Diet advice

RobinB

I'm back on low carb and can feel the fat melting. I have a desk job and don't go to the gym. It's possible to lose weight without exercise, I'm proof.
If you have Netflix, watch the magic pill. It's not about a pill but changing your diet.
Same here, it's slower loss than it would have been when I was younger, but it's happening. Also have a desk job.

athenasius

when I'm low carb I don't think about food because my blood sugar is stable and I'm not hungry.
Me too.

The exercise=weight loss connection has been studied and it's JUST NOT a great way to try to lose weight. Yes it's healthy, but for most people with larger amounts of weight the results of a low carb diet are far far better with FAR lower risks of joint damage. And for people in wheelchairs, whose mobility is limited, and who can't exercise enough to make a difference DO lose weight just fine without it. Plenty of low carb diet anecdotes and even some studies on that. Here's an example: https://www.dietdoctor.com/the-keto-diet-from-inability-to-walk-to-flying-a-plane

Exercise can help MAINTAIN weight loss but the science is pretty good proving that it is NOT that helpful in actual weight loss. https://www.vox.com/2016/4/28/11518804/weight-loss-exercise-myth-burn-calories

Low carb beats low calorie diets for weight loss particularly in people with more to lose whose Insulin Resistance is more established and in WOMEN whose hormones trend to fat storage, rather than fat burning like men with an abundance of testosterone. https://medium.com/better-humans/why-a-low-carb-diet-is-best-for-weight-loss-28fd2a731146

athenasius

To lose weight, first you need to stop thinking about food, secondly you need to start playing sports and thirdly, you should eat so that you consume fewer calories than you spend. Thanks to these three tips, you can easily lose about 5-8 kilograms per month. If these steps do not help you, then you may have problems with metabolism and genetics. In this case, you need to urgently consult a doctor. Or you can try the fat burning operation at ********* My friend has already tried this method and it really works.
This thread, was started by the OP who gave us this request. Your reply is way off base. This is what she asked and it's a very very reasonable request:
Hello,
I'm in a wheelchair due to multiple sclerosis and have gained a large amount of weight over the years. I'm trying to avoid a gastric bypass and I'm interested in hearing about people's experiences with diets; especially people with a lot of health issues like myself. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
This link would help her far more, https://www.dietdoctor.com/the-keto-diet-from-inability-to-walk-to-flying-a-plane

Ok I am a retired RN from here in Western Canada. I've got problems with this advice you gave.

Stop thinking about food. Works if you aren't dieting much, but on a low cal diet, it's all I can think of and most people are the same way. For people with more than 10 lbs to lose, this advice not only won't work, it flies in the face of how your body works to maintain it's weight, even if it's overweight.

Play sports. I have an auto immune disorder plus thyroid problems. There are days when just getting dressed is an accomplishment! The OP has MS, and is in a wheelchair. SPORTS ARE NOT THE SOLUTION for either situation.

Eat so you consume fewer calories than you expend . Well first off, Low CARBING will ensure that without the cravings that go along with low calorie dieting for a lot of us who've tried both systems. So yes, Low Carb and Keto WILL result in net fewer calories, but that isn't the whole reason that those diets help people lose weight-- there is some metabolic science to back that up. For proof read Gary Taubes book Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It. He goes into all the science, all the metabolic research as to why the diets we've been discussing in this thread not only work to lose weight but also to reduce inflammation for those of us with Auto Immune disorders (like MS for instance)

5-8 KILOS??? That is 11 lbs to 17.64 LBS! That is NOT a sustainable weight loss, that is a crash diet. Most dieticians prefer to see the fastest safe weight loss in the 8 to 10 lb per month range or at a moderate rate of 6-8 lbs per month in order to prevent a sudden severe rebound after the diet is over to weight that usually soars well above.

Most people in practice, who lose weight slowly don't rebound as easily after the diet is over. 6-8 lb per month is better and safer in the long run than 8-10. And if you need to diet for any serious length of time, as people with serious weight problems do, you'll bump into the plateau phase where your body resists any weight loss or it drops to a lb or 2 per month, not per week. That situation can be very difficult to handle, but it's not impossible. Weight loss will continue if you keep going in spite of the metabolic roadblock that the body puts up against further weight loss.

Your advice to see the Dr. is a good one, and for anyone with more than 10-20 lbs to lose, that should be the first step. For people with a lot more weight than that, it is essential. And most reputable Drs would NOT recommend a procedure such as is done at that clinic. The problem with fat burning (they are using injectable enzymes) or cool sculpting (a different but similar technique) is that it creates a lot of circulating breakdown products from the dead fat cells. The fat contents can create what are known as lipid embolisms and the cellular debris create a load on the kidneys. This is NOT without risk to the body and also the wallet. Like liposuction before it, the risks are higher than originally claimed. Eventually the lawsuits catch up.

I took a look at the link, It's a medical spa type clinic, and services are mostly described in French in spite of the English translation. Their prices are not listed, in addition they offer a no money down, "easy" payment plan-- that is more akin to high pressure sales schemes. Another red flag. Nor do they guarantee that a genuine MD is anywhere in sight. Most reputable MD's aren't involved in this sort of stuff and they are much more upfront about costs. In Western Canada, the services this clinic does would start around 5 THOUSAND dollars!

I'll stick with Keto and low carb thanks. Far far safer not to mention cheaper! Not to mention effective!

Last edited:

RobinB

Yeah for me personally I was taking large doses of D3 just to get it to 20. Then my doc told me that 50 or so would be ideal.
The K2 made it skyrocket to some crazy high number. The levels were done by using the LabCorp company who did the analyzing. That was my experience but like you said everybody's different. Honestly the experience scared me because I was concerned that I was D toxic. I haven't checked what the levels are lately since a few years ago.
I take a D-3/K2 combo (from the mercola site).

Cindy S.

This thread, was started by the OP who gave us this request. Your reply is way off base. This is what she asked and it's a very very reasonable request:

This link would help her far more, https://www.dietdoctor.com/the-keto-diet-from-inability-to-walk-to-flying-a-plane

Ok I am a retired RN from here in Western Canada. I've got problems with this advice you gave.

Stop thinking about food. Works if you aren't dieting much, but on a low cal diet, it's all I can think of and most people are the same way. For people with more than 10 lbs to lose, this advice not only won't work, it flies in the face of how your body works to maintain it's weight, even if it's overweight.

Play sports. I have an auto immune disorder plus thyroid problems. There are days when just getting dressed is an accomplishment! The OP has MS, and is in a wheelchair. SPORTS ARE NOT THE SOLUTION for either situation.

Eat so you consume fewer calories than you expend . Well first off, Low CARBING will ensure that without the cravings that go along with low calorie dieting for a lot of us who've tried both systems. So yes, Low Carb and Keto WILL result in net fewer calories, but that isn't the whole reason that those diets help people lose weight-- there is some metabolic science to back that up. For proof read Gary Taubes book Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It. He goes into all the science, all the metabolic research as to why the diets we've been discussing in this thread not only work to lose weight but also to reduce inflammation for those of us with Auto Immune disorders (like MS for instance)

5-8 KILOS??? That is 11 lbs to 17.64 LBS! That is NOT a sustainable weight loss, that is a crash diet. Most dieticians prefer to see the fastest safe weight loss in the 8 to 10 lb per month range or at a moderate rate of 6-8 lbs per month in order to prevent a sudden severe rebound after the diet is over to weight that usually soars well above.

Most people in practice, who lose weight slowly don't rebound as easily after the diet is over. 6-8 lb per month is better and safer in the long run than 8-10. And if you need to diet for any serious length of time, as people with serious weight problems do, you'll bump into the plateau phase where your body resists any weight loss or it drops to a lb or 2 per month, not per week. That situation can be very difficult to handle, but it's not impossible. Weight loss will continue if you keep going in spite of the metabolic roadblock that the body puts up against further weight loss.

Your advice to see the Dr. is a good one, and for anyone with more than 10-20 lbs to lose, that should be the first step. For people with a lot more weight than that, it is essential. And most reputable Drs would NOT recommend a procedure such as is done at that clinic. The problem with fat burning (they are using injectable enzymes) or cool sculpting (a different but similar technique) is that it creates a lot of circulating breakdown products from the dead fat cells. The fat contents can create what are known as lipid embolisms and the cellular debris create a load on the kidneys. This is NOT without risk to the body and also the wallet. Like liposuction before it, the risks are higher than originally claimed. Eventually the lawsuits catch up.

I took a look at the link, It's a medical spa type clinic, and services are mostly described in French in spite of the English translation. Their prices are not listed, in addition they offer a no money down, "easy" payment plan-- that is more akin to high pressure sales schemes. Another red flag. Nor do they guarantee that a genuine MD is anywhere in sight. Most reputable MD's aren't involved in this sort of stuff and they are much more upfront about costs. In Western Canada, the services this clinic does would start around 5 THOUSAND dollars!

I'll stick with Keto and low carb thanks. Far far safer not to mention cheaper! Not to mention effective!
Did God make cake and cookies, he didn't make processed sugar either. I can't eat that poison.

ozaprah

If you have Netflix, watch the documentary, Forks over knives. You'll love it.
I watched it again last night.
Whilst the movie is made with a good degree of passion, be aware that a lot the science they present is far from accurate.
A long summary of the science and it's errors can be found here:
https://deniseminger.com/2011/09/22/forks-over-knives-is-the-science-legit-a-review-and-critique/

Can I suggest another documentary perhaps, also on Netflix.. 'The Magic Pill'. It also features Prof Tim Noakes as mentioned up thread.
The answer to me seems to be a low carb, healthy fat (saturated, monounsaturated, omega 3's), whole food diet.

Whilst I have no problems with someone choosing a solely whole food plant based diet for ethical reasons, the science of 'meat is bad' does not hold up when scrutinized.

For those looking for more science information behind low carb / healthy fat (LCHF) nutrition, check out the YouTube channel 'Low Carb Down Under', and click on the 'vidoes' link.

And to the OP, I would definitely advocate LCHF way of eating... for both weight loss and for inflammation reduction. Getting you Omega 3:6 fat ratio under control is key to inflammation control.

(edit: ooops... realised I just posted in a For the Ladies thread.... sorry! LCHF is a bit of a passion on mine, didn't even look first to check..)

Last edited:

Cindy S.

Whilst the movie is made with a good degree of passion, be aware that a lot the science they present is far from accurate.
A long summary of the science and it's errors can be found here:
https://deniseminger.com/2011/09/22/forks-over-knives-is-the-science-legit-a-review-and-critique/

Can I suggest another documentary perhaps, also on Netflix.. 'The Magic Pill'. It also features Prof Tim Noakes as mentioned up thread.
The answer to me seems to be a low carb, healthy fat (saturated, monounsaturated, omega 3's), whole food diet.

Whilst I have no problems with someone choosing a solely whole food plant based diet for ethical reasons, the science of 'meat is bad' does not hold up when scrutinized.

For those looking for more science information behind low carb / healthy fat (LCHF) nutrition, check out the YouTube channel 'Low Carb Down Under', and click on the 'vidoes' link.

And to the OP, I would definitely advocate LCHF way of eating... for both weight loss and for inflammation reduction. Getting you Omega 3:6 fat ratio under control is key to inflammation control.

(edit: ooops... realised I just posted in a For the Ladies thread.... sorry! LCHF is a bit of a passion on mine, didn't even look first to check..)
I also watched The Magic Pill, it's good too.
I lost 100 lbs on Atkins back in 2000, went off it and gained some weight. I'm back on the wagon with a plan I know works, every time and without running around like a hamster in a wheel.