Dispensational Study Bible

PhilR

That's the way I do it using my Scofield Bible. I study what the Bible says and take into consideration what Scofield's notes and comments have to say. But I try to be Berean and let the Spirit guide me. I think Scofield notes can open up doors for better understanding and enlarge my understanding, but they are not meant to stand alone. It is what the Bible say is what counts.

No, Scofield was not a Calvinist; he was just a dispensational Biblicist and so am I. I think this term Calvinist is misused way too broadly. To me, Calvinism embraces the five points of Calvinism or at least some of them, if not, then it's not Calvinism. If a church or person is actually Calvinist it will be clear from the statement of faith. To me, the five points of Calvinism are man-made and erroneous.
OOPs , double post.

donna1951

I wouldn't worry about acc
I wouldn't worry as much about Scofield leaning towards Calvinism (most of the great preachers of history were Calvinist to some degree) as much as I would be concerned as to whether his notes always agree with Scripture. There is a tendency to take his notes almost as inspired, and thus they are not subjected to true Berean scrutiny. Much within his notes is solid, but not everything. When a commentator's notes are in another book, it seems easier to judge. But when they are placed within a Bible, they seem to weld themselves to actual Scripture. As I said earlier, I would rather have a Bible free from interpretation and then consult various commentators to see their views when a particular passage intrigues me.
Thank you Adrian.

donna1951

That's the way I do it using my Scofield Bible. I study what the Bible says and take into consideration what Scofield's notes and comments have to say. But I try to be Berean and let the Spirit guide me. I think Scofield notes can open up doors for better understanding and enlarge my understanding, but they are not meant to stand alone.

No, Scofield was not a Calvinist; he was just a dispensational Biblicist and so am I. I think this term Calvinist is misused way too broadly. To me, Calvinism embraces the five points of Calvinism or at least some of them, if not, then it's not Calvinism. If a church or person is actually Calvinist it will be clear from the statement of faith. To me, the five points of Calvinism are man-made and erroneous.
Thank you Phil.

PhilR

I would highly recommend the "Old Scofield Study Bible". It contains excellent cross-references and a helpful (though not exhaustive) concordance. Bible passages have excellent paragraph headings and are nicely outlined. The notes are dispensational and conservative, and are mostly accurate. Just remember that God's Word always comes before man's word. The Scriptures should always be of first importance. I will warn you that Scofield's Bible promotes the erroneous Gap theory.
Yes, I agree. I think the Old Scofield Study Bible, 1909 or 1917 editions, are an excellent study/reference Bible. The text of the Bible is what is important and study notes can offer expanding your understanding, but are not final.. There are a few areas I disagree with Scofield's notes like on "gap theory" This was somewhat popular with Bible teachers in the 20th Century as a answer to Darwin's evolution theory which gained wide acceptance. Clarence Larkin in "Dispensational Truth" and Alfred Thompson Eade in his "Panorama Bible" series also promoted "Gap Theory"
If you would like a full picture of Scofield's dispensational teachings I would recommend his booklet, "Rightly Dividing the Word of Truth". But remember the Bible is the final word of Truth and not what men say.

Jan51

Benefactor -

I just re-purchased an electronic version of my C.C. Ryrie study bible (NASB) to prolong the life of my hard copy. It's surviving now with the aid of a hot-glue gun. ( I can not imagine the task of transferring years of notes to a new sword) :ohno
I had a Bible that was literally falling apart, cover and interior. I was sick about having to replace it. It was well-marked, with underlinings, circlings, and 30 years of notes I had written in margins. So when I got the new one, I set out to transfer all that over to the new Bible. It took me four months, and it was the most wonderful four months! I got a quick review of the whole Bible without having to read the whole thing, reviewing not only important verses, but insight and information I had added over the years. (I also left out some things I had written in many years earlier that I no longer agreed with, LOL.). I was so sad when I was done.

athenasius

I had a Bible that was literally falling apart, cover and interior. I was sick about having to replace it. It was well-marked, with underlinings, circlings, and 30 years of notes I had written in margins. So when I got the new one, I set out to transfer all that over to the new Bible. It took me four months, and it was the most wonderful four months! I got a quick review of the whole Bible without having to read the whole thing, reviewing not only important verses, but insight and information I had added over the years. (I also left out some things I had written in many years earlier that I no longer agreed with, LOL.). I was so sad when I was done.
I have to finish doing that. My old one was replaced, but I've not quite settled into my new one. I'm getting there but part of it, is visual memory, sort of seeing in my minds eye where on the page was THAT passage I'm looking for. Having my Bible plop open to passages I keep coming back to because the binding wore thin there. I've got the new one stuck by my spot in the living room, my old one is in my bedroom by my bed and my mum's old one is in the guest room also handy.

Jonathan

Scofield's is also dispensationalist.
What he said. If I could only have one Bible, it would be a NASB Scofield. But the great thing about the Scofield is that you can get it in many different translations to suit your taste (KJV, etc).

ETA: I am not the scholar that mattfivefour is, but I personally never got a Calvinist vibe from it. But as has been pointed out, study notes are not inspired. Only the actual text of The Word is. With that said, a good study bible can be very helpful and I personally think Scofield is the best. Just my opinion.

Back