Dispensational Study Bible

LindaR

That's the same one I've been using for years. I bought it from PITN, about 5 or 6 years before JR Church went home.

I had a bittersweet moment with it recently, The cover finally gave. My reaction shocked me, lol. I was upset that my cover was worn off AND I was thrilled that I'd worn the cover off it!

I have several Bibles, but the only one's I use are my KJV and the HCS (for modern weights, measures, distances, etc). I too, use the Scoffield. I'm always looking for accuracy and it's very reliable.

What I'd like is the 1611 KJV (not in Gothic type...eeek!) which I use more and more now that it's been put online and can be converted into either Roman typeface with original spelling or modern English. But, it's some ridiculous price and as long as the power holds out I have it here, lol.
I purchased a KJV1611 from the Berean Call for $30 about 8 years ago. The type isn't Gothic, but the spelling is the original spelling. It's published by Hendrickson Publishers. My copy is hard back because that is what the Berean Call was offering at that time.

I purchased the Tim LaHaye Prophecy Study Bible for $20 at WalMart in 2001...it is also hard back.

I also have the Old Scofield Reference Bible. My only problem with it is C. I. Scofield taught the gap theory. His teaching on dispensations are excellent.

I use only the KJV.

Ken B

I would suggest a Scofield Study Bible. Very good, I love mine! Try to find a first addition. You may have to order online to get it, most now are like third addition I believe.

RJR_fan

Which study bible offers the best dispensational study bible on the market?

Cyrus I. Scofield "wrote the book" on a dispensational understanding of Scripture a century or so ago. Unfortunately, he was also a forger, a con artist, and a betrayer of friends, wife, and family. I strongly recommend Joseph Canfield's book "The Incredible Scofield and His Book" for critical background information.

mikhen7

Freed By Christ to Serve Christ
Cyrus I. Scofield "wrote the book" on a dispensational understanding of Scripture a century or so ago. Unfortunately, he was also a forger, a con artist, and a betrayer of friends, wife, and family. I strongly recommend Joseph Canfield's book "The Incredible Scofield and His Book" for critical background information.
???????????? Please! I would verify your sources before you start making charges against a solid Man of God.

Dr. C.I. Scofield - Biography of Dr Cyrus Ingerson Scofield

This is garbage:
The Shocking Truth About C.I. Scofield - Christians Be Warned - Religion - Nairaland

There are always people eager to falsely accuse a man of God. They may do so because they resent his calling, reject his teaching, resist biblical authority, resent virtue, or are jealous of the Lord’s blessing on his life. Ultimately, however, they demonstrate by making such accusations that they have become messengers of Satan. Such false accusations are one of his most dangerous weapons. Joseph, Moses, David, Jeremiah, Nehemiah, and our Lord Jesus Christ all suffered from false accusations (The MacArthur New Testament Commentary, 1 Timothy, 221).

mikhen7

I just read a 15 page review of Joseph Canfield's book "The Incredible Scofield and His Book" from Dallas theological Seminaries Bibliotheca sacra. The Seminary basically states that Canfield a "Reconstructionist/PostMillennialist" was at odds with Scofield over his PreMillennial view points. His accusations are unfounded and cannot be proven and are contrived. To read the full review you must be a subscriber but it is located in the July 1990 Bibliotheca sacra.
The Conclusion of the review is as follows:

Conclusion
Canfield's attempt to destroy dispensational premillennialism and discredit the Scofield Reference Bible by attacking the life of Scofield is unsuccessful. False assumptions, ad hominem arguments, innuendos, unfounded allegations, arguments from silence, character assassination, and omissions of certain important historical facts make this work unreliable. Canfield's effort is fruitless because attacking one leader of dispensational premillennialism does not undo the entire system. The truth of this system of theology is determined not by the life of an individual but by its biblical moorings.

Any Minute

Tetelestai !!
I just read a 15 page review of Joseph Canfield's book "The Incredible Scofield and His Book" from Dallas theological Seminaries Bibliotheca sacra. The Seminary basically states that Canfield a "Reconstructionist/PostMillennialist" was at odds with Scofield over his PreMillennial view points. His accusations are unfounded and cannot be proven and are contrived. To read the full review you must be a subscriber but it is located in the July 1990 Bibliotheca sacra.
The Conclusion of the review is as follows:

Conclusion
Canfield's attempt to destroy dispensational premillennialism and discredit the Scofield Reference Bible by attacking the life of Scofield is unsuccessful. False assumptions, ad hominem arguments, innuendos, unfounded allegations, arguments from silence, character assassination, and omissions of certain important historical facts make this work unreliable. Canfield's effort is fruitless because attacking one leader of dispensational premillennialism does not undo the entire system. The truth of this system of theology is determined not by the life of an individual but by its biblical moorings.

I completely agree with your post.

I too spent several hours researching this book by Canfield when this post first appeared, reading the online version. I was quite disappointed in the blatant, unfounded attacks against Scofield andmore importantly, the obvious attack on dipensational premillenialism as clearly laid out in scripture.

I'm glad you addressed it Pastor Mike; I decided to leave it alone unless others took an interest.
Some may disagree with Scofield's conclusions in some of his commentary but a person could do far, far worse than a Scofield Study Bible. I have 2 and really enjoy reading both. It's still amazing the insight and correct interpretation he held when Israel hadn't even come back into the forefront again.

As far as the personal attacks, I wasn't there and can't corroborate the info. I will say a biography written about me before my acceptance of salvation certainly wouldn't stand up to biblical scrutiny, maybe Canfield's would?:idunno: There are times now that might not stand up if I was judged solely on isolated instances and not the saving faith in Christ alone.
What did Canfield call us? Rapturists, dispy's, followers of Saint Scofield, :lol:

mikhen7

I completely agree with your post.

I too spent several hours researching this book by Canfield when this post first appeared, reading the online version. I was quite disappointed in the blatant, unfounded attacks against Scofield andmore importantly, the obvious attack on dipensational premillenialism as clearly laid out in scripture.

I'm glad you addressed it Pastor Mike; I decided to leave it alone unless others took an interest.
Some may disagree with Scofield's conclusions in some of his commentary but a person could do far, far worse than a Scofield Study Bible. I have 2 and really enjoy reading both. It's still amazing the insight and correct interpretation he held when Israel hadn't even come back into the forefront again.

As far as the personal attacks, I wasn't there and can't corroborate the info. I will say a biography written about me before my acceptance of salvation certainly wouldn't stand up to biblical scrutiny, maybe Canfield's would?:idunno: There are times now that might not stand up if I was judged solely on isolated instances and not the saving faith in Christ alone.
What did Canfield call us? Rapturists, dispy's, followers of Saint Scofield, :lol:
Call me dispy if you like, just don't call me dipsy! Seriously, this guy had a vendetta. He is a postmil-Reconstructionist, i.e. he believes in "Kingdom Now" and "Dominion Theology" all of which is debunked on this forum.
God Bless you my brother!!

cspat64

You should look to the Holy Spirit for the additional study of the Bible. I have learnt through the years that the best bible study is the Bible itself. I have had many books whether in the hardcopy book form or the soft copy through the internet. I just stick to the Bible, the Word of God after all this year.

Wings

I'm not really sure what a Dispensation is? I have heard of the word. Must look it up.
'These were more noble than those in Thessalonica,
in that they received the word with all readiness of mind,
and searched the scriptures daily,
whether those things were so.'

(Act 17:11)

Hello @Hannah,

A dispensation, as I understand it, is an administration of God,, of which present administration (or dispensation) the Apostle Paul was made Steward, or Administrator, by God: the content of which being given by revelation from above, and made known by Paul in his later epistles, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus and Philemon.

(1Co 9:17) For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.
(Eph 1:10) That in the dispensation of the fulness of times He might gather together in one all things in Christ,
both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in Him:

(Eph 3:2) If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:
(Col 1:25) Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;

* In reference to the matter of what Bible to use, I use 'The Companion Bible': It is the KJV, but contains marginal notes and appendices which are very useful. However as with all such notes and appendices, and other reference works, what is written must be measured by the Word of God itself, for they are compiled by man, and are therefore open to error. That applies to concordance and dictionary definitions too, for it is how the Holy Spirit has used the words, within their context, that has the final word in regard to meaning and application.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Wings

Last edited:
Which study bible offers the best dispensational study bible on the market?

I don't really recommend Bible's, just a caution on some forms of dispensationalism.

Ironside gives a good synopsis of some extremes, like ultra-dispensationalism. You can find it online.

As you study and see differences in views, and can identify what the differences are, then the deep dive into scripture begins. Hope that helps a little.

Wings

I don't really recommend Bible's, just a caution on some forms of dispensationalism.

Ironside gives a good synopsis of some extremes, like ultra-dispensationalism. You can find it online.

As you study and see differences in views, and can identify what the differences are, then the deep dive into scripture begins. Hope that helps a little.
Hello @HeisEnough,

I like your user name: for Christ is indeed ENOUGH; and that will be the end result of any Bible study, if it is not then the question to ask is, "Why?"

In Christ Jesus
our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head.
Chris

PhilR

I use my Scofield KJV, 1917 edition with his original notes the most. I am dispensational and so was Scofield, and his notes are for the most part right. He was free grace alone and so am I. His cross references, chain of references and concordance are a joy to use. I also have a Thompson CR Bible, but I am somewhat disappointed with it--It's just seems more of a chore to use, heavy with too many chain references, notes and commentaries that take almost a third of the back of the book. It is supposed to be doctrinally neutral, but Frank Thompson was a toe-the-line Methodist minister. The notes are definitely not dispensational. I hardly ever use my Thompson, but I use my Scofield nearly all the time.
CI Scofield is accused of a lot of faults in his lifetime, but if we look in the mirror can any of us say we have been without sin? To me there is an inspired genius to Scofield's explaining the right division of the Bible; that we are no longer under the law, but instead under grace alone. Study Bibles come and go, but the Scofield Bible continues to be popular with Christians for 110 years and I think it will still be the rest of this century.

Last edited:

mattfivefour

Scofield is a good choice; better than Thompson, imo. But I'd rather not have any targeted Bible. I'd rather just have a solid translation and allow the Holy Spirit to open my understanding. For other inputs there are lots of commentaries available online that I can access. I neither need nor want to have my Bible cluttered with some minister's point of view ... regardless of how godly and sound he may be.

donna1951

Scofield is a good choice; better than Thompson, imo. But I'd rather not have any targeted Bible. I'd rather just have a solid translation and allow the Holy Spirit to open my understanding. For other inputs there are lots of commentaries available online that I can access. I neither need nor want to have my Bible cluttered with some minister's point of view ... regardless of how godly and sound he may be.
I totally agree with you Adrian. I have an NASB Study Bible by Charles Ryrie and while I agree with most of his notes, I am beginning to feel that I need to let the Holy Spirit teach me.

donna1951

I have the Ryrie in KJV and NAS too.
Don’t get me wrong, I really like this Bible and his notes. I guess I just want to learn with the Holy
Spirit guiding me.
I also have a Scofield KJV. Do you know whether or not he was a Calvinist ?
I have read that he was and that concerns me.

mattfivefour

I wouldn't worry about acc
Don’t get me wrong, I really like this Bible and his notes. I guess I just want to learn with the Holy
Spirit guiding me.
I wouldn't worry as much about Scofield leaning towards Calvinism (most of the great preachers of history were Calvinist to some degree) as much as I would be concerned as to whether his notes always agree with Scripture. There is a tendency to take his notes almost as inspired, and thus they are not subjected to true Berean scrutiny. Much within his notes is solid, but not everything. When a commentator's notes are in another book, it seems easier to judge. But when they are placed within a Bible, they seem to weld themselves to actual Scripture. As I said earlier, I would rather have a Bible free from interpretation and then consult various commentators to see their views when a particular passage intrigues me.

PhilR

Spirit guiding me.
That's the way I do it using my Scofield Bible. I study what the Bible says and take into consideration what Scofield's notes and comments have to say. But I try to be Berean and let the Spirit guide me. I think Scofield notes can open up doors for better understanding and enlarge my understanding, but they are not meant to stand alone; the Bible, the word of God has the final say.

No, Scofield was not a Calvinist; he was just a dispensational Biblicist and so am I. I think this term Calvinist is misused way too broadly. To me, Calvinism embraces the five points of Calvinism or at least some of them, if not, then it's not Calvinism. If a church or person is actually Calvinist it will be clear from their statement of faith. To me, the five points of Calvinism are man-made and erroneous.

Last edited:
Back