Does anyone knit?

Kerbluey

These are THE BEST!! I dont knit (my hobby is counted cross stitching), so when I accidentally burnt my pot holders I got years ago just like these (my FAVORITE) on the hot stovetop burner, I put a family wide text calling all crafters...I need new...a couple days later I was blessed in the mail! These really are great and can be thrown in the washer and dryer. Just dont throw them on your still hot stove top! Yikes! Ha
I made my mom some in Tunisian crochet, and she raves about them as well. I’m currently making some pot handle covers to felt.

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
I am thinking of learning to darn my socks. Is this something a novice could learn. Trying to save a buck or two on new socks.
If you can learn to knit to begin with, then this is something you can learn. There are different ways of darning. Honestly, if your socks are a complicated knit with a big hole, it can be a little difficult, but if we're talking about basic stockinette stitch, it's not too hard. The challenge becomes evaluating whether the socks are 1) worth the time and effort of darning, and 2) strong enough to handle the repair job. If the fibers are too thin around a hole you can repair it and have it bust out on you again.

The simplest way to repair holes is to just reinforce the edges and "weave" sewing thread back and forth, over and under, basically making cloth. It doesn't match exactly, but I'll do it that way if it's in an invisible spot (like the heel or bottom of the foot) because it is fairly strong and a little faster. If you want to knit the darn (which is prettier, smoother, and if it's just a slipped stitch or two, still not that difficult), the other challenge is matching the yarn that was used to make the sock. If you originally made the socks, it's always good to keep the spare yarn for repairs, but if they were store bought, that can get a little more difficult.

I think knittinghelp.com has instructions on darning. It's been a long time since I've looked at that site though, so youtube still might be your best choice. You might also want a darning egg.

Lynn

Longing for Home
Just chiming in here because yesterday I learned my 36 year old school teacher son has started knitting classes. Wow.
Great! At our church there's a young man in his 20's, planning to be a surgeon, who knits beautifully. He first knitted English style (most common, where yarn is 'thrown' over needle), but later learned to knit Continental style. It's much faster, and most professional knitters use this method exclusively.

Kerbluey

I’m working on a long skinny scarf in stockinette for charity in a pretty grey acrylic with sparkles. I’ll probably work on an 1898 Hat next. This is an easy and warm hat with ear flaps to knit. It too will be for charity. I’m too hot natured to wear hats or scarves, so whatever I make gets given away.

I also found all kinds of high end skeins at the thrift store for $1 each. If you ever want to score big make a loud announcement that you’re not allowed to buy more till you use up your stash. Ha!

Link to hat instructions:

https://seamenschurch.org/sites/default/files/sci-1898-hat-kristine-byrnes-web-w-schematic.pdf

Work4Peanuts

I’m working on a long skinny scarf in stockinette for charity in a pretty grey acrylic with sparkles. I’ll probably work on an 1898 Hat next. This is an easy and warm hat with ear flaps to knit. It too will be for charity. I’m too hot natured to wear hats or scarves, so whatever I make gets given away.

I also found all kinds of high end skeins at the thrift store for $1 each. If you ever want to score big make a loud announcement that you’re not allowed to buy more till you use up your stash. Ha!

Link to hat instructions:

https://seamenschurch.org/sites/default/files/sci-1898-hat-kristine-byrnes-web-w-schematic.pdf
Lucky. All I've ever seen at our thrift stores is cheap scratchy acrylic. I guess the trend of being a "knitter" is starting to go away again. It does come and go.

Kerbluey

I can't do it for the hours I used to. I had to give up crochet. For some reason it makes my hands hurt but thankfully I can still knit. I much prefer it anyway!
I agree. While visiting my mom this week I helped her crochet. I discovered it hurts my hands too and my shoulder. Knitting is much easier on my body. I was really surprised. I prefer knitting too, both doing it and the way it looks.

GotGrace

I appreciate your responding! To answer your questions, first, I knew of Paducah, Kentucky because my quilting magazines advertise for quilt show awards. I only recently discovered that there is a museum also. (Not sure if the two are related) It's realistically unlikely that I'll ever be able to visit, but would in a heartbeat if possible.

For some inexplicable reason I hadn't thought of searching the internet to find what help there is available. After signing up for Pinterest, it opened up a whole world that I didn't know existed. There are hundreds, if not thousands of free YouTube tutorials on everything sewing.

I was taught to sew by my mother in the 60's when later that awful polyester first came out. I learned to sew on a mechanical sewing machine and still have my Kenmore from the mid 70's. I got so far behind in the new fabrics and such that I was paralyzed in time past. YouTube has been an amazing asset. I recently "began again" with smaller projects and have made many items. Sooooo, I can only use so many quilted tote bags so I have been considering charity after I get a large pile of items made.

I actually bought a new Brother computer sewing machine at a fantastic price almost two years ago. I managed to wind a bobbin and found it all overwhelming, that I put the whole thing back in the box and there it sits. I may try again after I relearn to sew anew. As for the quilting, we'll see, it's still very difficult without a large space to work in.

My home has fabric and notions everywhere, I can't seem to not make a mess of it. I envy your knitting, so compact and sensible.

I pratted on and on again, so sorry.... I had meant to make a short answer but got carried away.
The quilts in your post are absolutely beautiful.

Work4Peanuts

I just finished my first pair of socks! I’ve been intimidated by socks for years but finally sat down and decided to do a pair with very good instructions and YouTube videos. I’m starting my second pair. Fun!
I love socks, and they are so much fun to wear when they are done!

Work4Peanuts

Im only making mine to wear to bed. Every night I put them on and smile. It’s so satisfying to make something like this and to enjoy them.
I love that! I usually make worsted weight socks out of leftover yarn. Those are the best kind for wearing around the house.

Reactions: Kem