Do You Have "God Moments" to share?

Goodie

My son was in ninth grade. He was in the High school band and they were heading to Disney World. From Pennsylvania to Florida on a chartered bus. I had the biggest butterflies in my stomach. My mind was going places were most mother's mind go.

It was a rather large band so there were four buses. All loading up with excited teenagers . And being a small town there were moms, dads ,grandparents ,siblings. I see my son hop on to a bus . I could sidle over to it . Nonchalantly put my hand on it and pray as hard as I have ever prayed. I step away and I see my son bouncing off that bus and climb into another . Well once again I sidle over to that bus and pray again for safety,angels to protect it, traveling mercies. All of a second Nick is behind me saying that he had been assigned to a third bus. Just then it but me like a ton of bricks. I was not to simply pray for my son's bus. I begged God's forgiveness and prayed fervently for all four buses, after I gather a few other Christian parents.

That was 1991 and I have never forgotten that moment of clarity. God is still working on me.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Yep, He had to teach me the same lesson. I wasn't praying in a public setting like you, but I was still praying for 'me & mine' so to speak. I'm still ashamed.
You know, I think God patiently grows us in awareness of who and what to pray for through those kinds of circumstances. There's things I pray for now I never thought to do so until God brought it gently to my mind. Reminds me of where scripture talks of the Holy Spirit helping us to pray.

Sure enjoy reading about people's God moments. :)

Walter Kerr

Sure enjoy reading about people's God moments.
I do also.
It is comforting to realise that we are all struggling somewhere and that our faithful God takes account of the fact that "we are but dust."

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this subject and thanks to our dear departed sister Mary Brown who started this thread. She is dead but liveth for evermore and her idea for this thread is still blessing us today.

pixelpusher

It was a Wednesday night before the dementia took my Gran away. We hadn’t gotten to church that night. Gran called afterwards and said “T, I went down to the altar tonight and got saved.”

Praise God! That knowledge has brought me so much comfort. I look so forward to seeing her again, and you guys to meet. Likely she’s already friends with Mary.

Rocky Rivera

At my previous job, I worked dayshift on the weekends. Nobody else but me was there at the office, and I'd usually read Scripture when I have no duties to attend to. I was reading the book of Hebrews, and after two or three chapters, I felt very strongly the presence of God in the room with me! It felt very tangible, very loving, very close. I have never felt as close to God as I did in that moment, so at peace! It lasted as long as I was reading the Bible, and when I finished, the experience stayed with me. The only other time that came close was a dream I had seven years ago. In the dream, I felt the awesome Presence. I was aware of no one and nothing else but Him. If what I experienced was a hint of what Heaven will be like, I cannot wait until the day I feel His awesome presence every second of the day, and feel at perfect peace every single minute whether awake or asleep.

Lynn

God is peace and when in His presence we may know it too.
Yes, Walter, that's right. Before I was saved, I was somewhat fearful about flying. I always calmed my nerves with a couple of drinks as soon as I could after boarding. A few years later, after I was saved, I had to fly again. (Oh, no!) As I sat there in my seat the usual anxiety began to rush over me. I was undecided what to do. Finally, I began to pray, and I told the Lord that I didn't want to get rid of the anxiety the way I had done in the past. I asked Him to help me to relax and to feel calm about this flight. As soon as I finished praying, the most quiet peaceful feeling washed over me. I almost felt like I was at the dentist having been given a dose of nitrous oxide. Such beautiful waves of peace! No anxiety whatsoever!
A few years ago, my husband and I were on a small regional jet flying to Cincinnati. On this flight, I had brought my yarn & wooden knitting needles. There was 'extreme' turbulence like I'd never experienced before. Other passengers seemed to be concerned, but I just calmly knitted and even inwardly smiled at the bumpy 'fun' ride we were having. So thankful to God for giving me a sense of His presence and His peace.
PS: In December, we're supposed to fly to Hawaii with one of our sons & family. Right now, I'm not sure if I really want to fly again. If I do though, God will give me His peace, just as He has so many times in the past

ByGod'sGrace

I love this thread!! Another God moment, when I felt His peace the most in my life....I was 22, recovering from the deaths of two close friends, teaching first and second graders in Taiwan. Over the past 5 months while teaching in Taiwan, I had lost over 30 pounds on my already small frame and as a 22 year old, I was the same weight I was when I was in 8th grade. I had no idea what was wrong with me, but had been losing weight, stomach pains, hair falling out, etc. I was too stubborn to quit my teaching contract (even though now, looking back, I had no idea how I taught in that state). When the time came to fly home to California, I was terrified I would die before I made it home because I barely had the strength to walk up one flight of stairs...I was 96 pounds, so weak. The thought of flying home and walking through airports filled me with dread. Then all of a sudden, I felt God's peace. It was like a voice inside of me said, "you will make it home." A lot of strangers helped me on my journey home, from getting my bag off the carousel, etc. Praise God, the scariest time of my life was also when I felt the closest to God and that He was protecting me. I later found out I had Celiacs (auto-immune disease) and all of the gluten in the soy sauce had destroyed the villi in my small intestine making it impossible to absorb nutrients from food. Bleh. Anyway, that diagnosis turned out to help my whole family, because Celiacs is genetic. God was definitely protecting me, even though I was stubborn to not leave when I should have gone home to heal.

Walter Kerr

The stories seem endless and why would they not be? The God who sees when a "sparrow falls" will always watch over His loved ones for whom He died.
I asked Him to help me to relax and to feel calm about this flight.
And He did!
A lot of strangers helped me on my journey home, from getting my bag off the carousel, etc. Praise God, the scariest time of my life was also when I felt the closest to God and that He was protecting me.
"A lot of strangers helped me" and they were, perhaps unknowingly, sent by the Lord.

Thanks for your stories Lynn and ByGod'sGrace, they were a blessing, but not a surprise!

Last edited:

Jan51

I too used to have a great fear of flying. Actually anything high--I don't get on roofs, I don't like swings or carnival rides that go up in the air, or even ladders farther than about 3 steps. Here's how He took away my fear of flying. He didn't just give me peace one day on an airplane; He set things up in my life to help me learn to deal with fear.

I even found tall horses to be scary. God finally gave me a horse of my very own when I was 49 (that is another "God moment," lol), and she was not tall. She was perfect for me, a sturdy gray Arab mare. But she was a horse with major problems--what my husband and I call a "rehab" or "project horse." She didn't buck; I think she physically could not because of an old back injury--she never even bucked playfully in her pen. But she was a headstrong runaway, and if you tried to control her, she plunged around like a madman, flinging her head and body about, trying to pull away from you. I loved horses, and loved riding, but I had always been a timid rider. I was trying to overcome that, so God gave me Rosie, LOL.

To make a long story short, I hadn't waited 49 years to have my own horse to not ride her because I was scared! I rode her every day, and battled my fears every day. She slowly improved over a couple years, turning into a solid quiet dependable horse that I could use to give lessons to beginners. About that time I had to fly somewhere. Usually the fear starts as soon as I enter the plane, and escalates once we start taxiing. I clutch the armrests, go rigid, my heart pounds, my chest is tight, my stomach hurts. But this time nothing happened, even when we actually lifted off! I couldn't believe it. I realized that Rosie was responsible! Through dealing with her, God had helped me learn to face and conquer fear. Over the next years, I found that many of my fears were no longer big issues for me, and they do not control me. Thank you Rosie! Thank you Lord!

Milly_Light

At my previous job, I worked dayshift on the weekends. Nobody else but me was there at the office, and I'd usually read Scripture when I have no duties to attend to. I was reading the book of Hebrews, and after two or three chapters, I felt very strongly the presence of God in the room with me! It felt very tangible, very loving, very close. I have never felt as close to God as I did in that moment, so at peace! It lasted as long as I was reading the Bible, and when I finished, the experience stayed with me. The only other time that came close was a dream I had seven years ago. In the dream, I felt the awesome Presence. I was aware of no one and nothing else but Him. If what I experienced was a hint of what Heaven will be like, I cannot wait until the day I feel His awesome presence every second of the day, and feel at perfect peace every single minute whether awake or asleep.

I also like feeling God's presence. Thanks for sharing your experience. I like it.

Goodie

Back in the early 80s I had a group called the Whirlybirds. A group of K-3 grade kiddos that met on Wednesday night at our church. Well it was after Christmas and we had had precious little snow that winter. Came for prayer time and they decided to ask God for snow. These were some of the most fervent prayers I have ever been witness to. Thursday night the snow started and I praised God for the answer of yes to my little Whirlybirds . It snowed Friday, Saturday night it stopped. What a glorious amount of snow. The pastor did come to our room that next Wednesday night . He thanked us for our faith and then asked us to please not ask for snow again until next year.

Accepted

I’ll share another one. It was early Summer of 1991, we lived in Modesto, CA, we had a four-year-old son, and I was 7 (almost 8) months pregnant with our second son. We decided to take a nice little vacation not that far from home before the baby was due, camping in the Sierras with our truck and camper. It was beautiful.

One day we were walking near the King’s River, which was pretty high in early summer. We had our yellow Lab with us, and she loved retrieving sticks from the river. We found a calm area separated from the main force of the river by a little island, and were letting her fetch. Well, one stick got away from her and was floating dangerously toward the more forceful part of the river, so we called her back, but she may not have heard us over the water, or was too determined to get that stick. She became kind of stuck in a whirlpool area, and was clearly going to drown. I foolishly said to my husband, “Help her!” Our four-year old was watching and I didn’t want him to see his beloved dog drown (nor did any of us).

So my husband crawls out on a log to get to the dog, and attempts to pull her up, but the water kept pulling her down. To my horror, he slips on purpose into the water to help her, and I saw him going down! I am standing there, more vulnerable than I’ve ever been, heavily pregnant and holding my four-year-old’s hand, completely unable to help him! I screamed, “JESUS!” The second I called on His name, my husband’s head bobbed up! He put our dog on the log and they both got back to shore. I was shaking!

Oh my goodness. When my faith feels low, I go over all the times the Lord has intervened for me. This is one of them. Psalm 103:2: “Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits.” Thank You, Jesus!

Jan51

One day we were walking near the King’s River, which was pretty high in early summer. We had our yellow Lab with us.....she became kind of stuck in a whirlpool area, and was clearly going to drown.
I had a scary God moment in the Kings River too! Many years ago. Went tubing with some friends, it was spring, the river was WAY high, lots of rapids. They tied all the inner tubes together with a big rope. I was a timid, fearful person, I could barely swim and am afraid of water when I can't touch bottom or reach the edge. But I was trying to prove I wasn't a chicken, and I figured the tubes would be safe.

Going around a bend, my tube came loose from the rope and got sucked to the outside of the turn. The water was so fast that in a moment the others were out of sight! The river was so high, it was half way up the tree branches. I was hanging on for dear life, on my back on the tube. Ahead a big limb was across the water, about a foot above the water. I was afraid it would hit me in the face, so as I went under it I put a hand on it to help me pass under it. But the water sucked my inner tube out from under me and I grabbed the limb with both arms in that second. My tube was gone!

I was too far from shore to pull myself over, and the water was sucking at me so hard I couldn't let go enough to try. I thought I was going to die that day. YET--I had this strange feeling that I was NOT! Of course I am praying like crazy. How was God planning to help me? It looked and felt hopeless. A couple was fishing upriver from me. I yelled but the water was too loud, and they didn't hear me. I knew if I let go I'd get sucked under and caught in branches. My head was just above water. But somehow I had no fear, only peace.

Finally after an eternity, I saw a fellow from our group. He had been wearing a wetsuit and flippers and had managed to get to the shore after he saw my predicament. He was carrying a tube. He crawled out into the tree as far as he could, but was still 8-10 feet from me. He yelled as loud as he could, so I could hear him over the water, that he was going to throw the tube to me, and I had to grab it. I can still hear his words: "IT'S YOUR ONLY CHANCE!!!" I nodded and prayed. He threw it. I let go and grabbed it! Thank you Lord!

Down the river I went! He dove in and caught up to me and we went down the river together till he could get me to the shore where I could recuperate. He had saved my life. My clothes were practically pulled off me and my hair was full of branches and I was exhausted. I decided I really didn't need to pretend I wasn't chicken; from now on I was just fine with being a chicken, and I would not do anything like this again. But God had told me I was going to be OK, and I was.