Does anyone knit?

Lynn

Longing for Home
I just finished my first pair of socks! I’ve been intimidated by socks for years but finally sat down and decided to do a pair with very good instructions and YouTube videos. I’m starting my second pair. Fun!
Kerbluey, I have knitted several pairs of socks in the past, but I've had other priorities in recent years (new grandchildren), and have sort of set my needles aside for now. What pattern did you use?

Kerbluey

Kerbluey, I have knitted several pairs of socks in the past, but I've had other priorities in recent years (new grandchildren), and have sort of set my needles aside for now. What pattern did you use?

The blog is the knitting squirrel dot com (no spaces). The instructions are How To Knit Your First Sock. I ended up knitting 3 pair and am still wearing them. I got 2 huge skeins of nice sock yarn for cheap at the thrift store, so I plan on using the rest for some flat knit tube socks. It turns out I don’t like knitting in the round.

Kerbluey

I love knitting dishcloths. I made my aunt a bunch to give out at her church Christmas party one year. They’re quick and easy which is fun.

Right now I’m knitting a stole with the most gorgeous silvery plum-colored wool. The pattern is based on Gansey sweaters, which use knits and purls to create texture and designs. I told my husband yesterday at the rate I’m going I’ll have to be buried in it.

Walk Softly

This thread is so encouraging! I have missed working with good yarn, so I decided I am going to learn to knit! I watched a couple of beginner vids on You Tube, and I know I can do it. I'm just waiting for the library to let me pick up Knitting For Dummies and I need to find a set of needles.

Lynn

Longing for Home
I'm just waiting for the library to let me pick up Knitting For Dummies and I need to find a set of needles
WS, if you haven't already done this, you may want to research carefully the type of needles to buy. If you decide to purchase a set, the cheaper ones are not as good. If you get circular needles that are attached to a long cord, you pay for the quality you get. Cheap circular needle cords are often stiff after a time. I use circular needles even when I'm not knitting in the round such as used in knitting socks & hats. They're just easier on my hands.

Last edited:

Walk Softly

WS, if you haven't already done this, you may want to research carefully the type of needles to buy. If you decide to purchase a set, the cheaper ones are not as good. If you get circular needles that are attached to a long cord, you pay for the quality you get. Cheap circular needle cords are often stiff after a time. I use circular needles even when I'm not knitting in the round such as used in knitting socks & hats. They're just easier on my hands.

Thank you Lynn. I bought a set of aluminum Boye needles at Wal Mart on Tuesday, but I am bringing them back next time I go. I haven't gotten very far with this idea. I watched a Hobby Lobby how-to vid, and when I tried to copy what she did, it all fell apart! It's very frustrating, because with this COVID business, I can't just get lessons in person at the yarn shop or something.

Lynn

Longing for Home
I watched a Hobby Lobby how-to vid, and when I tried to copy what she did, it all fell apart! It's very frustrating, because with this COVID business, I can't just get lessons in person at the yarn shop or something.
WS, if you go to: www.knittinghelp.com you will get some good instruction from Amy. I've learned so much from her over the years. I would learn just the knit stitch for now, and don't worry about the purl stitch. You can make small items that use only the knit stitch, also referred to as the garter stitch. Lots of dishcloth patterns are worked in garter stitch. When you feel comfortable with the needles in your hands and have made a few simple items, you'll be ready for purl stitch.

Accepted

I used to knit, years ago, then went on to do more crochet than knit, but I’m thinking of taking it (knitting) up again. I have a dear friend that knitted some beautiful things for me during my cancer journey, which pricked my interest again.

This friend now owns a knit shop in downtown Salem, Oregon, called Wild Knits, and sometimes I just enjoy looking online at the yarns and gift packages she has on there. People often share their projects, and I get some good ideas. If anyone is interested, her web site is https://wildknitssalem.com/

She also combines certain teas with knits. Cozy.

I remember when I was about thirteen years old, and was sent from CA to visit my Massachusetts grandmothers for a summer. I knitted them both a set of slippers as a gift, and I remember how much that seemed to mean to them! Looking back, I think how impractical that was, as they would have been slippery, but of course they would have treasured the intent more than the slippery slippers themselves!

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
Ooo! That yarn shop looks nice. We don't have a luxe yarn shop here anymore. If I start making some money again sometime soon, maybe I'll order from them.

ETA: there are ways to make knitted slippers not slippery, BTW.

Accepted

Ooo! That yarn shop looks nice. We don't have a luxe yarn shop here anymore. If I start making some money again sometime soon, maybe I'll order from them.

ETA: there are ways to make knitted slippers not slippery, BTW.
At that age, I don’t think it ever occurred to me to make the slippers non-slip!! :D

BTW, this knit-loving friend of mine who owns the shop is a born-again believer! It is more of a “luxe” shop, not cheap, but I love her newsletter and Facebook where people share their projects. I’ve been thinking about winter scarves that I could donate to cancer patients when I go to chemo. When I was bald, I really needed neck warmth during winter. This friend knitted me the most beautiful, striking blue neck scarf I’ve ever seen.

Cindy S.

When he comes, will he find faith? Luke 18:8
WS, if you go to: www.knittinghelp.com you will get some good instruction from Amy. I've learned so much from her over the years. I would learn just the knit stitch for now, and don't worry about the purl stitch. You can make small items that use only the knit stitch, also referred to as the garter stitch. Lots of dishcloth patterns are worked in garter stitch. When you feel comfortable with the needles in your hands and have made a few simple items, you'll be ready for purl stitch.
I just discovered this week that there is a linen stitch.
I might make some nice dish towels, apparently that stitch makes them lay flat.

Cindy S.

When he comes, will he find faith? Luke 18:8
At that age, I don’t think it ever occurred to me to make the slippers non-slip!! :D

BTW, this knit-loving friend of mine who owns the shop is a born-again believer! It is more of a “luxe” shop, not cheap, but I love her newsletter and Facebook where people share their projects. I’ve been thinking about winter scarves that I could donate to cancer patients when I go to chemo. When I was bald, I really needed neck warmth during winter. This friend knitted me the most beautiful, striking blue neck scarf I’ve ever seen.
Have you been on Ravelry?
I posted pics of a few projects there but forgot my ID and password.

Accepted

Have you been on Ravelry?
I posted pics of a few projects there but forgot my ID and password.
No, that’s new to me! I do love to see finished products. There were some beautiful stitched pumpkins on the site I listed, for fall decor. I was just admiring them!