Difference between pneuma and psyche....

AnewcreationinJesus

Soon and very soon ....
A friend said she had heard a podcast discussing whether man is made up of body soul spirit vs just body and soul, an interesting question and I must say, anything to get me digging into the word! So this evening have been looking up scriptures re pneuma, psyche and nous (Greek for spirit, soul and mind or understanding)....

Now am no Greek scholar so any thoughts would be appreciated!!

Wings

A friend said she had heard a podcast discussing whether man is made up of body soul spirit vs just body and soul, an interesting question and I must say, anything to get me digging into the word! So this evening have been looking up scriptures re pneuma, psyche and nous (Greek for spirit, soul and mind or understanding)....

Now am no Greek scholar so any thoughts would be appreciated!!

Hello there, @Anewcreationinjesus,

Oh bliss! Thank you for sharing. I feel like jumping into that pool too God willing, I shall be back to see what you have to contribute further.

* I know that the soul is the whole person, energised by life. For God made man of the dust of the ground and breathed into His nostrils the breath of life, and man became a living soul. I know also that the soul is not immortal, because it says in Ezekiel that the soul that sinneth it shall die, I know also that it goes back to the dust from whence it came, at death. It is only the breath of life (or spirit) which goes back to God who gave it. I know also that there is no life apart from resurrection, so the soul, devoid of life, remains in the dust until the resurrection from the dead, or in the case of the believer, is reckoned by God to be, 'asleep in Christ,' until raised out from among dead ones. Forgive me for giving no references to substantiate what I - 'know' (by the grace of God). Perhaps that can be given at another time. I just want to praise God for what He has revealed in His Word, and this is the outflow.

* I studied these three words and their usage some time ago, but need to refresh my mind on them.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Wings

Psyche? Aren't we talking about the word "psuche?"
Hi @antitox,

Psuche: (Strong's No: G5590) - is translated, the soul , the breath of life, the seat of life itself' (Luke 12:20; Romans 16:4), and figuratively:- the source of the will and the emotions; that of man which transcends earthly existence (John 12:27; Acts 14:2; 2 Corinthians 12:15; 1 Peter 2:25): and by metonomy, that which has life (Acts 2:43; 1 Peter 3:20); ( 'The New Englishman's Greek Concordance').

* It corresponds to three Hebrew words, the Strong Concordant Numbers of which are - H5315 (nephesh) , H7307 (ruach), and H2416 (chay). Only by looking through the verses containing these words, within their context, and comparing one with another, can we get a complete understanding of what this word signifies.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
I studied these three words and their usage some time ago, but need to refresh my mind on them.
I am so glad to see this topic open for discussion here at Rapture Forums. Just recently, I began reading The Economy of God, by Witness Lee. In this small paperback, he discusses the differences among body, soul, Spirit, and heart. Such an interesting read! I'm only on chapter 4, because I like to look up the Scriptures he mentions in order to read it in context and increase my understanding of these terms.

Jonathan

I am so glad to see this topic open for discussion here at Rapture Forums. Just recently, I began reading The Economy of God, by Witness Lee. In this small paperback, he discusses the differences among body, soul, Spirit, and heart. Such an interesting read! I'm only on chapter 4, because I like to look up the Scriptures he mentions in order to read it in context and increase my understanding of these terms.
Can anyone else recommend this book as well? Is it biblical?, because I find the topic fascinating and worthy of study. Thanks for the tip, Lynn.

Back