Diesel related products

DWB

Anyone else hearing anything about a diesel oil related shortage getting ready to hit. I saw several things relating to additives for diesel that cannot be produced and may cause massive shutdowns in transportation in everything from trucks to farm equipment to ships. Hopefully the rumor is just a scare tactic.

Jaybird

I read an article about this on another blog. Evidently diesel is in short supply. As you mentioned it is used almost exclusively by all types of large transportation vehicles. Couple this with the coming food shortage this will be a disaster. I really have the feeling that whoever is pulling the strings on all of this wants the population to go hungry. Hungry people will accept government control more easily. Famine/hyperinflation are one of the horseman of the Apocalypse (the third one). The Rapture may be closer than we think - I hope!!!

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
Anyone else hearing anything about a diesel oil related shortage getting ready to hit. I saw several things relating to additives for diesel that cannot be produced and may cause massive shutdowns in transportation in everything from trucks to farm equipment to ships. Hopefully the rumor is just a scare tactic.
DWB, do you have a source for this? My dh uses diesel in his tractor & he will be concerned not only for our farm, but for all the others, plus OTR drivers. Food supply will be greatly reduced if diesel is indeed in short supply.

Len

there is a shortage of an deisel fuel additive called "AdBlue" here in Australia which is effecting our transport trucking companies (and others).....
Deisel addative running in short supply
Australia is going through another supply chain crisis. Stocks of AdBlue, an exhaust fluid used in newer diesel cars and trucks to reduce pollution, are getting dangerously low.

The culprit is a shortage of synthesised urea, an ingredient which local AdBlue makers import mostly from Russia and China. It has uses from plywood to cosmetics and fertilisers. High demand, particularly from farmers, has led to a global supply shortage.

In July, Chinese urea makers began restricting exports in response to fluctuations in the local market. International prices soared 50% between September and October, but that was not enough to stabilise supply and demand.

For Australia the alarm bells rang loudly last week when the Australian Trucking Association warned AdBlue stocks would run out in February. Some are more pessimistic, saying supplies will be gone by Christmas.

DWB

DWB, do you have a source for this? My dh uses diesel in his tractor & he will be concerned not only for our farm, but for all the others, plus OTR drivers. Food supply will be greatly reduced if diesel is indeed in short supply.
If you do a Google search on diesel exhaust fluid you will get some articles. Without the exhaust fluid the engine won't run?? I read something and then did a search. I'm on my cell now and can't post a link.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
there is a shortage of an deisel fuel additive called "AdBlue" here in Australia which is effecting our transport trucking companies (and others).....
Australia is going through another supply chain crisis. Stocks of AdBlue, an exhaust fluid used in newer diesel cars and trucks to reduce pollution, are getting dangerously low.

The culprit is a shortage of synthesised urea, an ingredient which local AdBlue makers import mostly from Russia and China. It has uses from plywood to cosmetics and fertilisers. High demand, particularly from farmers, has led to a global supply shortage.

In July, Chinese urea makers began restricting exports in response to fluctuations in the local market. International prices soared 50% between September and October, but that was not enough to stabilise supply and demand.

For Australia the alarm bells rang loudly last week when the Australian Trucking Association warned AdBlue stocks would run out in February. Some are more pessimistic, saying supplies will be gone by Christmas.

The requirement to add urea to diesel was the primary reason I didn't get a diesel engine on my latest F-250... I miss having a diesel engine as they're a hundred times better than gassers when under a heavy load, but I'll continue to avoid getting a diesel so long as the urea reqt remains. I wonder what a person would need to do to process their own acceptable urea... I did an interweb search of how to make urea from your urine and came with several web pages that endeavor to explain the process. I guess it's possible if a person wanted to save a few bucks...

Last edited:

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
If you do a Google search on diesel exhaust fluid you will get some articles. Without the exhaust fluid the engine won't run?? I read something and then did a search. I'm on my cell now and can't post a link.

Since it only affects the exhaust stage, surely there's a computer that tells the system not to start the engine unless there is a certain level of urea in the tank. Somebody could probably figure out a way to change the code so that they could run their vehicle without the urea.

Andy C

Since it only affects the exhaust stage, surely there's a computer that tells the system not to start the engine unless there is a certain level of urea in the tank. Somebody could probably figure out a way to change the code so that they could run their vehicle without the urea.
My first 2012 RAM 3500 did not have to have DEF. The law then changed, and my 2019 Ram 3500 required DEF. If the truck runs out of DEF, warnings signal, and the truck speed is reduced to 5 MPH max until DEF is added. I always had an extra 2.5 gallons of DEF in my truck bed storage box, but never allowed the DEF to get anywhere close to empty.

Andy C

The requirement to add urea to diesel was the primary reason I didn't get a diesel engine on my latest F-250... I miss having a diesel engine as they're a hundred times better than gassers when under a heavy load, but I'll continue to avoid getting a diesel so long as the urea reqt remains. I wonder what a person would need to do to process their own acceptable urea... I did an interweb search of how to make urea from your urine and came with several web pages that endeavor to explain the process. I guess it's possible if a person wanted to save a few bucks...
Adding DEF really was not a big deal. For Fuel cost, is does add a little, with the general rule a full size RAM 3500 will burn 1 gallon of DEF per 50 gallons of diesel used.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
I did an interweb search of how to make urea from your urine and came with several web pages that endeavor to explain the process. I guess it's possible if a person wanted to save a few bucks...

Your post got me thinking.... could urine be converted to gas?

Guess what?

https://guardian.ng/news/nigerian-scientist-advances-technology-to-convert-urine-into-gas/

Nigerian scientist advances technology to convert urine into gas​

A Nigeria scientist, Ejikeme P. Nwosu, and his team of researchers have fabricated equipment that converts urine into flammable gases, biomethane and hydrogen-rich gases, with 100 per cent indigenous technological inputs.

Nwosu, a graduate of Pure and Industrial Chemistry from Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (NAU), Anambra State with Masters of Science degree in Organic Chemistry from the University of Ibadan (UI), Oyo State, told The Guardian that a blend of these gases- biomethane and hydrogen-rich gases- can be effectively used to run a gas turbine generator to give the nation over 11,250 megawatts hours of electricity.

Biomethane is a 100 per cent renewable energy source produced by the natural breakdown of organic material: green waste, household waste, agricultural waste, food industry waste and even industrial waste....

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun

It's all happening isn't it, rumoured fuel shortages , energy resources running dangerously low on the east coast , grocery shortages and a foolish prime minister crawling to Macron for a contract that France were way behind and failed to deliver on

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Diesel prices are continuing to climb, even while gas prices have stabilized.

Wonder what's going to happen in the winter . . . will there also be a shortage of the anti-gel additive?

TrustinHim

There is a slightly less than legal "kit " called a DEF delete. Essentially the exhaust filter that burns the DEF is cut off and a dummy piece fitted. Then there is some kind of computer reflash that will not detect any lack of DEF eliminating any shutdown. Supposedly fuel mpg is improved by 10%.

GHoe

Back