Do you love to travel?

Channah

Any avid travelers here? I love to travel and if God willing, when I retire I just want to travel forever. I do try to get out of the country at least twice a year and go domestic as many times as possible, even for a 3 day trip. I think it's a coping mechanism from my stressful home life.

What and where do you like to go? My favorites are Europe and the Pacific and usually Chicago and Nevada.

fl2007rn

I love to travel and my husband and I have been to many places around the world. We bought a motor home 2 years ago and plan to travel all over the USA when my husband is retired. I can't say that I have a favorite place but I thought Alaska was absolutely gorgeous and I enjoyed traveling in Europe. I really liked Bavaria, Austria, Switzerland, Northern Italy and the Alps. We are not big city people but like to see the country side and all the beautiful scenery that God created for us.

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
Traveling is fun. It can be stressful and hardwork at times (depending on the situation and geographical location) , but in general IMO , I find it to be fun, exciting, adventurous, and therapeutic .
I prefer the United States. Every single state has something unique to offer in various facets.
Weather, scenery, history, food , "the how we do things here ", ect...
I really like Colorado. Lived in Boulder and Telluride for a bit. Absolutely gorgeous state.
God's creations definitely SCREAM and declare His glory.
Absolutely no doubt. His creations are absolutely amazing and magnificent.
And even though I stated I prefer the United States , the beauty of God's creation rest all over this world in many fashions.
And this is a tainted, sin soaked world.
Imagine what Heaven will be like!
Soon , us in Christ won't have to imagine ;).

Praise Him!

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
During my 20 years in the Air Force, I spent just over 12 of those years living out of a suitcase. When I retired the last thing on my mind was traveling... Then about 5 years ago I started traveling outside (the lower 48) several times a year, accompanying my youngest son who was on a very good youth soccer team that had the best players from the state of Alaska in his age group on the team. At first I didn't like the trips, but over time I got used to them, and then started looking forward to them. That era is now over and I wanted to keep taking occasional trips outside so now 4-6 times a year I travel to visit relatives or to explore possible areas for relocation. In January I'll spend a couple of weeks in Nevada, looking at two areas in the state for future relocation should we ever leave Alaska. In March I'll visit my sister and her girls in North Carolina. whenever I'm away from our home I'm able to rest, so traveling for any reason makes for a good vacation for me. The trip I'm most looking forward to is when I'm transformed and travel up, never to return to my mortal body.

Andy C

We love driving across the interstate highways, towing our fifth wheel RV. Nothing beats waking up every few days in a different location, yet we have all of our own stuff, no hotels. Once my daughter and granddaughter move out of our house, and if Connies mom is ok, we are going away. I would like to sell our house, place eveything in storage for at least a year, and just drive wherever we feel like going.

We both hate to fly, so our travels will be limited to the USA.

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
We love driving across the interstate highways, towing our fifth wheel RV. Nothing beats waking up every few days in a different location, yet we have all of our own stuff, no hotels. Once my daughter and granddaughter move out of our house, and if Connies mom is ok, we are going away. I would like to sell our house, place eveything in storage for at least a year, and just drive wherever we feel like going.

Sounds like a great plan :thumbup .

fl2007rn

We don't like to fly either! My husband is a commercial airline pilot and he doesn't ever want to see another airport again when he retires. I was wondering if your wife drives the truck pulling the 5th wheel? I am too afraid to drive our RV and the Jeep as our tow vehicle, but I suppose I need to learn in case something happens to my husband. For now I am the navigator, cook, and setting up the sewer/water/cable lines.

Andy C

We don't like to fly either! My husband is a commercial airline pilot and he doesn't ever want to see another airport again when he retires. I was wondering if your wife drives the truck pulling the 5th wheel? I am too afraid to drive our RV and the Jeep as our tow vehicle, but I suppose I need to learn in case something happens to my husband. For now I am the navigator, cook, and setting up the sewer/water/cable lines.
She has towed for short distances, on the highway. We might eventually get a motorhome, but I like the living area style better in a fifth wheel.
I take care of everything outside, and she sets up the inside.

Motorhome, fifth wheel, travel trailer, camper, tents....all excellent ways to see the country.

I cant blame your husband for not wanting to fly again. I cant imagine what it would be like to have to fly everyday as a job....o_O

JSTyler

Just make sure he never pilots any plane with the designation Oceanic 815.

JSTyler

I've always been in awe of people that can travel and relax and actually enjoy it. My experiences have always been defined by a simple almost mathematical equation as follows;

stress + dissatisfaction + grumpiness to distance from my bed, my bathroom, my man/boy-cave, my eeerything.

∝ - being "directly proportional"

fl2007rn

Just make sure he never pilots any plane with the designation Oceanic 815.
We have often talked about a plane crash but my husband is saved and he knows he will be in Heaven with Jesus. The real question is what if he is flying and the Rapture happens? There will be one less pilot in the cockpit or perhaps there will be no pilots at all!

Last edited:

JSTyler

We have often talked about a plane crash but my husband is saved and he knows he will be in Heaven with Jesus. The real question is what if he is flying and the Rapture happens? There will be one less pilot in the cockpit or perhaps there will no pilots at all!
It sure makes you wonder doesn't it? Imagine the inexplicable scenarios the raptured will leave behind. There's an old Ray Bradbury short story, the title eludes me but it portrays a house, post extinction of the human race that's maintained ad infinitim by robotic "servants". The people and thus the purpose are long gone but the processes run on and on. It's creepy but paints a vivid picture.

Channah

I would love to get an RV and travel across the US.

Channah

Do you get to fly for free since your husband is a commercial pilot? I imagine you have the world at your fingertips so you can go wherever you want to go. How cool is that?

Channah

Traveling is fun. It can be stressful and hardwork at times (depending on the situation and geographical location) , but in general IMO , I find it to be fun, exciting, adventurous, and therapeutic .
I prefer the United States. Every single state has something unique to offer in various facets.
Weather, scenery, history, food , "the how we do things here ", ect...
I really like Colorado. Lived in Boulder and Telluride for a bit. Absolutely gorgeous state.
God's creations definitely SCREAM and declare His glory.
Absolutely no doubt. His creations are absolutely amazing and magnificent.
And even though I stated I prefer the United States , the beauty of God's creation rest all over this world in many fashions.
And this is a tainted, sin soaked world.
Imagine what Heaven will be like!
Soon , us in Christ won't have to imagine ;).

Praise Him!
I always get afraid flying into Denver. Those turbulences are something else.

Channah

During my 20 years in the Air Force, I spent just over 12 of those years living out of a suitcase. When I retired the last thing on my mind was traveling... Then about 5 years ago I started traveling outside (the lower 48) several times a year, accompanying my youngest son who was on a very good youth soccer team that had the best players from the state of Alaska in his age group on the team. At first I didn't like the trips, but over time I got used to them, and then started looking forward to them. That era is now over and I wanted to keep taking occasional trips outside so now 4-6 times a year I travel to visit relatives or to explore possible areas for relocation. In January I'll spend a couple of weeks in Nevada, looking at two areas in the state for future relocation should we ever leave Alaska. In March I'll visit my sister and her girls in North Carolina. whenever I'm away from our home I'm able to rest, so traveling for any reason makes for a good vacation for me. The trip I'm most looking forward to is when I'm transformed and travel up, never to return to my mortal body.
My son is in the Air Force. He's been to North Dakota (I once made a mistake and flew into Minneapolis and drove 8 hours to Grand Forks during the winter), Guam, Misawa, Iraq (2), Afghanistan (1) and Dibouti (2) but now he's in Nevada, not Nellis. He's hoping to get Okinawa next month.

athenasius

George loves to travel, cruising is his thing.

I love George so I travel too, and I quite often enjoy it, but prefer the joy of home any day of the week. Not something I'd up and do on my own, but I do enjoy the sea days, looking at the ocean and any passing sealife. I've seen Sea Turtles, whales, dolphins, flying fish and more. This last trip I was standing at the rail, staring at the sea below and I got to see a hammerhead shark lazily curving back and forth just under the surface with that weird head. We were going thru a school of flying fish at the time.

I think if it were up to me, I'd drive for days, stopping here and there for motels and meals, seeing things like Yosemite and the Grand Canyon, stand there in Yellowstone and wonder when that baby will blow sky high. I loathe airports, but I do enjoy flying, seeing the landscape below. We passed close to Mt St Helens a couple of years ago on a super clear day, nice and close. It was AMAZING. We saw that volcano on Hilo that erupted recently, well before that eruption and I really loved going up into the Park site near the rim.

I am a minimalist at heart so I find packing the least amount we need for the trip to be an enjoyable challenge. I keep a list of things on my cell phone and note what I didn't need each time, so I've gotten us down to a small suitcase, often just a carry on and a purse for me, another carryon and a back pack for him, plus his CPAP machine. It depends though-- if I need lots of changes of footgear for him I pack in a checked bag, he has size 13 wide feet, and a couple of those sister ships as we call his shoes, take up most of a carry on suitcase. But with access to laundry (and I've yet to find a ship without some form) you can get by on very little and I do enjoy the challenge in that.

However with that brain tumour, G is having a harder time tolerating the noise and confusion of airports, TSA lines (we have pre check Nexxus it's called in Canada) and sudden changes. The neurosurgeon says that is a permanent side effect of having the tumour even though it's shrunk quite a bit. He will always deal with that. So there may be changes. I'm glad we have gone and done what we did, while we could.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
My son is in the Air Force. He's been to North Dakota (I once made a mistake and flew into Minneapolis and drove 8 hours to Grand Forks during the winter), Guam, Misawa, Iraq (2), Afghanistan (1) and Dibouti (2) but now he's in Nevada, not Nellis. He's hoping to get Okinawa next month.
I spent a few years on Okinawa in increments of 3-4 weeks at a time. I think it would be fun to be stationed there, especially if the dollar is strong against the yen.