Does anyone knit?

Lily

Looking Up
Lily, when I bought a new sewing machine a few years ago, the lady in the sewing machine department gave me a few lessons. Even if it's been two years since you bought your machine, the store will likely honor your purchase and give you lessons on how to use it.
Now I must admit my bigger mistake. I bought the machine from JoAnn's in an after Christmas clearance sale. I thought I'd done research well, I looked into what I was buying and the demo video made it look like I could do it! Thing is, I might be able to do it but I have to be in the mood. The actual hands-on was harder for me than it looked.

I've been thinking what to do. I could buckle down and figure it out with YouTube. I could try to hire someone to come to my home and give me lessons. Or I could trade it in at a local store and buy another machine with lessons like you suggest. I couldn't find, as of yet, a Brother's dealer locally.

Thank you for your suggestion, I will try to figure something out. I just need to go talk to someone who can help me make an informed decision. There will come a day that I'll need to learn to sew with a computer as much as I drag my feet about it. It's hard teaching an old dog new tricks sometimes.

Lily

Looking Up
Knitting compact and sensible?!! I kid you not, every day I wonder how I can manage to mess half the house up with it. And today I bought more yarn and needles! They were on clearance though. :D

I agree about Pinterest and YouTube. I don't think I could've figured out knitting without them.

Please never apologize about going on about crafts. :D
If I wasn't up to my ears in fabric and notions already, I'd relearn to knit. My neighbor does beautiful work. She showed me the sweetest little dress she knitted and it looked loomed. It was perfect.

I have so much lined up already that I'd feel guilty taking on another hobby. I did teach myself to crochet in years past and I loved it. I made a blanket that I still use and love. I can't even let that fond memory tempt me into more things to stack up on the "wish I had more time" "to do" list.

Lynn

Longing for Home
Now I must admit my bigger mistake. I bought the machine from JoAnn's in an after Christmas clearance sale. I thought I'd done research well, I looked into what I was buying and the demo video made it look like I could do it! The actual hands-on was harder for me than it looked.

I've been thinking what to do. Or I could trade it in at a local store and buy another machine with lessons like you suggest. I couldn't find, as of yet, a Brother's dealer locally.

Lily, I bought my machine at JoAnn's as well. It doesn't matter if you purchased it on clearance or not. They're good to help. Next time you're in their store, if you're so inclined, you could explain the situation & ask them how to proceed in learning more about your sewing machine. In all likelihood they will be glad to help. I've had great instruction at my JoAnn's from a very capable & caring lady.

Lily

Looking Up
Lily, I bought my machine at JoAnn's as well. It doesn't matter if you purchased it on clearance or not. They're good to help. Next time you're in their store, if you're so inclined, you could explain the situation & ask them how to proceed in learning more about your sewing machine. In all likelihood they will be glad to help. I've had great instruction at my JoAnn's from a very capable & caring lady.
Thank you! Your advice encourages me to check out my options at JoAnn's. Also, I do think that an instructional DVD should come with a new machine. Not that I wouldn't have still needed lessons but I would have liked to have given it a try. Oh well, it is what it is. I'll see about getting started in the near future!

Kerbluey

I've had to purge a lot of hobbies. I've narrowed mine down to knitting, cross stitching, and art. I tend to do one for several weeks then I'm ready to move to another. Right now I'm in a cross stitching phase.

Lynn

Longing for Home
I've had to purge a lot of hobbies. I've narrowed mine down to knitting, cross stitching, and art. I tend to do one for several weeks then I'm ready to move to another. Right now I'm in a cross stitching phase.
That's a good idea. I have an interest in most needle arts (and art, too), but so little time. I've been knitting garter stitch hearts for months. Now I want to set up my sewing machine & make a few pillow cases for my family members who would like them (grandchildren!)

Kerbluey

That's a good idea. I have an interest in most needle arts (and art, too), but so little time. I've been knitting garter stitch hearts for months. Now I want to set up my sewing machine & make a few pillow cases for my family members who would like them (grandchildren!)
That sounds like fun. My aunt always replaces her plain pillowcases with homemade ones in pretty fabrics.

What are you doing with your garter Stitch hearts? I knit hats and donate to Samaritan's Purse for shoebox fillers. I get to knit that way. :)

Yes, it was kind of a relief to let go of some hobbies. Have you heard of SABLE? Stash Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy? That was me!

Lynn

Longing for Home
Hi, Kerbluey, my knitted hearts are used mostly as mug mats for a mug of hot tea/coffee. My dh likes them and encourages me each time I begin another one. I usually just give them to family/friends for fun little gifts for absolutely no reason. Right now, I have six in my living room & a purple one on the needles. They're quick to knit, since no purls involved. Over the years, I've knitted 'many' pairs of socks, so this is truly simple knitting, a nice break from serious knitting.

http://www.craftown.com/Heart-Washcloth.html This is very similar to the one I knit. I couldn't find the exact same pattern I use, but this is close. I only cast on 4 sts at the beginning, but otherwise, I think it's basically the same. I like to use different yarns, not always pure cotton. Right now, I'm knitting with Yarn Bee Dazzling (variegated color called Tropics) from Hobby Lobby that I really like. So far, I've gotten about three hearts from one skein. Also, I like the 40% off coupon for Hobby Lobby that I always bring up on my phone before checking out, so that I get the discount (if the yarn isn't on sale). Coupon works only on 1 regular price item.

Last edited:

Lynn

Longing for Home
I knit hats and donate to Samaritan's Purse for shoebox fillers. I get to knit that way. :)
What a wonderful idea!!
Earlier today while at the library, I found a book called, "Knit Your Own Cat." Our new daughter-in-law loves kitties, and since she and our son both work full time,
they don't want the care of a house cat while they're gone through the day. If I can do this, I would like to knit her a soft gray & white kitty for her birthday in early
December. I can just imagine her squeal of delight, if I'm able to get one made for her.

RogerThat

Thank you! Your advice encourages me to check out my options at JoAnn's. Also, I do think that an instructional DVD should come with a new machine. Not that I wouldn't have still needed lessons but I would have liked to have given it a try. Oh well, it is what it is. I'll see about getting started in the near future!
Hi Lily, I don't know where you live, but check Groupon for sewing lessons. I was able to score a beginner's class at a great price. I live in a large city, though, with lots of options for that sort of thing.
And ask ladies from church if any sew. I have two ladies at my church that help me from time to time. I am super, super new to sewing. I've made some napkins, a lined tote bag and the piece de le resistance...a Snickers bar costume for my son one year for trick-or-treating! I'm about to tackle a candy corn banner I saw on Pinterest (I LOOOOOVE Pinterest!!).

I'd love to learn how to knit, crochet, quilt....my grandmother used to do all of those things--in the deep south of Mississippi as well (like georges)!! I still have my baby afghan that was in my crib when I came home from the hospital 44 years ago! And many quilts and afghans she and her sisters made. What a treasure. I'm so sorry that I never had an interest while I was young to ask her to teach me. I do have a fond memory of hand sewing a little (terrible) purse from her scraps while she quilted. Its too bad youth is wasted on the young! I wish I'd known then that I'd want these skills as a grown woman!

ETA: That is a wonderful idea of donating what you make. I've always wondered what to do with what I want to make like baby things.

Last edited: