new heaven and earth. There will be no need to sustain ourselves nutritionally. Questions of consumption obviously then require questions of expulsion which makes the entire conversation rather silly.

A similar question came to mind the other day.... why would we need clothes in heaven? I am not suggesting that we are nude for all eternity, but it is curious why we are not. Clothing was only invented as side effect of sin entering paradise, causing shame. There won't be any sin in heaven.

Food, clothing etc.... we can never know the answers down here, but it is interesting to contemplate

The question opens up a discussion on Physics. There are two realms, our 4 dimensional universe, and the greater realm: the heaven-verse, IE Spirit Realm. They exist coterminously, IE at the same time and place. In our universe energy is created by electrons buzzing around atoms.

Actually If you look billions of times smaller than an atom, you would see singularities called "String". They vibrate and writhe because they are where 7 to 10 dimensions are out of Phase-Syncronicity with each other. This Vibration causes all of what we call "Energy". Only our four dimensions come together in phase-sync with each other: height, width, depth and time. The other dimensions are offline.

This anomaly is called our universe. It's a wrinkle or krinkle in heaven space fabric. It's actually a temporary anomaly, with an expiration date built in. Some day the wrinkle will come undone and this universe will burn up or vaporize. Its like a blanket you pull taught at the four corners and it becomes wrinkle free. The Bible holds this up as true in Revelation. By then we'll be In Heavenly Zion, to be with our Jesus forever, amen.

Why say all of this? In our universe it is necessary for something to die to sustain the living. Plants or animals must die to sustain animals and people and provide nutrients for them. To live, something else must die, there is no exception to this rule. Matter must have it's electrons stripped off and be assimliated by another life form.

There is no death in heaven, the only place in the universe where death is is here down on earth. That's why people have to get saved before they die, because you have to face death as a mortal to accept and have applied Jesus' pardon. He died where everything is subject to death, on Earth. His life for yours. He took our punishment.

In the heaven realm, nothing can die, that's why the fallen angels cannot get saved, they're in that Spirit Realm. If Adam and Eve had ate of the tree of life they would never had died and never could have been saved. They were removed from the garden before that could happen. It's appointed to man once to die and THEN the judgement.

In Heaven other physics apply. The Elemental table does not apply there, because there's no death there, at any level. The River of power that flows from the throne of God will sustain us. God empowers everything directly, not an atomic reaction. The only SUN in Heaven is the SON. Can God temporarily hold a banquet in heaven where well eat and drink? If He wants to, of couse, and the Bible says that there will be a Marriage Supper for the saints and Jesus. In the main I would say that eating for sustenance is not necessary in Heaven.

Last edited:

Andy C

The question opens up a discussion on Physics. There are two realms, our 4 dimensional universe, and the greater realm: the heaven-verse, IE Spirit Realm. They exist coterminously, IE at the same time and place. In our universe energy is created by electrons buzzing around atoms.

Actually If you look billions of times smaller than an atom, you would see singularities called "String". They vibrate and writhe because they are where 7 to 10 dimensions are out of Phase-Syncronicity with each other. This Vibration causes all of what we call "Energy". Only our four dimensions come together in phase-sync with each other: height, width, depth and time. The other dimensions are offline.
:eek2 :taz. I was getting ready to post the exact same thing....:dilbert

I watched the TV show Big Bang Theory, so I understand “String Theory”.......NOT

Very interesting post. However, all we can do is speculate about what we will be like in our new and glorified body, residing in an eternal state. I lean towards our daily living, minus evil, will be similar to now, but at a far better level than we are able to now comprehend.

Lovin Jesus

When the hour came, Jesus and his apostles reclined at the table. 15 And he said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. 16 For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God.”
Luke 22:14-16

Examining these verses says a lot. First, Jesus had to eat in human form to sustain his human body. But in spirit form does he eat? The latter portion of the verse cited has Jesus saying “ I will not “Eat Again” until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God. He says “again”. I’m thinking by saying again it would be the same form of eating but likely different food than earthly made food. I imagine a spirit body doesn’t need the kind of nourishment an earthly body needs. As posted above by others, God doesn’t need food to sustain himself as he is self sustaining.

It’s hard to know exactly what it’s like in heaven as Paul says

However, as it is written: "What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived" -- the things God has prepared for those who love him-- 1 Corinthians 2:9

When Jesus was here he ate. When the Lord himself and two angels visited Abraham in Genesis 18 they ate but because they appeared in human form. Otherwise they wouldn’t have been visible to Abraham.

And the Lord appeared to him by the oaks of Mamre, as he sat at the door of his tent in the heat of the day. He lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, three men stood in front of him. When he saw them, he ran from the tent door to meet them, and bowed himself to the earth, and said, "My lord, if I have found favor in your sight, do not pass by your servant. Let a little water be brought, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree, while I fetch a morsel of bread, that you may refresh yourselves, and after that you may pass on -- since you have come to your servant." So they said, "Do as you have said." (Genesis 18:1-5 RSV

Some have suggested that all three of these “men” were angelic beings who appeared to Abraham in the form of men. However, Genesis 18:1 says that it was “the LORD” (Yahweh) who appeared to Abraham. It is the LORD who speaks in verses 13, 20, 26, and 33. Abraham stands “before the LORD” in verse 22. So, one of the three “men” must have been God Almighty taking on the appearance of a man. We call such an appearance a “theophany.” When Jesus appears in His pre-incarnate body in the Old Testament, we call it a “Christophany.” Whether God’s appearance to Abraham in Mamre was a theophany or a Christophany, we don’t know. But it does seem clear from the context that one of the visitors was God Himself (Genesis 18:22) and the other two were the angels who later visited Sodom and spoke to Lot (Genesis 19:1).
https://www.gotquestions.org/three-men-Genesis-18.html

Last edited:
Back