Disturbing’: Experts troubled by Canada’s euthanasia laws

GEOINTAnalyst

TORONTO (AP) — Alan Nichols had a history of depression and other medical issues, but none were life-threatening. When the 61-year-old Canadian was hospitalized in June 2019 over fears he might be suicidal, he asked his brother to “bust him out” as soon as possible.

Within a month, Nichols submitted a request to be euthanized and he was killed, despite concerns raised by his family and a nurse practitioner.

His application for euthanasia listed only one health condition as the reason for his request to die: hearing loss.

“Alan was basically put to death,” his brother Gary Nichols said.

Disability experts say the story is not unique in Canada, which arguably has the world’s most permissive euthanasia rules — allowing people with serious disabilities to choose to be killed in the absence of any other medical issue.

https://apnews.com/article/covid-science-health-toronto-7c631558a457188d2bd2b5cfd360a867

mphsmom

I firmly believe that only God is the one who should have control over life and death. I have lived in terrible pain for the past 26 years, and there are times I have wondered if I would consider such a thing if I had not been saved. God has not called me home to be with Him yet, so He still wants me down here. I think of how much pain Job and Paul were in, and God still was able to use them, so I am just going to wait for God's call.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I firmly believe that only God is the one who should have control over life and death. I have lived in terrible pain for the past 26 years, and there are times I have wondered if I would consider such a thing if I had not been saved. God has not called me home to be with Him yet, so He still wants me down here. I think of how much pain Job and Paul were in, and God still was able to use them, so I am just going to wait for God's call.

I might choose to decline treatment for a fatal disease for one or more of various reasons, but aside from that I wouldn't hurry along my death, I'd let it come as it will.

athenasius

TORONTO (AP) — Alan Nichols had a history of depression and other medical issues, but none were life-threatening. When the 61-year-old Canadian was hospitalized in June 2019 over fears he might be suicidal, he asked his brother to “bust him out” as soon as possible.

Within a month, Nichols submitted a request to be euthanized and he was killed, despite concerns raised by his family and a nurse practitioner.

His application for euthanasia listed only one health condition as the reason for his request to die: hearing loss.

“Alan was basically put to death,” his brother Gary Nichols said.

Disability experts say the story is not unique in Canada, which arguably has the world’s most permissive euthanasia rules — allowing people with serious disabilities to choose to be killed in the absence of any other medical issue.

https://apnews.com/article/covid-science-health-toronto-7c631558a457188d2bd2b5cfd360a867
I’ve shared on RF how my dad died- using this to commit suicide. My father in law a year later was denied hospice support but the nurse who denied help offered us euthanasia. He was out of the room so we all shot her down. Several members of the family suffer depression and have had suicidal thoughts. I pray FERVENTLY they never go to the hospital for help but stick to our pro life family doctor who treats all of us.

Its how Canada is dealing with the wait lists for health care now! Kill off anyone they can talk into it.

MapleLeaf

I’ve shared on RF how my dad died- using this to commit suicide. My father in law a year later was denied hospice support but the nurse who denied help offered us euthanasia. He was out of the room so we all shot her down. Several members of the family suffer depression and have had suicidal thoughts. I pray FERVENTLY they never go to the hospital for help but stick to our pro life family doctor who treats all of us.

Its how Canada is dealing with the wait lists for health care now! Kill off anyone they can talk into it.
Never open the euthanasia Pandora's box. I know they play on the emotions by showing the terminally ill but the terminally ill people still have value and inherent worth. I had a friend who was a very lonely teen rejected by her family when a terminally ill neighbour took her in and pointed her to God and Jesus. This woman used her last days on earth to have people over and to encourage them and pray for them. She must have had pain and so many discouraging days but God used her mightily.

Ever since the "for the greater good" talk really caught on...especially for public health...I have become increasingly worried it will start to be pushed onto those with special needs. I saw the old German propaganda films introducing the idea of how the disabled were "stealing" from the able-bodied Germans and how it was actually cruel to let them suffer in life.

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
I had a friend who was a very lonely teen rejected by her family when a terminally ill neighbour took her in and pointed her to God and Jesus. This woman used her last days on earth to have people over and to encourage them and pray for them. She must have had pain and so many discouraging days but God used her mightily.
This is awesome. Its true that when we become truly weak and humble we are at our strongest and empowered mightily by God. We never really know how he may use us but regardless it is pretty amazing when it happens.

[2Co 12:10 KJV] 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

cheeky200386

This is awesome. Its true that when we become truly weak and humble we are at our strongest and empowered mightily by God. We never really know how he may use us but regardless it is pretty amazing when it happens.

[2Co 12:10 KJV] 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
I really struggle with this verse. Whenever I'm in a lot of pain or sick for long periods of time, I tend to get depressed. I got really down during the first 2 months of my first trimester. No energy, unable to get out of bed, nauseaus all day, I was miserable.

I can't imagine how folks with chronic illness or pain do it.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Once upon a time, kidney dialysis was considered heroic and extraordinary treatment and only performed in specialized clinics in a few hospitals.
Today, it's pretty routine, performed in hospitals, stand-alone dialysis centers, and some larger clinics. There's even home dialysis.

If I have to use a secular reason to explain the worth of the terminally ill because someone won't listen to or consider the worth of all human beings as creations of God, this is one of them. Not that I'm advocating experimenting on the terminally ill for the sake of experimenting, or doing so involuntarily (shades of Mengele :eek However, what was learned from early, brave dialysis patients and the doctors that were doing everything possible to save them, has helped millions of patients over many decades. Kidney disease, transplant waiting list, toxic exposures, addicts, etc.

Today, people benefit directly from thousands of past and present clinical trials and medical hail marys, and people following benefit from what has been and is being learned.

I wonder what if and how Canada's euthanasia laws is impacting medical research and clinical trials.

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
I really struggle with this verse.
It is not an easy one. However, I think the apostles (especially Paul) were really pushed to the brink of human ability.

Here's another one for you.

[Act 9:15-17 NKJV] 15 But the Lord said to him, "Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel. 16 "For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name's sake." 17 And Ananias went his way and entered the house; and laying his hands on him he said, "Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you came, has sent me that you may receive your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit."

cheeky200386

It is not an easy one. However, I think the apostles (especially Paul) were really pushed to the brink of human ability.

Here's another one for you.

[Act 9:15-17 NKJV] 15 But the Lord said to him, "Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel. 16 "For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name's sake." 17 And Ananias went his way and entered the house; and laying his hands on him he said, "Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you came, has sent me that you may receive your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit."
I have read stories of Christians jailed in other countries for their faith. Many describe breaking during that time and they shed a sobering view on how easily we can fall apart during extreme duress. Pastor Wambalt (not sure on spelling) tells of many Christians going mad during prison in Soviet Russia. He tells of not feeling hope while imprisoned for 14 years and tortured but still having Faith. His book is sobering and humbling. I'd hate to have an unrealistic expectation of how I would be only to fall apart myself.

I only pray the Lord would spare us that kind of persecution.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven

Euthanasia Is Liberalism’s Endgame​

Canadian Minister of Justice David Lametti recently provoked outrage among his country’s political and media class after he drew an equivalence between the so-called medical assistance in dying (MAID) policy and suicide. Speaking on a radio program, Lametti said that since certain people were going to commit suicide anyway, the government may as well ensure that it is done in a more “humane way.” Proponents of euthanasia protested that the equivalence was not only false, but insulting.

Yet the way the euthanasia regime in Canada is evolving would suggest that we are, in fact, heading toward a situation like the one Lametti suggested: that is, state-enabled at-will suicide.

MAID is already accessible in all provinces to those whose illnesses are considered terminal, but as of March 2023, it will also be available to those afflicted with “mental illness” as their sole underlying condition. Additionally, “mature minors” will be eligible: that is, children over the age of 12 who are deemed fit by medical professionals to make the decision to choose euthanasia.

https://compactmag.com/article/euthanasia-is-liberalism-s-endgame

I posted this after seeing that Canada will let children as young as 12 choose Euthanasia. It would be hard to imagine being a parent of a child who would choose Euthanasia and be powerless to stop it.

Back