Didn't Want To Come Back Here

Rain

After my testimonial thread met with some snags I felt attacked. Although every word of it is true, it took some prayer and much thought in my absence to realize that if I'm going to learn things I must be willing to listen as well as talk.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome back! I personally am so glad you have returned. Any questions asked of you were only attempts to better understand your faith in Christ. People here simply want to help one another grow in the knowledge and grace of God through faith in the Savior, and often that leads to questions. I hope this time you will be able to enjoy the fellowship here. Just know we really do care for each brother and sister in Christ for we are all part of one big family whose father is God. And one day we will all stand before Him and answer for how we treated and helped one another.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
I researched that as it wasn't something I'd heard of presidents doing before. And I learned some interesting things. :)

It's actually more of a historical, cultural practice in that area. Apparently it's not uncommon over the years to have a presidents sign a bible. Leaders signing bibles has been happening since medieval times in fact.

Here's a couple of links to explain. :)

https://ijr.com/trump-signing-bibles-for-tornado-survivors/

...various experts have since pointed out that President Trump is not the president to do this, citing former Presidents Barack Obama, George W. Bush and Ronald Reagan as having done the same in the past. In 1933, President Franklin Roosevelt also signed the Bible used at his inauguration.

“If this was an organized effort where the president was giving out stacks of signed Bibles, that would strike me as odd, to say the least, but from what I can tell the event today wasn’t outside the norm,” Peter Manseau, the Smithsonian’s curator of religion, told The Washington Post. “Presidents seem to sign a lot of random things put in front of them.”

Bill Leonard, the founding dean and professor of divinity emeritus at the Wake Forest University School of Divinity in Winston-Salem, N.C., also spoke out in defense of the president’s actions.

“It would’ve been worse if he had said no because it would’ve seemed unkind, and this was at least one way he could show his concern along with his visit,” said Leonard to Fox News. “In this setting, where tragedy has occurred and where he comes for this brief visit, we need to have some grace about that for these folks.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewgabriele/2019/03/12/medieval-trump-signing-bibles/#3adbf1e865c4

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
I researched that as it wasn't something I'd heard of presidents doing before. And I learned some interesting things. :)

It's actually more of a historical, cultural practice in that area. Apparently it's not uncommon over the years to have a presidents sign a bible. Leaders signing bibles has been happening since medieval times in fact.

Here's a couple of links to explain. :)

https://ijr.com/trump-signing-bibles-for-tornado-survivors/

...various experts have since pointed out that President Trump is not the president to do this, citing former Presidents Barack Obama, George W. Bush and Ronald Reagan as having done the same in the past. In 1933, President Franklin Roosevelt also signed the Bible used at his inauguration.

“If this was an organized effort where the president was giving out stacks of signed Bibles, that would strike me as odd, to say the least, but from what I can tell the event today wasn’t outside the norm,” Peter Manseau, the Smithsonian’s curator of religion, told The Washington Post. “Presidents seem to sign a lot of random things put in front of them.”

Bill Leonard, the founding dean and professor of divinity emeritus at the Wake Forest University School of Divinity in Winston-Salem, N.C., also spoke out in defense of the president’s actions.

“It would’ve been worse if he had said no because it would’ve seemed unkind, and this was at least one way he could show his concern along with his visit,” said Leonard to Fox News. “In this setting, where tragedy has occurred and where he comes for this brief visit, we need to have some grace about that for these folks.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewgabriele/2019/03/12/medieval-trump-signing-bibles/#3adbf1e865c4
Wow, I did not know any of this. I had thought with Rain that President Trump signing Bibles was odd. But it seems it wasn't at all. Who knew? (I mean other than you. :lol )