Doctrine of Discovery

maryrae

The pope (I refuse to capitalize this title) is visiting Canada these days on a "pilgrimage of pennance" in regards to the horros that were committed in the residential schools here. The "doctrine" of discovery was mentioned as a basis for the RC treatment of our indigenous people, and for the colonizing of Canada.
I got looking into this doctrine and found some explanations of it in a search of the internet. Oh my! I found it totally inhumane and to be espoused by a so-called "christian" church, is reprehensible.
I'm wondering if any of our formerly RCC members here can shed any light on this particular "doctrine". I found it horrible, and my heart aches for our First Nations people.
Just as an aside, I'm not into the traditional spirituality that many still practice among our indigenous people groups. They need Jesus as much as any of us do, but not the "Jesus" and the religion of the RCC, in my opinion!

Seashell

The Doctrine of Discovery was wrote in 1493 and was a common idea in 1493, the West was convinced that it was their responsibility to civilize and Christianize all of the indigenous people. It originally had good intentions, but was carried out totally in the wrong way and due to the sin of power, the people were hurt. This happened in Protestant churches too. Many slave owners were American Baptists and honestly believed they were doing the slaves a favor by supposedly taking care of them and saving their souls. The whole reason the Southern Baptist Church broke away from the American Baptist Church in 1845 was to protect slavery. People sometimes have good intentions, but sin and other people get carried away with things and it turns into a great evil. Which is why the Pope is on a Pilgrimage of Penance, because this was all done in the wrong way, and everybody should be sorry for things which happened in the past. The biggest thing is, (in my opinion) we need to to learn from the past and not repeat these errors, however due to sin and corrupt people, many people will be mistreated, murdered and other things. It’ll be like that until JC comes back!

SkyRider

The pope needs to be on a pilgrimage of repentance, not penance. No need to pay for one's own sins - actually impossible - since anyone truly trusting in Christ has their sins covered.

Is the pope Catholic? He sure is….that's the problem. He needs to discover the true faith in Jesus Christ and not believe in another gospel.

Seashell

The pope needs to be on a pilgrimage of repentance, not penance. No need to pay for one's own sins - actually impossible - since anyone truly trusting in Christ has their sins covered.

Is the pope Catholic? He sure is….that's the problem. He needs to discover the true faith in Jesus Christ and not believe in another gospel.
I question whether this Pope is a Practicing Catholic or not. He truly makes me think he’s an Anti-Pope, but thats a discussion for another day. I’m Catholic and wonder about this, I think the true Pope is still Benedict, Repentance would have been a much better term to use.

SkyRider

I question whether this Pope is a Practicing Catholic or not. He truly makes me think he’s an Anti-Pope, but thats a discussion for another day. I’m Catholic and wonder about this, I think the true Pope is still Benedict, Repentance would have been a much better term to use.
Well, they say practice makes perfect but we are only perfected through Christ's plan of redemption = through grace, not works. Catholicism's plan of salvation countermands God's plan of redemption in numerous instances and through various methods. I personally wouldn't trust them for anything, let alone salvation; thankfully the good Lord opened my eyes to their false teachings years ago and have never looked back. Thank you Jesus!

Back