Does anyone knit?

Discussion in 'For the Ladies' started by Kerbluey, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Kerbluey

Kerbluey Well-Known Member

Dmac, I honestly don’t know. I’ve never made socks nor darned any. Have you checked YouTube?

ShilohRose likes this.
  2. Kerbluey

Kerbluey Well-Known Member

I made my mom some in Tunisian crochet, and she raves about them as well. I’m currently making some pot handle covers to felt.

ShilohRose and Judy4Jesus like this.
  3. Work4Peanuts

Work4Peanuts Well-Known Member

If you can learn to knit to begin with, then this is something you can learn. There are different ways of darning. Honestly, if your socks are a complicated knit with a big hole, it can be a little difficult, but if we're talking about basic stockinette stitch, it's not too hard. The challenge becomes evaluating whether the socks are 1) worth the time and effort of darning, and 2) strong enough to handle the repair job. If the fibers are too thin around a hole you can repair it and have it bust out on you again.

The simplest way to repair holes is to just reinforce the edges and "weave" sewing thread back and forth, over and under, basically making cloth. It doesn't match exactly, but I'll do it that way if it's in an invisible spot (like the heel or bottom of the foot) because it is fairly strong and a little faster. If you want to knit the darn (which is prettier, smoother, and if it's just a slipped stitch or two, still not that difficult), the other challenge is matching the yarn that was used to make the sock. If you originally made the socks, it's always good to keep the spare yarn for repairs, but if they were store bought, that can get a little more difficult.

I think knittinghelp.com has instructions on darning. It's been a long time since I've looked at that site though, so youtube still might be your best choice. You might also want a darning egg.

ShilohRose likes this.