Do you like hand bags?

Channah

I don't carry a purse. Too much chance of loss or theft.
I'd rather things were in my pockets or a hidden pouch, etc.

I do have an old denim soft purse that has zippers AND a flap with a zipper compartment and multiple compartments and an outside pocket. that's good for shoving a paperback in. Very easy to keep organized and efficient access to stuff that might need to be accessed quickly, but far too easy to cut the purse and steal what's inside, or cut the strap and steal the purse.

If I have to take my netbook, I have a small inexpensive computer bag, but I'm thinking a ratty looking tote modified with a steel cable in the strap and metal mesh hidden in the outer layer to prevent cutting might be a good idea.
You might like crossbody bags then. They’re easy to carry and you can drape across your body.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
You might like crossbody bags then. They’re easy to carry and you can drape across your body.

Cross-body bags are very dangerous. If someone grabs it, you will likely fall and possibly get drug. Might not be able to run away and leave the purse if that is the prudent thing to do. If the person that snatches the purse is in a car, you may well get killed or very seriously hurt. Someone I know had a wife that was killed when a purse snatcher grabbed her cross-body purse and the driver with him drove away. The woman was drug down the street and then run over.

Channah

Cross-body bags are very dangerous. If someone grabs it, you will likely fall and possibly get drug. Might not be able to run away and leave the purse if that is the prudent thing to do. If the person that snatches the purse is in a car, you may well get killed or very seriously hurt. Someone I know had a wife that was killed when a purse snatcher grabbed her cross-body purse and the driver with him drove away. The woman was drug down the street and then run over.
Wow! That’s good to know. I’m glad you’re a cop and let us know these things. Thank you!

Leigh

Oh my goodness, how horrible! I would've thought a cross-body bag was safer, also.

That reminds me that my sweet, precious grandmother had her purse snatched in her church parking lot, back around 1975. My grandparents lived in the City of Atlanta (not downtown) and rarely went out after dark, but this night they'd gone to a banquet at church and as they were leaving a man ran through the parking lot and grabbed her purse (the short-strapped "old lady" kind), which was in the crook of her arm. It happened so quickly she couldn't let go and was dragged a ways before she got her arm free. I remember her calling our house early the next morning, crying and upset, telling my daddy (her son) about it, and in turn he was so angry he could hardly talk to tell us about it. She was all scraped up. It was especially pitiful since she was elderly.

I do love hand bags, but don't have a big collection and won't spend much $$ on one. The ones I buy from Kohl's, on sale & with a coupon, I consider my 'nice' ones. :lol

RogerThat

I do!!
More so in my youth, but I have a few splurges/gifts from my 20s/30s I use. I tend to change my mood a lot, so I change up bags a good bit. I favor timeless shapes and styles, so plan to carry these for years or pass them down to grand-daughters or DILs (assuming we'll be here that long. Maybe I can barter them for sugar in a few years LOL)

2 Tory Burch
1 Vintage Louis Vuitton handed down from my MIL
1 Coach
3 Michael Kors (and a wallet)
2 Le Pliage
1 Badgley Mischka
1 Fendi

And more tote bags than is healthy or needed! LOL

I don't consider myself a "designer" person in that I need the *name* (I did when I was young, though) but I do believe in getting what you pay for. All the above bags I have had for decades and probably cost less than all of the cheap bags combined I've bought over the years that fell apart, were too trendy or that I just didn't like anymore. Most I have gotten at discount stores like TJ Maxx, on sale, or as gifts.

Channah

I do!!
More so in my youth, but I have a few splurges/gifts from my 20s/30s I use. I tend to change my mood a lot, so I change up bags a good bit. I favor timeless shapes and styles, so plan to carry these for years or pass them down to grand-daughters or DILs (assuming we'll be here that long. Maybe I can barter them for sugar in a few years LOL)

2 Tory Burch
1 Vintage Louis Vuitton handed down from my MIL
1 Coach
3 Michael Kors (and a wallet)
2 Le Pliage
1 Badgley Mischka
1 Fendi

And more tote bags than is healthy or needed! LOL

I don't consider myself a "designer" person in that I need the *name* (I did when I was young, though) but I do believe in getting what you pay for. All the above bags I have had for decades and probably cost less than all of the cheap bags combined I've bought over the years that fell apart, were too trendy or that I just didn't like anymore. Most I have gotten at discount stores like TJ Maxx, on sale, or as gifts.
I like Fendi. I sold a vintage Fendi from the 60s I think. The Peek A Boo. I regret selling it.

athenasius

I have a black leather one from Costco about 20 years back. Glove type leather but it's held up well. Braided handle/shoulder strap. Light and easy. Really get my best use out of that. Zipper top and silver hardware. In the summer I switch to one of my open totes so I can drag along my sunglasses case which is too big and bulky for that little leather winter purse.

Since Covid hit I have trimmed my purse contents a lot. I'm not out and about long enough to need the kitchen sink I was dragging along in there.

Anyone else cut back on contents? Mind you I did start carrying an extra mask in case I forgot the one hanging off the car equipment. And I keep ventolin and Tums but I don't need Tylenol or 57 shades of lipstick to touch up with anymore. I don't even need my powder compact because who could tell if my nose makeup wore off because I'm wearing a mask in public.

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
I dont carry a lot in my purse...I like it light weight. Also makes it easy to change out.

I love almost anything by Kate Spade and adore Liz Claiborne bags.

I also love those Brahman (? Spelling error) bags. They are in the upper $300 range. My daughter suggests I get one because as someone said upthread, it can be passed down.

RobinB

Yes I used to have LC bags. Well made and sturdy,
Same here, loved LC. Now I have a variety of brands, styles and sizes. Bought a nice Stone Mountain shoulder bag right before lockdown started. It has a pocket with a portable phone charger inside, very cool. It had a colorful scarf attached which I removed, figuring it wasn't too sanitary during covid. Also have a few Dooney & Bourke, very sturdy but seem out of style now. Also a couple Coach bags.

RobinB

nyone else cut back on contents? Mind you I did start carrying an extra mask in case I forgot the one hanging off the car equipment. And I keep ventolin and Tums but I don't need Tylenol or 57 shades of lipstick to touch up with anymore. I don't even need my powder compact because who could tell if my nose makeup wore off because I'm wearing a mask in public.

Yes, took a lot of stuff out. Working from home, I don't need all the extras anymore.

ChildofLight

I was at Target a while back to get some new belts that fit and got an off white, and a set of white, black and brown. Going to wear them with new dresses I just bought. Also got a white purse for summer.

Fell in love with a retro looking purse. I resisted and resisted but after the last few days of stress I went for it. Last one of the burgundy color. The others were an awful pea green. It looks perhaps more of a 40s style. It’s burgundy, kinda long and gathered at the clasp. Instead having the short handles it has a brass colored small chain for over shoulder. I just love the 30s and 40s look. The simple styles not the Vogue styles.

MilkyWay1

This thread is making me want to buy a new purse to add to my collection of 20 other purses. :lol :lol

Now that I don’t have babies, my bag is quite small since I don’t need to carry around diapers and wipes. I’ve been eyeing a wallet purse from Sam’s Club that can hold my phone, because I really do hate carrying around anything larger than that.

Last edited:

Channah

I did good today. My SA called me and told me LV dropped their néw Calf Leather Onthego bag in black . . . I turned it down lol sine I got 2 of the Onthego last year . . . saying last year makes it all sound so long ago lol.