Do We Need Yet Another Bible Version?

Set free 47

No doubt you have heard of the LSB Translation, and its cheer leader John MacArthur. He has included it in his ever growing translations for his JM Study BIble. I was not sure what the LSB acronym stood for, so I just called it the "Lordship Salvation Bible", LOL. It's actually an update of the the NASB and stands for the "Legacy Standard Bible." Personally, I would never read the JM Study Bible or anything he has put his false gospel hands on.
But I digress, do we really need another version? I guess it helps JMac's ever growing mega bucks industry. Personally, I am satisfied with the KJV and NASB which I use.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
We probably still need Bibles translated in to some of the world's many languages, but in English anyway we have tons of versions, and those get updated as new (old) information comes out. I mostly use the NASB and I've decided to stick with NASB1995 since I'm trusting of that version and don't really know if I can trust the updates being made to the NASB.

Last edited:

Set free 47

There seems to be a Calvinist tilt to modern versions: read Luke 2:14 in the KJV; then look at the wording used for the same verse in the popular modern versions. The KJV verse 14 ends.... "good will toward men," Compare this with the NASB which reads, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among men with whom He is pleased." (Luke 2:14, NASB). Other popular versions read similar with limited atonement implications. No wonder these modern translations are preferred by Calvinists like J Mac. with their convoluted Augustianian, gnostics, man-made doctrines like the Tulip.

Carl

Each and every Christian should have their own translation. That way no one will be able to talk to anyone else about the Bible.

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
I have found the NKJV and HCSB to be the best study Bibles for me.

NASB is likely the best longest running translation in American English.

Most often the differences are semantics, but sometimes its the struggle between literal and figurative translation.

For those who translate into other languages, we should always pray for them. To be 100% guided by the Holy Spirit in such endeavors.

TRex2

I would agree with most of what is said here, except what appears to be tongue in cheek (but I do get the humor).

I think I would add the ESV, even though it isn't my choice (I prefer the NASB) .

I know several scholars who have looked at the ESV, and don't know of any who have found any real problems with it.

Sometimes I wonder if it is a requirement, at some Seminaries, to do another translation, in order to get some certain credential.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I love Kingeth Jameth :biggrin
If I need something more modern language or want to compare something, ESV or NKJV.
Having multiples gives me access to notes and appendices from different traditions and emphases.

Last edited:

Len

I used the NKJV for many years but I always struggled with Phil 2:8 and one day my wife was reading from her bible (forget what version perhaps NIV) and I was following on in the NKJV and though hers seemed to say the same thing it did not mean the same thing as the NKJV, so I dragged out the old copy of the KJV and it was actually quite to the point so I then decided to use that ( I eventually discovered a better version called the KJV-er) ..... BUT that was my journey.

Philippians 2:8
New King James Version
And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

KJV
And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I used the NKJV for many years but I always struggled with Phil 2:8 and one day my wife was reading from her bible (forget what version perhaps NIV) and I was following on in the NKJV and though hers seemed to say the same thing it did not mean the same thing as the NKJV, so I dragged out the old copy of the KJV and it was actually quite to the point so I then decided to use that ( I eventually discovered a better version called the KJV-er) ..... BUT that was my journey.

Philippians 2:8
New King James Version
And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

KJV
And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.
Philippians 2:8, ESV

8 He humbled Himself—
becoming obedient to the point of death,
even death on a cross.
Phillipians 2:8, TLV

8 and in fashion having been found as a man, he humbled himself, having become obedient unto death -- death even of a cross,
Phillipians 2:8, YLT

8 And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
Philippians 2:8, NIV

8 He appeared as a man.
He was humble and obeyed God completely.
He did this even though it led to his death.
Even worse, he died on a cross!
Philippians 2:8, NIRV

8 He was humble and walked the path of obedience all the way to death—
his death on the cross.
Philippians 2:8, GNT

Good News (GNT) was the paraphrase they gave us in Confirmation in the 7th Grade. My previous church had given us all real King James Bibles in the 4th Grade. What a difference in expectations for kids, and how different the rigorousness of teaching for kids in the two churches!

maryrae

No more translations needed. Whatever translation that sticks to/or close to the original languages are enough. We have so many. Another one will not, in my opinion, cause an unbeliever to repent, and turn to the Lord. The Word of God is there for people to read, but for the unbeliever, some of their hearts are hard and cold. No amount of translations of Scripture would be enough for those types, sadly. :'(

Tink

Buy your grandchildren a printed copy of your favorite study bible. The Chinese are re-writing the Bible to fit their political values. Even in the West, Artificial Intelligence is being used to re-write portions of the Bible to fit the Humanist world view. Printed because one day we will wake up and all the online bibles will either not be available or will have been replaced by a version more acceptable to the government. Prepare your home to host a home church, they will be the only ones remaining that will teach the the Truth and worship Jesus. The only thing that will prevent us seeing these things is the Rapture. Come quickly Lord Jesus.

Back