Dispensational Study Bible

Hannah

I'm not really sure what a Dispensation is? I have heard of the word. Must look it up.

Hannah

OK did a quick Google and found this on Wiki and checked another two sites they seem to agree with this definition of Dispensation.

Dispensationalism is a Protestant evangelical tradition [1] based on a biblical hermeneutic that sees a series of chronologically successive "dispensations" or periods in history in which God relates to human beings in different ways under different Biblical covenants. As a system, dispensationalism is rooted in the writings of John Nelson Darby (1800–1882) and the Brethren Movement.[2]:10 The theology of dispensationalism consists of a distinctive eschatological "end times" perspective, as all dispensationalists hold to premillennialism and most hold to a pretribulation rapture. Dispensationalists believe that the nation of Israel is distinct from the Church.

Rest of article can be found at......Dispensationalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not sure if any particular Bible has a Premillennial - Pretribulation Rapture view? I have a NIV Study Bible and while it is a generally OK Study Bible it is not really committed to this view.

JC1949

OK did a quick Google and found this on Wiki and checked another two sites they seem to agree with this definition of Dispensation.

Not sure if any particular Bible has a Premillennial - Pretribulation Rapture view? I have a NIV Study Bible and while it is a generally OK Study Bible it is not really committed to this view.

I had ( it has been stolen from me twice!!!) a PROPHECY BIBLE from Hagee...( I can guarantee not double covenant in that Bible) which was(is) absolutely amazing..
actually i just googled it:
**********: Prophecy Study Bible (9780785203414): John Hagee: Books

I highly recommend it....actually I guess I am going to buy it again....it is great...
I just need some money...a bit short now..
DAD?:lol:

mattfivefour

John McArthur's (though I have issues with his Calvinism amd his Cessationist views) study bible is dispensationalist. So is Finis Dake's (which is a marvelous doctrinal reference Bible). Scofield's is also dispensationalist.

Any Minute

Tetelestai !!
My wife reads mostly from an older Scofield's Reference Bible. Packed full of great info.

Don't mean to derail your thread but if others know of a good verse by verse expository bible I would be interested. My daughter has one put out by Jimmy Swagart, I have my reservations about it though.

mattfivefour

Jimmy Swaggart's Expositors Bible is a good exposition that lifts Jesus Christ from Genesis to Revelation and preaches the important message of the centrality of the Cross. Charles Stanley and John McArthur both have good study Bibles (though, as I said earlier, I have serious issues with their Calvinist and their Cessationist teachings). But true expository commentary Bibles are hard to find. You are far better using a copuple of good translations (NASB, NIV, etc) and variety of commentaries ... all of which which used to be expensive before the internet came along but are now available online at no cost. www.biblegateway.com is a good site to begin with.

I hope this helps.

Any Minute

Tetelestai !!
Yes, thanks for the info. I try to read on-line but I prefer a hard copy, the computer reading hurts my eyes after awhile.

I love the way J. S. always preaches the Cross. By the way, I bought that Bible for both my daughters, so like I said, minor issues.

I will look into your other suggestions :thumbup

Last edited:

mattfivefour

The "affairs as Church leader" were almost a quarter century ago now. I put them down to the same sort of fall as King David who committed adultery with another man's wife and then when she got pregnant he had her husband murdered so his sin would not be uncovered. God of course does not cover unrepented secret sin but exposes it. As I read Psalms, I see the work God did in David, making him into a man who became an earthly reflection of God in many ways. Indeed, God called Him a man after His own heart. (1 Samuel 13:14; Acts 13:22) I see the work he has done in me, taking me from being a Jacob and making me into an Israel ... the same work He does in all who come to Him in truth. And I see the work He has done in Pastor Swaggart. I know that as a result of his great fall, battling a sin he could not conquer in himself, he began years of seeking the secret of victory, finally being shown it in the Cross. Had it not been for his fall, he might never have come to the point where he revealed the secret of Christian living is totally in the Cross. Certainly God is using him, his son Donnie, his grandson Gabriel, and the many pastors like Loren Larson, Bob Cornell, Jim Woolsey. John Rosenmstern, etc. The ministry is growing like wildfire and once again beginning to preach the gospel—the full message of the Cross—worldwide.

Please understand. I am not a worshiper of men. But I do hold many (such as Chuck Smith, Roger Oakland, John McArthur, Charles Stanley, etc) in regard as honest preachers and teachers. I only wrote this post to try and set the record straight for some people are still confused about past events and the situation now. I know a few men of God who know Jimmy personally and who are in close contact with him. They tell me the man is genuine in their daily contacts with him. I also have the witness of the spirit myself.

God bless.

Any Minute

Tetelestai !!
The "affairs as Church leader" were almost a quarter century ago now. I put them down to the same sort of fall as King David who committed adultery with another man's wife and then when she got pregnant he had her husband murdered so his sin would not be uncovered. God of course does not cover unrepented secret sin but exposes it. As I read Psalms, I see the work God did in David, making him into a man who became an earthly reflection of God in many ways. Indeed, God called Him a man after His own heart. (1 Samuel 13:14; Acts 13:22) I see the work he has done in me, taking me from being a Jacob and making me into an Israel ... the same work He does in all who come to Him in truth. And I see the work He has done in Pastor Swaggart. I know that as a result of his great fall, battling a sin he could not conquer in himself, he began years of seeking the secret of victory, finally being shown it in the Cross. Had it not been for his fall, he might never have come to the point where he revealed the secret of Christian living is totally in the Cross. Certainly God is using him, his son Donnie, his grandson Gabriel, and the many pastors like Loren Larson, Bob Cornell, Jim Woolsey. John Rosenmstern, etc. The ministry is growing like wildfire and once again beginning to preach the gospel—the full message of the Cross—worldwide.

Please understand. I am not a worshiper of men. But I do hold many (such as Chuck Smith, Roger Oakland, John McArthur, Charles Stanley, etc) in regard as honest preachers and teachers. I only wrote this post to try and set the record straight for some people are still confused about past events and the situation now. I know a few men of God who know Jimmy personally and who are in close contact with him. They tell me the man is genuine in their daily contacts with him. I also have the witness of the spirit myself.

God bless.

mattfivefour,
I couldn't agree with your response and the Biblical example of King David more.
First, I must apologize for what I can now see was an insensitive remark and wasn't well thought out before I replied.

I too, now appreciate the the fruits of his labor. I agree, it has always been about the Cross whether looking forward(concealed) or or back (revealed). I have to willingly humble myself and repent before Christ and what took place on the Cross daily. The testimony of Christ and The Cross is the only thing I believe all born again believers should be pointing others to. I think 1Corinthians 1:18 speaks loudly here.

I still catch Brother Swaggarts broadcasts occasionally and have learned much from him. His monthly magazine can be quite informative also.

I try daily to keep my eyes focused on the Cross, I still fail miserably. I can't even put into words how grateful I am, that whether I'm looking up to God or He's looking at me, it's always through our Saviour Jesus Christ and what he did at the Cross.

I ask for your forgiveness and of others who read this, for my careless words.

GlennO

Benefactor -

I just re-purchased an electronic version of my C.C. Ryrie study bible (NASB) to prolong the life of my hard copy. It's surviving now with the aid of a hot-glue gun. ( I can not imagine the task of transferring years of notes to a new sword) :ohno

Ryrie's study notes impart a recognition of the various dispensations without being "hyper".

Greater depth and focus here.
What is Dispensationalism?

4. These essentials of Dispensationalism are taken from John S. Feinberg's, "Systems of Discontinuity," Continuity and Discontinuity: Perspectives on the Relationship Between the Old and New Testaments, ed. John S. Feinberg (Wheaton: Crossway, 1988) 67-85. At this point we acknowledge the well-known sine qua non of Dispensationalism as put forth by Charles C. Ryrie. According to Ryrie, Dispensationalism is based on the three following characteristics: (1) a distinction between Israel and the church; (2) literal hermeneutics; and (3) A view which sees the glory of God as the underlying purpose of God in the world. See Charles C. Ryrie, Dispensationalism (Chicago: Moody Press, 1995) 38-40.

13. Charles C. Ryrie, "Update on Dispensationalism," Issues in Dispensationalism, John R. Master and Wesley R. Willis, eds. (Chicago: Moody, 1994) 20.

Hope this is useful:elmogrin

LindaR

I have a copy of Tim LaHaye's "Prophecy Study Bible, King James Version; AMG Publishers" that I purchased for $20 in 2001. It has some really good articles and excellent charts.

twit

I used the old Scofield many years back. Some notes are good, others not so good. Plus I found myself trusting on ( a man's) words rather than learn from the Spirit; so it was mere head knowledge rather than divine food.

I suggest a good reference Bible and compare scripture with scripture along with a good concordance and a heart willing to learn from the Spirit. There are many sites with great dispensational teaching to help you how to rightly divide the plan of the ages.

Last edited:

Conquirere

The Henry Morris Study Bible is another option. Though it is only available in the KJV translation and is one of the largest (thickest) available due to it's larger font. The larger font is great for reading the commentary notes, however.

If you can find an older NIV Study bible, (mine is from 1995) those are also good thanks to proper views on Israel and general eschatology. I do not know if newer editions are the same, though.

LindaR

The Henry Morris Study Bible is another option. Though it is only available in the KJV translation and is one of the largest (thickest) available due to it's larger font. The larger font is great for reading the commentary notes, however.
Is the Henry Morris Study Bible the same as The New Defenders Study Bible? Perhaps an updated version of it?

jdude15

Which study bible offers the best dispensational study bible on the market?

I would highly recommend the "Old Scofield Study Bible". It contains excellent cross-references and a helpful (though not exhaustive) concordance. Bible passages have excellent paragraph headings and are nicely outlined. The notes are dispensational and conservative, and are mostly accurate. Just remember that God's Word always comes before man's word. The Scriptures should always be of first importance. I will warn you that Scofield's Bible promotes the erroneous Gap theory.

ReadyforSupper

I have a copy of Tim LaHaye's "Prophecy Study Bible, King James Version; AMG Publishers" that I purchased for $20 in 2001. It has some really good articles and excellent charts.

That's the same one I've been using for years. I bought it from PITN, about 5 or 6 years before JR Church went home.

I had a bittersweet moment with it recently, The cover finally gave. My reaction shocked me, lol. I was upset that my cover was worn off AND I was thrilled that I'd worn the cover off it!

I have several Bibles, but the only one's I use are my KJV and the HCS (for modern weights, measures, distances, etc). I too, use the Scoffield. I'm always looking for accuracy and it's very reliable.

What I'd like is the 1611 KJV (not in Gothic type...eeek!) which I use more and more now that it's been put online and can be converted into either Roman typeface with original spelling or modern English. But, it's some ridiculous price and as long as the power holds out I have it here, lol.

Last edited:
Back