Do we need to confess our sins?

DonO

Hi this is a lesson I reciently shared with a group of teenagers at the Church I attend. Please let me know if you think confession is a necessary thing.

Confession is truly good for the soul.​

Psa 32:1 [[[A Psalm] of David, Maschil.]] Blessed [is he whose] transgression [is] forgiven, [whose] sin [is] covered. 32:2 Blessed [is] the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit [there is] no guile.

Blessed means HAPPY, so HAPPY is the person who is forgiven of the guilt of sin.
Transgression means rebellion against people against your nation and most importantly against God.
Is there much rebellion in the world today? How about in those you hang out with? Do you see an attitude of rebellion in them?
Forgiven means to be taken away, carried off or swept away. In the old Testament on the Day of Atonement the High Priest had 2 goats one was sacrificed and it’s blood shed to cover the sin of the person. Also there was a scape goat where the priest laid his hands on the head of the animal and the sins of the people were laid on it and it was driven away into the wilderness to be remembered no more.
Sin means anything we do that falls short of Gods commands or will in our life.
Covered means to be hidden or concealed. God will cover our sin with the blood of Jesus Christ. So he is able to forget it.
Do we tend to try to cover our sins? If we try to hide our sin from God we are not going to be a happy person.

Jer 17:9 The heart [is] deceitful above all [things], and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Impute means to lay something or charge something against us or put to our account.
Iniquity means perverseness or depravity. Do you think there is much of this in the world today?
What examples of iniquity do we see daily?

Child Abuse? Sexual Predators? Rampant Adultery? Homosexuality? The list can go on and on if you watch the news.

Guile means slackness or deceitfulness or a treacherous person.

So the second verse is saying HAPPY is the person who God does not charge to their account the perverseness and depravity that a deceitful and treacherous person has without forgiveness of sin.

Psa 32:3 When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long. 4 For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah

There is consequences to trying to hide sin and not confess it to God. There is emotional battles we go through by keeping it bottled up inside and not acknowledging it to God. And because of the effect the mind has on our body we can suffer physical sickness as well.

What are some of the mental effects that can happen if we hold on to our sin?

Guilt? Depression? Dread? Anxiety? There are many mental problems we can have if we try to hide our sin.

What are some physical ailments we could suffer as well?

Insommnia? High Blood Pressure? Heart problems? Digestive ailements? We suffer physicaly as well when we hold on to our sin and try to cover it up from people and most importantly from God.

. Psa 32:5 I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah.

Selah means think on this thought, take a pause here and reflect on the truth. David came to the Lord confessing his shortcomings (sin) his perverseness and depravity (iniquity) and his rebellion (transgressions) against God and he was forgiven.

1Jo 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Psa 32:6 For this shall every one that is godly pray unto thee in a time when thou mayest be found: surely in the floods of great waters they shall not come nigh unto him. 7 Thou [art] my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah.

Again when things are falling apart and it seems like your world is crumbling around you and the flood waters are about to sweep you away you need to turn to the Lord. Only in the Lord will we find the security we need, the overshadowing presence of the Lord will deliver us.

Psa 32:8 I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye. 9 Be ye not as the horse, [or] as the mule, [which] have no understanding: whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle, lest they come near unto thee.

God gives us his word to instruct us in the ways we should go and how we should live. He is saying don’t be like the animals use your mind and apply what you learn of God and his ways.

Psa 32:10 Many sorrows [shall be] to the wicked: but he that trusteth in the LORD, mercy shall compass him about.: 11 Be glad in the LORD, and rejoice, ye righteous: and shout for joy, all [ye that are] upright in heart.

So does the opening statement have truth in it? Is confession truly good for the soul?

Sing4Him

JUDE 1:3 Contender!
I'm not quite sure if your question was directed towards your youth group of if you wanted our thoughts.

It is important to realize whom the verse was written to and being spoken to and about.

Most of the NT letters were the Holy Spirit speaking to "the church" through Paul.

o.k.. now I am posting this from way of the master's website:

What are the five fruits of a true convert?
1. Fruit of Repentance (Matthew 3:8)
2. Fruit of Thanksgiving (Hebrews 13:15)
3. Fruit of Good Works (Colossians 1:10)
4. Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)
5. Fruit of Righteousness (Philippians 1:11)
6. Tribulation, temptation, and persecution.

Sing4Him

JUDE 1:3 Contender!
When we come to the cross to ask Jesus into our heart as Lord and Savior, we come as complete sinners in NEED of His saving grace so that we might been "look upon" and seen Clean in the eyes of God. Forgive me Lord, I am a lowly sinner in Need of salvation which you have done for the worm I am, on the cross through the shedding of your blood in MY PLACE-- Me, the one who deserved the pain and ultimate death. Jesus, the one who loved us so much died for me.

Do we need to confess that we are depraved sinners?
Yes.. why? We need to be cleansed and Jesus took our sins.. as we confessed then to Him.. For us in order for us to have eternal life..

Back