Did the devil want Jesus crucified?

Dayeton

Did the devil want Jesus crucified?

(Please excuse the formatting of this post - I can't get the bold type off of the bottom half of the essay, It was an MS Word text - and the formatting got all changed on me)

INTRODUCTION

We’ve often heard preaching and even some teaching of how happy the devil was while Jesus was being crucified, I know I have. I’ve often wondered if the devil really rejoiced at the death of our Lord? I also wondered if the devil was and is really that stupid, and easily fooled? Was he really stunned enough to actually think he could defeat Jesus? I’m sure you have heard it said that Jesus beat the devil at his own game, etc, etc…to be truthful, I was never sure just what the “game” was.

In this short essay, I would like to try and answer most of these questions, and try and make some sense of it all by looking at just what the Scripture actually says. We’ll look at the many hints, clues, and prophetic statements scattered throughout Scripture. Then, perhaps, when we read them in their context, we’ll have a better understanding and overview of what actually went on behind the scenes during the crucifixion and appreciate the unity of the Scriptures. After reading this, let us realize just how much “in control” God really is over ALL facets of living.

Let us also realize just how little control the devil actually has, and understand the relationship of our permissive leeway that we let the devil have in our lives, decisions, and just how it affects our lives and our relationships with those around us and our aspirations. We can see how the devil continuously walks a fine tightrope between his will and our will. We see how the devil plays with our wants, dislikes and fears – so long as they play out in a direction away from God. However, all too often those very human emotions the devil manipulates go against even his will because they directly feed us in our aspirations and our wills over and above the devil’s and even God’s. In other words, it all falls into the realm of “self-will” over and above anything of what the devil or God. For instance; consider Daniel 11:14 "Now in those times many shall rise up against the king of the South. Also, violent men of your people shall exalt themselves in fulfillment of the vision, but they shall fall.”.(NKJ) These people thought they knew the Scripture, yet they will fail according to God’s clear statement here in Daniel. Actually, Jesus plainly states that the Scripture CAN NOT BE BROKEN.! John 10:35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; (KJV) It seems very obvious that we, or the devil can inituate changes, but the outcome and the plan of God will still be enacted just as our Lord deemed from the beginning. We also see God causing His will to enact in Rev 17:17 For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled. (KJV) No… I don’t see the devil rejoicing very much over anything, anywhere throughout the whole of history from the rebellion right up until the end of time.

Its like an adult university sophomore playing the game of Chess with a large group of grade school kids. He keeps winning against them until he actually begins to believe he is good… then suddenly he encounters reality – someone his own age and intellect, but he is a master player… As soon as the game starts he looses his key players and the master just plays with him taking piece by piece until the last one is left – all the while the grade school kids are watching… No; the devil believed his own P.R. and picked a fight with God and is now no more than a pawn pretending to be a roaring lion trying to chase us (the grade-school kids) around life as we let him. God IS the MASTER of ALL, and the “sophomore”… check it out in the Greek – the devil is one – a “wise-fool”!!!

However, lets get back to our subject and realize that the foundational trend throughout it all, is that God in His foreknowledge – knows the outcome from the beginning and IS IN CONTROL over all!!!

Unfortunately for our egos and us… the devil can only work his foul play only as we let him. Most of the temptation that we experience is usually spawned from our own desires, wants, and aspirations, as we allow the devil to capitalize on them. In other works… we are the ones that call the shots because as the Scripture states… “resist the devil, and he will flee from you”.So the luxury of blaming the devil is not for us.

In this essay, I’ll try and clarify the devil’s actual role in the crucifixion and maybe we’ll be able to derive his role in our lives and the amount of actual control the devil has over the aspects of our lives. Read on and see….

The devil knows that he is doomed to failure and judgment. He is not dumb by any means. As Grant Jeffrey states in his book; Prince of Darkness... "Satan knows that God plans to redeem the planet from his evil rule including the redemption of His chosen people Israel. The devil can read prophecy in the Bible as well as you." (Page 126). God told him of his coming demise right from the beginning in Gen. 3:15https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/#_edn1. Sadly, we, the people, are often the ones who don't know and are in ignorance concerning the final out come of the plans of God. Let's face it, if satan is so dumb, why is the majority of the world's population lost inspite of the revelation of God to all creation? Rom 1:19-21[ii]. Sadly, it is us who haven't faced up to the reality of our own responsibility to a Holy God that has revealed Himself to mankind, and the authority He has given us. We also haven't realized, just how little control the devil actually has over anything, except that, which we allow him to have. James 4:7[iii] Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.(KJV) We are so easily deceived by the devil that we are warned in Scripture; Mat 24:24[iv] For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. Not to mention many other Scriptures too numerous to include here, but a simple search with a concordance will give ample examples to convince one, that as people, we are easily deceived.

Now here is an interesting Scripture; 1 Tim 2:14[v] And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Here is an example of willful sin that can't be blamed of the devil. Adam knew how Eve was deceived, and instead of calling on God to correct the problem, or rebuke satan, he looked at the prospect of loosing Eve and facing a perceived loneliness of only him and God for ever and ever, or, getting another woman perhaps, not as nice as Eve, or what ever, but in any case, his faith in an all powerful God was at an all time low. So, enticed by his own selfish desires, he chose self over obedience to God. Now, did the devil cause Adam to fall? No! Adam fell with his eyes wide open, and at the same time blind to his own selfishness, brought on by the prospect of loosing Eve and being alone... Gen. 2:18,[vi] Gen.3:17.[vii]

So…, now I ask this question... did the devil want Jesus dead on that cross? I say no, and I'll prove it here;

Firstly; Jesus quite plainly stated that it was for this purpose that He came to the earth. John 12:27, 31[viii]. Jesus came to earth to die, and redeem mankind from sin. In John 10:18[ix], Jesus also plainly states concerning His life and death… "No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father." (NKJ)

Also; Matt 20:28[x] Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.(KJV) He didn't keep it a secret, as we can see here, in Matt.16:21-23[xi] Jesus plainly disclosed His real reason for coming to this earth... From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day. Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee. But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men. (KJV) As we see here, the devil was listening in and was right there using Peter to try and prevent it!

We also see here in Jn.6:63-64, 70-71[xii] where – you might say, He let the “cat out of the bag” when He said in … John 6:63-64[xiii] It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him. (KJV) and in … John 6:70-71[xiv] Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil? He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve.(KJV) We also know that Jesus was not in any way ever taken off-guard, nor by surprise, nor even against His will. Actually, Scripture quite plainly reveals that Jesus was following the Father’s will – His plan established before creation at the beginning of time…Acts 15:18[xv] Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world. (KJV) Eph 3:9-11[xvi] And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God, According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord: (KJV). II Th 2:13[xvii] But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth: (KJV) – step by step – until He could cry out on that cross in victory…”IT IS FINISHED!!!”

Secondly: We read in the book of John 13:3[xviii] Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God; (KJV). There is an interesting commentary in the NASB Study Bible (UpDated Ed)., by Zondervan on: “…the Father had given all things into His hands.” “John again emphasizes the fulfillment of God’s plan and Jesus’ control of the situation.”

When Jesus did go the way of the cross, the devil realized just how helpless he was with regard to the planned purposes of God. The last thing the devil wanted, was to have Jesus killed. The devil wanted to have Jesus discredited, and humiliated but not dead, so that the mission of Jesus would loose its credibility. Thus, if Jesus lost any credibility, He and His followers would just fade away into history. Acts 5:33- 39[a].33When they heard that, they were cut to the heart, and took counsel to slay them. 34Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, had in reputation among all the people, and commanded to put the apostles forth a little space; 35And said unto them, Ye men of Israel, take heed to yourselves what ye intend to do as touching these men. 36For before these days rose up Theudas, boasting himself to be somebody; to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves: who was slain; and all, as many as obeyed him, were scattered, and brought to nought. 37After this man rose up Judas of Galilee in the days of the taxing, and drew away much people after him: he also perished; and all, even as many as obeyed him, were dispersed. 38And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought: 39But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God. If he could discredit Jesus and keep Him alive, living in public humiliation, the purpose of Jesus would have been foiled. Let's face it, a martyr for just about any cause, is enough in the natural realm to start even revolutions. How much more so, when it pertains to the Son of God???

Now, one thing the devil did underestimate along with his own lack of any real power, was the human lack of self-control that came with man's fall. The devil used it so often against people, but he didn't allow for it being used against himself, and, he couldn't control it. We saw it in Ex.10:7[xix] where Pharaoh went beyond his limits of self control, and his advisers plainly told him; "...knowest thou not yet that Egypt is destroyed?" Also in the New Testament we also see once the crowd at the crucifixion scene got going, they were out of control of even the devil, but yet totally within the boundaries of God's plan!!! Even Pilot's wife was used by the devil to try and stop the crucifixion, Mt.27:19 - 20[xx], When he was set down on the judgment seat, his wife sent unto him, saying, Have thou nothing to do with that just man: for I have suffered many things this day in a dream because of him. But the chief priests and elders persuaded the multitude that they should ask Barabbas, and destroy Jesus.(KJV)… but by then, things were too far gone, even the chief priests and the elders were past the point of no return. The devil had lost control of the situation!!! Once the process was started, there was no turning back the crowd. This spirit that talked to Pilot's wife came from the devil because God would not have gone against His own mandate. There is an example in the Old Testament to bear this out...

In 2Chr.18:19-22[xxi] a lying spirit is in the mouths of all the prophets. IKing 22:22-23[xxii] And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so. Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning thee.(KJV) Can a lying spirit (singular) be everywhere? Can a singular spirit have the same omnipotent attributes as the Holy Spirit? No, this spirit jumped from person to person with the same lie just as Zekiah said, but of the wrong spirit; "Then Zedekiah the son of Chenaanah came near, and smote Micaiah upon the cheek, and said, Which way went the Spirit of the LORD from me to speak unto thee?" The Holy Spirit cannot lie. However, unknowingly he was actually talking about the lying spirit of demons, thus revealing his ignorance of the spiritual. Also, is satan's kingdom divided against its self? Not only is it divided against itself, but it is in chaos, however we see the other prophets following the lead set by the lying spirit, to not only unknowingly accomplish God's will as is in this case... to kill Ahab, but to farther their own personal agendas in the eyes of their king - Ahab.

In Matt 12:25[xxiii] And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand: Here we find that satan's kingdom is divided against itself and it isn't standing but falling! For what did Jesus say to Peter? Matt 16:18[xxiv] And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. What Jesus is saying here is that the very gates can't keep out the praying Christian from snatching the fallen from out of the fire! Jude 1:23[xxv] And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh. Through where? The gates of hell which cannot prevail! No, satan's kingdom is in shambles, his only power is that of deception, lies, and sadly, that what we give him. We as Christians can go to the very gates of Hell and snatch souls out of the fire... I wonder if this actually doesn't describe those near-death experiences where the person is in Hell burning, and they call upon the Lord, and they are resuscitated? Could that be what the Lord meant?

Now backing up to Mt.16:21-2[xxvi], in the text, Jesus plainly inferred that He was talking to Peter, but when Peter rebuked Jesus from His coming death, Jesus again plainly inferred that He was rebuking satan when He said to Peter; "Get thee behind Me...!" In Mt.2:13-18[xxvii], we see the angel warning Joseph in a dream; "Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him." Can it be stated any plainer that Herod is trying to kill Jesus? Conversely, we read in Lk.22:31-32[xxviii], "And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:" where Jesus plainly states that satan is behind the action against Peter. Similarly, Jesus in Jn.13:27[xxix], satan is plainly shown in the text that he was working with Judas in the betrayal of Jesus, but as far as they were concerned, Judas was to profit with money, and satan was to profit by having Jesus discredited.

So, what does all this have to do with Jesus being crucified? Let us continue by considering this by points for clarity...

#1/ When Jesus was born, there was an attempt at killing Jesus that was set in motion. The event of Christ's birth was a well publicized event. Even the wise men knew about it and they were hundreds of miles away. The shepherds knew of it from the angelic chorus and went to visit. There was so much advertisement of the blessed event that "all of Jerusalem was troubled." Mt.2:1-3,[xxx] Lk.2:17-20[xxxi], people knew that something of significance was in the making. So with all this happening, Heriod knew and he tried to kill the baby Jesus out of his own selfish ambition. There is nothing in the text to implicate the devil here in the attempt to kill Jesus. If the devil was trying to kill Jesus, he wouldn't be bound by the Egyptian border... he would have used someone in Egypt to make an attempt on Jesus' life... that is, if the devil was actually trying to kill Jesus....

God even foretold how He would send His Son into Egypt for safety, then He would bring Him back to Nazareth. The devil was there when the prophecy was written, he knew all about Jesus' birth and His flight into Egypt, and even through out all of this the devil was totally helpless to interfere anyway. If anything, the devil would have tried to prevent the birth of Jesus, but now that He was born and safely out of Heriod's reach, all he could try now, was to mess up His mission. Now, the only way for the devil to ruin Jesus' mission was at the temptation in the wilderness. If the devil could somehow discredit Jesus then, then Jesus' mission would be failed before it even started. However, we can see how God can change the course of history by looking at Paul in Acts 16:7-10[xxxii] After they were come to Mysia, they assayed to go into Bithynia: but the Spirit suffered them not0 And they passing by Mysia came down to Troas. And a vision appeared to Paul in the night; There stood a man of Macedonia, and prayed him, saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us. And after he had seen the vision, immediately we endeavoured to go into Macedonia, assuredly gathering that the Lord had called us for to preach the gospel unto them. Not to mention the Damascus, experience in Acts 9[xxxiii]. So we can see just how limited satan really is... all he can do is influence people's actions as they are willing to be influenced by him.

Now the devil is here to kill, destroy, and devour humanity in the only way he can in his effort to get at God. All he has to do with people is to keep people from being saved. That's all! To accomplish that goal, all satan has to do, is by planting seeds of jealousy between everyone. Thus, any perceived threat of competition will be an issue of strife which in turn feeds the sense of power to the victor, boosting the ego and intensifying the selfish ambition. To people in this type of disposition... God doesn't exist, except to curse their enemy, as with Balaam in Numbers 22:6[xxxiv], and he could only go as far a God let him! So, when Jesus was being tempted by the devil, in Mt.4:5-7[xxxv], why didn't the devil just push Jesus off the precipice to His death, or at least try? Well, the devil couldn't!

Heriod was an paranoid egotistical king the devil just loved him that way. He had delusions of grandeur, power, selfish ambitions, and enough insecurity to keep himself actively on top of everything. But as far as Heriod was concerned the devil by this time in his life was just incidental. Heriod was his own boss. The attempt on Jesus' life as an infant was spawned from Heriod's own volition an automatic reaction from satan's training in the beginning. So, just as Balak tried to use Balaam to curse the children of Israel, Heriod tried to use the wisemen to locate the baby Jesus, but God's will prevailed.

#2/ All along throughout history, satan was corrupting the priesthood by instilling pride, jealousy, and the hunger for power into the high priests, John 8:33[xxxvi] They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free? (KJV) The words were boldface lies even as they left the speakers' lips because they were uttered while they were in captivity by the Romans. The Scribes and Pharisees were so intent on opposing Jesus that they openly made fools of them selves. The same lying spirit that has been influencing the people has a stronghold now that they couldn't themselves. Satan could change his strategy, on a whim, but the people couldn't. Once envy set in, even satan couldn't satisfy them, they wanted blood... the Blood of Jesus!

It's interesting to note here, that in Mt.2:1-12[xxxvii], the star over Bethlehem was recognized as a significant sign concerning prophecy. Yet, it seems that the generation of Scribes, Pharisees, and priests in Jesus' day forgot it all, or were they really ignoring it all? However, Pilate saw the threat to himself and his king-ship, and later he also saw it when he realized that it was "for envy" Mt.27:18[xxxviii]. For he knew that for envy they had delivered him. to be killed. There was no direct devil-influence here... just plain unregenerate human nature gone wild.

#3/ Perhaps Judas while working out his own agenda of devising ways of commercializing on Jesus' miracles, expected to betray Jesus, then Jesus could perform a miracle in escaping and everything would be OK with him being richer. Or when Judas and the others were critical of the woman's waste of costly oil on Jesus - saying that the money could have been better spent on the poor, and they were rebuked, in a seemingly public fashion Judas became revengeful. So basic human emotion took over, regardless of the devil's plans... Judas wanted to get back at Jesus for making a fool of him, and he would go to any lengths to do it. Unknowingly, Judas didn't realize the magnitude of his actions, nor God's plan for Jesus. Neither he nor satan perceived that God's timing was nigh, for even in Mt.26:21-25,[xxxix] Judas still didn't realize that the betrayal would really go through. Also, it seems that Judas had more perception of the power of Jesus over that of the other disciples, but he had no perception of just Who Jesus is. All was in God's control, just as Jesus told Pilate, Jn.19:11[xl] Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: but the time for the sacrifice of The Son was due... M.Tenney - John, The Gospel of Belief; Eerdmans p.254-255. Then, when Jesus didn't escape, he realized that Jesus was really going to die, he being full of remorse, hung himself, even the devil tried to prevent Jesus' crucifixion by using his power in giving Pilot's wife a dream Mt.27:19[xli] When he was set down on the judgment seat, his wife sent unto him, saying, Have thou nothing to do with that just man: for I have suffered many things this day in a dream because of him., but the people were past the devil's control. As in Jer 32:35[xlii]., "... which I did not command them, nor did it come into My mind that they should do this abomination, to cause Judah to sin."' (NKJ) Now we can plainly see, as in numerous other Scriptures, that the people just about always over did, that which God plainly tells them. Is it any different for the devil?

However, conversely, to Pilot's wife before the betrayal, God did use Caiaphas in Jn.11:45-54[xliii] in prophecy to set the course of events; And one of them, named Caiaphas, being the high priest that same year, said unto them, Ye know nothing at all, Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not. And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation; but also notice that God used their own self ambitions to fulfill His Will, just as the devil tried and failed in everything that he did. So here we can see that Caiaphas, and his cohorts were working for their own agendas, doing God's will against satan's will. There is no way the devil could have possibly won! You've heard of fighting fire against fire, well here we see God using sin against sin!

Also, in Revelations 17: 16[xliv] And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the whore, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire., we have another situation where the devil starts something that he can't control, because he can't fully control people to perform a specific accomplishment, but only to a general end away from God, but then, even that isn't accomplished, because of unregenerate human nature gone wild, the Christians' prayers for the lost and God's control over all. So, in all we've just read... we have seen that satan's kingdom is in a state and is in shambles.

#4/ The moment Jesus died, the devil knew that it was too late for anything else... he realized then that his defeat was total so he gave up for, (he had his hands full in hell then). So with his influence momentarily gone the eyes of the centurion were opened... and in Luke 23:46-47[xlv] And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost. Now when the centurion saw what was done, he glorified God, saying, Certainly this was a righteous man. (KJV)

Now, going back to the garden... even in the garden during our Lord's prayer. Jesus' spoken words being as obvious as they were, and the devil perhaps standing right there along side, trying to make Jesus' death as horrible as possible. Even to the point that an angel had to strengthen Jesus... and even then, Jesus sweat drops of blood from the magnitude of the strain... and satan was totally helpless even though he knew what was to happen next. Then finally, when the soldiers came, even they had no power to confront Jesus. As soon as Jesus identified Himself, they all fell to the ground! Mt.26:47-56[xlvi], Mk.14:43-52[xlvii], Lk.22:47-53[xlviii], Jn.18:1-11[xlix]. So, if indeed the devil was actually trying to kill Jesus, this whole incident in the garden would be one great big farce! At that time Peter tried to help the Lord but Jesus plainly stated again His mission to humanity. John 18:11 Then Jesus said to Peter, "Put your sword into the sheath. Shall I not drink the cup which My Father has given Me?" (NKJ) Personally, I find it amusing and very difficult to take it serriously when I hear anyone say that the devil was gleefully rejoicing our Lord’s “capture”, when even the mightiest soldiers in the known world couldn’t complete the simple arrest of Jesus until He allowed them to proceed! No! God's plan was being executed, and satan... was totally helpless to interfere, had to helplessly watch as his future fate was being sealed right before his eyes! Praise God!!!

In Matthew, we read when Jesus came to Gergesenes and cast out the demons, just how helpless satan and his demons are. Here, they thought that God decided to change the schedule and torment the demons before their time (Jude 1:6[l], James 2:19[li], 2Pet.2:4[lii]), Matthew 8:29[liii]… And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time? We can plainly see that not only satan knew of his ultimate demise, but even the demons knew their impending fate as well as we read in other Scriptures:

James 2:19[liv] Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

2 Pet 2:4[lv] For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;)

Jude 1:6 [lvi] And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

Also, the demons (working under satan’s control) tried to interfere by reveling who Jesus was to the world, and before His time by shouting out His name and identity so that it would have been the demon’s proclamation and not the Holy Spirit’s. Mt.16:13–17[lvii], Acts 16:16-18[lviii]. That in itself would have helped satan’s purpose to discredit Jesus’ ministry to some degree. The demons also knew about their own day of recognition at the Day of Judgment. Mt.8:29[lix], Job.21:30[lx], Dan.7:9-28[lxi]. John recorded Jesus when He said; “..My time is not yet…” Jn.7:2-6[lxii]. Consider these Scriptures here... Is.7:11[lxiii], Mt.16:1-3[lxiv].

Also, we find that it wasn't satan who wanted Jesus martyred. It was the religious leaders of the day that wanted Jesus dead. Unfortunately for satan, he did do a good job of blinding the people. 1 Cor.2:8[lxv] Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. Also, Peter placed the blame squarely on those of whom it should go; Acts 2:22-24[lxvi] Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know: Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it. Again, we plainly see that Jesus' death was foreordained, and totally out of satan's influence... much less control. Jn.18:11[lxvii]. The people were responsible for Jesus' death - not satan. Acts 3:13-15[lxviii]... The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go. But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you; And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.

Acts 4:27-28[lxix], For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together, For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done. We don't see the disciples praying for protection from anything satan has, or is doing, but that which concerns people, but stunningly acclaiming the foreknowledge of God in the prophecy Ps.2:1-9[lxx]. No… nothing there for the devil to rejoice about at all! Even the disciples recognized then – just Who was in control, although, while the drama was being played out throughout the events leading up to and throughout the crucifixion, then the resurrection they were blind to the actual goings-on behind the scenes in the spiritual realms…

So, all satan could try and do, was to discredit Jesus and His ministry. The martyrdom of Jesus was the last thing he wanted, much less could do. After all, wasn't the devil there in the wilderness when Moses lifted the serpent? Wasn't he also there when God prophesied the bruising of the heal of Adam's descendant, and the crushing of satan's head? Was he not there, too when David wrote Ps.2.?

#5/ Now, one more thing should be noted here; Jesus is life. I first heard this from Benny Hinn on TBN, and it made much sense, and filled it a lot of gaps. This is a very brief outline of what he said; When ever Jesus mentioned giving of anything, He would say, "... of Me", never "...take from Me". This is because, Jesus IS ALL! If He were to say "...take from Me" it would mean that Jesus has life, but is not "the life". In Jn.14:6[lxxi]. Jesus IS the truth, the life and the way... Now, if Jesus were to destroy Satan, He would have to destroy a part of Himself. (What sustained creation while Jesus was dead on the cross? – The Father and the Holy Spirit!) Jesus came to destroy the WORKS of the devil 1 John 3:8[lxxii] He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Now we can plainly see why satan does NOT want Jesus dead, because if Jesus were to die, all of creation would fade out of existence. Col.1:16-17[lxxiii] For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. . Let's face it, the devil isn't stupid nor is he in ignorance. Ezek 28:3-5[lxxiv] Behold, thou art wiser than Daniel; there is no secret that they can hide from thee: With thy wisdom and with thine understanding thou hast gotten thee riches, and hast gotten gold and silver into thy treasures: By thy great wisdom and by thy traffick hast thou increased thy riches, and thine heart is lifted up because of thy riches:(KJV)

He is compared with Daniel, he knows the Word well enough to quote it and pervert it, and he also knows his rights well enough to keep trying for more. Job.1:7-12[lxxv], & 2:1-7[lxxvi]. The devil is wicked and evil, and that is his way. He loves to torture, kill, destroy, because it's his way and also it's the only way he can get at God. That is, through man's free will in going against God.

Now for a final example of just how much, or should I say of how little control the devil actually has, we examine; Rev 20:7-10[lxxvii] And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea. And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them. And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

However, in the case of Jesus, he was, is, and always will be totally at the mercy of God, regardless of man's free will or anyone else's. No matter what the devil could or would do... he was playing into the hands of God, and he knew it!!! Praise God!!! In this situation, it wasn't knowledge, ignorance, or anything else... it was, and is the total control of God over not only the devil but over mankind, and over past, present and future events. GOD IS IN CONTROL!!! AMEN. Isn't it good to be serving a God Who is all powerful?

[a] Acts 5:33 –39. 33When they heard that, they were cut to the heart, and took counsel to slay them. 34Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, had in reputation among all the people, and commanded to put the apostles forth a little space; 35And said unto them, Ye men of Israel, take heed to yourselves what ye intend to do as touching these men. 36For before these days rose up Theudas, boasting himself to be somebody; to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves: who was slain; and all, as many as obeyed him, were scattered, and brought to nought. 37After this man rose up Judas of Galilee in the days of the taxing, and drew away much people after him: he also perished; and all, even as many as obeyed him, were dispersed. 38And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought: 39But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God. [a]

Gen. 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

The King James Version, (Cambridge: Cambridge) 1769.

[ii] Ro. 1:19-2119Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. 20For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: 21Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

[iii] James 4:7 7Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

[iv] Mat 24:24 24For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

[v] 1 Tim 2:14 14And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

[vi] Gen. 2:18, 18And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

[vii] Gen.3:17 17And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

[viii] John 12:27, 31 27Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour. 31Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.

[ix] John 10:18 18No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

[x] Matt 20:28 28Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

[xi] Matt.16:21-23 21From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day. 22Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee. 23But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

[xii] Jn.6:63-64, 70-71 63It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. 64But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him. 70Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil? 71 He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve.

[xiii] John 6:63-64 63It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. 64But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.

[xiv] John 6:70-71 70Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil? 71 He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve.

[xv] Acts 15:18 18Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.

[xvi] Eph 3:9-11 9And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: 10To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God, 11According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:

[xvii] II Th 2:13 13But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

[xviii] John 13:3 3Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God;

[xviii]1 Acts 5:33 –39. 33When they heard that, they were cut to the heart, and took counsel to slay them. 34Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, had in reputation among all the people, and commanded to put the apostles forth a little space; 35And said unto them, Ye men of Israel, take heed to yourselves what ye intend to do as touching these men. 36For before these days rose up Theudas, boasting himself to be somebody; to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves: who was slain; and all, as many as obeyed him, were scattered, and brought to nought. 37After this man rose up Judas of Galilee in the days of the taxing, and drew away much people after him: he also perished; and all, even as many as obeyed him, were dispersed. 38And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought: 39But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God. [xviii]

[xix] Ex.10:7 7And Pharaoh’s servants said unto him, How long shall this man be a snare unto us? let the men go, that they may serve the LORD their God: knowest thou not yet that Egypt is destroyed?

[xx] Mt.27:19 – 20 19When he was set down on the judgment seat, his wife sent unto him, saying, Have thou nothing to do with that just man: for I have suffered many things this day in a dream because of him. 20But the chief priests and elders persuaded the multitude that they should ask Barabbas, and destroy Jesus.

[xxi] 2Chr.18:19-22 19And the LORD said, Who shall entice Ahab king of Israel, that he may go up and fall at Ramothgilead? And one spake saying after this manner, and another saying after that manner. 20Then there came out a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will entice him. And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? 21And he said, I will go out, and be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And the LORD said, Thou shalt entice him, and thou shalt also prevail: go out, and do even so. 22Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil against thee.

[xxii] IKing 22:22-23 19And the LORD said, Who shall entice Ahab king of Israel, that he may go up and fall at Ramothgilead? And one spake saying after this manner, and another saying after that manner. 20Then there came out a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will entice him. And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? 21And he said, I will go out, and be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And the LORD said, Thou shalt entice him, and thou shalt also prevail: go out, and do even so. 22Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil against thee. 23Then Zedekiah the son of Chenaanah came near, and smote Micaiah upon the cheek, and said, Which way went the Spirit of the LORD from me to speak unto thee?

[xxiii] Matt 12:25 25And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:

[xxiv] Matt 16:18 18And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

[xxv] Jude 1:23 23And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

[xxvi] Mt.16:21-2 21From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.

[xxvii] Mt.2:13-18 13And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him.

[xxviii] Lk.22:31-32 31And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: 32But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

[xxix] Jn.13:27 27And after the sop Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly.

[xxx] Mt.2:1-3, 1Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, 2Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him. 3When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.

[xxxi] Lk.2:17-20 17And when they had seen it, they made known abroad the saying which was told them concerning this child.

[xxxii] Acts 16:7-10 7After they were come to Mysia, they assayed to go into Bithynia: but the Spirit suffered them not. 8And they passing by Mysia came down to Troas. 9And a vision appeared to Paul in the night; There stood a man of Macedonia, and prayed him, saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us. 10And after he had seen the vision, immediately we endeavored to go into Macedonia, assuredly gathering that the Lord had called us for to preach the gospel unto them.

[xxxiii] Acts 9 1And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest, 2And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem. 3And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven: 4And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? 5And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. 6And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do. 7And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man. 8And Saul arose from the earth; and when his eyes were opened, he saw no man: but they led him by the hand, and brought him into Damascus. 9And he was three days without sight, and neither did eat nor drink.

10And there was a certain disciple at Damascus, named Ananias; and to him said the Lord in a vision, Ananias. And he said, Behold, I am here, Lord. 11And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the street which is called Straight, and enquire in the house of Judas for one called Saul, of Tarsus: for, behold, he prayeth, 12And hath seen in a vision a man named Ananias coming in, and putting his hand on him, that he might receive his sight. 13Then Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem: 14And here he hath authority from the chief priests to bind all that call on thy name. 15But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel: 16For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name’s sake.

[xxxiv] Numbers 22:6 6Come now therefore, I pray thee, curse me this people; for they are too mighty for me: peradventure I shall prevail, that we may smite them, and that I may drive them out of the land: for I wot that he whom thou blessest is blessed, and he whom thou cursest is cursed.

[xxxv] Mt.4:5-7 5Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,

[xxxvi] John 8:33 33They answered him, We be Abraham’s seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?

[xxxvii] Mt.2:1-12 1Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, 2Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him. 3When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him. 4And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born. 5And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet, 6And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel. 7Then Herod, when he had privily called the wise men, enquired of them diligently what time the star appeared. 8And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go and search diligently for the young child; and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship him also.

9When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was. 10When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy. 11And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh. 12And being warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way.

[xxxviii] Mt.27:18 18For he knew that for envy they had delivered him.

[xxxix] Mt.26:21-25, 21And as they did eat, he said, Verily I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me. 22And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I? 23And he answered and said, He that dippeth his hand with me in the dish, the same shall betray me. 24 The Son of man goeth as it is written of him: but woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he had not been born. 25Then Judas, which betrayed him, answered and said, Master, is it I? He said unto him, Thou hast said.

[xl] Jn.19:11 11Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.

[xli] Mt.27:19 19When he was set down on the judgment seat, his wife sent unto him, saying, Have thou nothing to do with that just man: for I have suffered many things this day in a dream because of him.

[xlii] Jer 32:35 35And they built the high places of Baal, which are in the valley of the son of Hinnom, to cause their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire unto Molech; which I commanded them not, neither came it into my mind, that they should do this abomination, to cause Judah to sin.

[xliii] Jn.11:45-54 45Then many of the Jews which came to Mary, and had seen the things which Jesus did, believed on him. 46But some of them went their ways to the Pharisees, and told them what things Jesus had done. 47Then gathered the chief priests and the Pharisees a council, and said, What do we? for this man doeth many miracles. 48If we let him thus alone, all men will believe on him: and the Romans shall come and take away both our place and nation. 49And one of them, named Caiaphas, being the high priest that same year, said unto them, Ye know nothing at all, 50Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not. 51And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation; 52And not for that nation only, but that also he should gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad. 53Then from that day forth they took counsel together for to put him to death. 54Jesus therefore walked no more openly among the Jews; but went thence unto a country near to the wilderness, into a city called Ephraim, and there continued with his disciples.

[xliv] Revelations 17: 16 16And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the whore, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire.

[xlv] Luke 23:46-47 46And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost. 47Now when the centurion saw what was done, he glorified God, saying, Certainly this was a righteous man.

[xlvi] Mt.26:47-56 47And while he yet spake, lo, Judas, one of the twelve, came, and with him a great multitude with swords and staves, from the chief priests and elders of the people. 48Now he that betrayed him gave them a sign, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he: hold him fast. 49And forthwith he came to Jesus, and said, Hail, master; and kissed him. 50And Jesus said unto him, Friend, wherefore art thou come? Then came they, and laid hands on Jesus, and took him. 51And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priest’s, and smote off his ear. 52Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword. 53 Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels? 54But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be? 55In that same hour said Jesus to the multitudes, Are ye come out as against a thief with swords and staves for to take me? I sat daily with you teaching in the temple, and ye laid no hold on me. 56But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.

[xlvii] Mk.14:43-52 43And immediately, while he yet spake, cometh Judas, one of the twelve, and with him a great multitude with swords and staves, from the chief priests and the scribes and the elders. 44And he that betrayed him had given them a token, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he; take him, and lead him away safely. 45And as soon as he was come, he goeth straightway to him, and saith, Master, master; and kissed him. 46And they laid their hands on him, and took him. 47And one of them that stood by drew a sword, and smote a servant of the high priest, and cut off his ear. 48And Jesus answered and said unto them, Are ye come out, as against a thief, with swords and with staves to take me? 49I was daily with you in the temple teaching, and ye took me not: but the scriptures must be fulfilled. 50And they all forsook him, and fled. 51And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; and the young men laid hold on him: 52And he left the linen cloth, and fled from them naked.

[xlviii] Lk.22:47-53 47And while he yet spake, behold a multitude, and he that was called Judas, one of the twelve, went before them, and drew near unto Jesus to kiss him. 48But Jesus said unto him, Judas, betrayest thou the Son of man with a kiss? 49When they which were about him saw what would follow, they said unto him, Lord, shall we smite with the sword? 50And one of them smote the servant of the high priest, and cut off his right ear. 51And Jesus answered and said, Suffer ye thus far. And he touched his ear, and healed him. 52Then Jesus said unto the chief priests, and captains of the temple, and the elders, which were come to him, Be ye come out, as against a thief, with swords and staves? 53When I was daily with you in the temple, ye stretched forth no hands against me: but this is your hour, and the power of darkness.

[xlix] Jn.18:1-11 1When Jesus had spoken these words, he went forth with his disciples over the brook Cedron, where was a garden, into the which he entered, and his disciples. 2And Judas also, which betrayed him, knew the place: for Jesus ofttimes resorted thither with his disciples. 3Judas then, having received a band of men and officers from the chief priests and Pharisees, cometh thither with lanterns and torches and weapons. 4Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye? 5They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them. 6As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground. 7Then asked he them again, Whom seek ye? And they said, Jesus of Nazareth. 8Jesus answered, I have told you that I am he: if therefore ye seek me, let these go their way: 9That the saying might be fulfilled, which he spake, Of them which thou gavest me have I lost none. 10Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest’s servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant’s name was Malchus. 11Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?

[l] Jude 1:6 6And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

[li] James 2:19 19Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

[lii] 2Pet.2:4 4For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

[liii] Matthew 8:29 . 29And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?

[liv] James 2:19 19Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

[lv] 2 Pet 2:4 4For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

[lvi] Jude 1:6 6And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

[lvii] Mt.16:13–17 13When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? 14And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. 15He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 16And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 17And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

[lviii] Acts 16:16-18 16And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying: 17The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation. 18And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour.

[lix] Mt.8:29 29And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?

[lx] Job.21:30 30That the wicked is reserved to the day of destruction? they shall be brought forth to the day of wrath.

[lxi] Dan.7:9-28 9I beheld till the thrones were cast down, and the Ancient of days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool: his throne was like the fiery flame, and his wheels as burning fire. 10A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened. 11I beheld then because of the voice of the great words which the horn spake: I beheld even till the beast was slain, and his body destroyed, and given to the burning flame. 12As concerning the rest of the beasts, they had their dominion taken away: yet their lives were prolonged for a season and time. 13I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him. 14And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.

15I Daniel was grieved in my spirit in the midst of my body, and the visions of my head troubled me. 16I came near unto one of them that stood by, and asked him the truth of all this. So he told me, and made me know the interpretation of the things. 17These great beasts, which are four, are four kings, which shall arise out of the earth. 18But the saints of the most High shall take the kingdom, and possess the kingdom for ever, even for ever and ever. 19Then I would know the truth of the fourth beast, which was diverse from all the others, exceeding dreadful, whose teeth were of iron, and his nails of brass; which devoured, brake in pieces, and stamped the residue with his feet; 20And of the ten horns that were in his head, and of the other which came up, and before whom three fell; even of that horn that had eyes, and a mouth that spake very great things, whose look was more stout than his fellows. 21I beheld, and the same horn made war with the saints, and prevailed against them; 22Until the Ancient of days came, and judgment was given to the saints of the most High; and the time came that the saints possessed the kingdom. 23Thus he said, The fourth beast shall be the fourth kingdom upon earth, which shall be diverse from all kingdoms, and shall devour the whole earth, and shall tread it down, and break it in pieces. 24And the ten horns out of this kingdom are ten kings that shall arise: and another shall rise after them; and he shall be diverse from the first, and he shall subdue three kings. 25And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time. 26But the judgment shall sit, and they shall take away his dominion, to consume and to destroy it unto the end. 27And the kingdom and dominion, and the greatness of the kingdom under the whole heaven, shall be given to the people of the saints of the most High, whose kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and all dominions shall serve and obey him. 28Hitherto is the end of the matter. As for me Daniel, my cogitations much troubled me, and my countenance changed in me: but I kept the matter in my heart.

[lxii] Jn.7:2-6 2Now the Jews’ feast of tabernacles was at hand. 3His brethren therefore said unto him, Depart hence, and go into Judaea, that thy disciples also may see the works that thou doest. 4For there is no man that doeth any thing in secret, and he himself seeketh to be known openly. If thou do these things, shew thyself to the world. 5For neither did his brethren believe in him. 6Then Jesus said unto them, My time is not yet come: but your time is alway ready.

[lxiii] Is.7:11 11Ask thee a sign of the LORD thy God; ask it either in the depth, or in the height above.

[lxiv] Mt.16:1-3 1The Pharisees also with the Sadducees came, and tempting desired him that he would shew them a sign from heaven. 2 He answered and said unto them, When it is evening, ye say, It will be fair weather: for the sky is red. 3And in the morning, It will be foul weather to day: for the sky is red and lowring. O ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not discern the signs of the times?

[lxv] 1 Cor.2:8 8Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

[lxvi] Acts 2:22-24 22Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know: 23Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: 24Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

[lxvii] Jn.18:11 11Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?

[lxviii] Acts 3:13-15 13The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go. 14But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you; 15And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.

[lxix] Acts 4:27-28 27For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together, 28For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done.

[lxx]

Ps 2:1-9 Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying, Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us. He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision. Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure. Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion. I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee. Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession. Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.

(KJV)

[lxxi] Jn.14:6 6Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

[lxxii] 1 John 3:8 8He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

[lxxiii] Col.1:16-17 16For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: 17And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

[lxxiv] Ezek 28:3-5 3Behold, thou art wiser than Daniel; there is no secret that they can hide from thee: 4With thy wisdom and with thine understanding thou hast gotten thee riches, and hast gotten gold and silver into thy treasures: 5By thy great wisdom and by thy traffick hast thou increased thy riches, and thine heart is lifted up because of thy riches:

[lxxv] Job.1:7-12 7And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it. 8And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? 9Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought? 10Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land. 11But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face. 12And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.

[lxxvi] Job. 2:1-7 1Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD. 2And the LORD said unto Satan, From whence comest thou? And Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it. 3And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause. 4And Satan answered the LORD, and said, Skin for skin, yea, all that a man hath will he give for his life. 5But put forth thine hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face. 6And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, he is in thine hand; but save his life. 7So went Satan forth from the presence of the LORD, and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot unto his crown.

[lxxvii] Rev 20:7-10 7And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, 8And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea. 9And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them. 10And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

[lxxviii] Eph.1:4 4According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

[lxxix] 1Pet.1:20 20Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,

[lxxx] Rev.13:8 8And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

The devil is after having a thousand years of thinking over events, and mauling over plans of action, but none is to be of effect. The future of satan and the human race has been already decided from the beginning of time itself! The plan of the ages was established from the foundation of the world; Eph.1:4[lxxviii], 1Pet.1:20[lxxix], and Rev.13:8[lxxx]. He cannot escape it! He knows exactly what will happen to him next, that is… to be released, go out and gather those of his own (those he can deceive) out of the earth, attack the camp of the saints, and then be consumed. There is nothing else he can do, he knows his end and he also knows that Scripture cannot be broken! He's after reading it through our eyes, as well as his own!

Like Reply
Select for moderation Report Edit Delete Spam IP Warn

Last edited by a moderator:

JDP

Agreed - the last thing Satan wanted was for Jesus to be crucified for us. That's why he tried to have Him killed as a baby, and tempted Him in the wilderness. It seems as though Satan tormented Jesus constantly, often through other people (see the rebuke of Peter, for instance, when he told Jesus that certainly He wouldn't die - "Get behind me, Satan!"). Satan knew everything would change when Jesus sacrificed Himself and what the end will be. Satan is the great deceiver, and perhaps his greatest weakness is that he still deceives himself and believes his own lies. Amazing, isn't it?

yrrek

I always thought that maybe Satan believed the way the Pharisees did. So if he could kill Jesus before fulfilling the whole prophecy then man wouldn’t be saved. But idk.

Dayeton

"Um, Jesus DID die. And creation did not fade out of existence. "...... yes Jesus did indeed die in the flesh, however His Spirit was/is still very much alive.. Also what comes to mind when Jesus cried out "My God why have You forsaken me?" ~ at that moment this Scripture in Psalms comes to mind: Psa 30:5 For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning. (ESV). So creation was always in "Good Hands" ~ not to worry.

chaser

My God why have You forsaken me?" ~ at that moment this Scripture in Psalms comes to mind: Psa 30:5
For me what scripture come to mind is Mathew 27:50, because all the sins of mankind were placed upon Jesus, the lamb, slain for all of us, separating him from the Father, that is why he cried out, "why have you forsaken me" all done to pay our sin debt(s)

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
There is also another view of those words of Jesus on the Cross. He saw His disciples were in confusion and fear, his mother in pain and agony of heart. But He knew that what was happening HAD to happen and, indeed, was God's entire plan. He knew that on the Cross He would finish the Father's work, that He, Himself, would raise from the dead for the grave could never hold Him. He also knew that He had inspired a Psalm to be written 1000 years before, in which everything that was happening to Him was forewritten—including the description of a crucifixion to people who, a millennium before, had no idea what a crucifixion was. With what little breath He had, He was trying to comfort them all by pointing them to the Psalm, that his suffering was all foretold, and that they could hold to the sure and eternal victory its latter verses described. Back then a Psalm was usually referred to by its first line, not by a number ( if I recall correctly, there were at least three different numbering schemes for Psalms at the time). So Christ quoted its first line to point them to it, so their hearts would be at rest. But, slow to understand as they always were, they did not get it. At least, not at that time.