Did Joseph of Arimathea Know?

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus were followers of Jesus, though they had to keep that a bit secret due to their positions.

At one point in John 7:52, after Nicodemus had tried to persuade some religious leaders to listen to what Jesus had to say, the response was: “You are not also from Galilee, are you? Search, and see that no prophet arises out of Galilee.”

Did Joseph and Nicodemus, having access to the sacred scrolls study the Scripture relevant to the Messiah and come to know before Jesus's crucifixion that Jesus, Son of God, had to die?

Joseph of Arimathea had purchased a new tomb that just happened to be located near Golgotha. Back then, wasn't the way of things that people were buried in family tombs located where they were from? Is it possible that Joseph actually purchased and prepared the tomb near Golgotha knowing that he could bury Jesus there, and fulfill prophecy?: Isaiah 53:9 His grave was assigned with wicked men, Yet He was with a rich man in His death, Because He had done no violence, Nor was there any deceit in His mouth.

Joseph, having been a secret Believer, upon Jesus's death became bold and asked Pilate for the body of Jesus. His request was granted.

John 19:38-42 After these things Joseph of Arimathea, being a disciple of Jesus, but a secret one for fear of the Jews, asked Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus; and Pilate granted permission. So he came and took away His body. Nicodemus, who had first come to Him by night, also came, bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about a hundred pounds weight. So they took the body of Jesus and bound it in linen wrappings with the spices, as is the burial custom of the Jews. Now in the place where He was crucified there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb in which no one had yet been laid. Therefore because of the Jewish day of preparation, since the tomb was nearby, they laid Jesus there.

Is it possible that Joseph and Nicodemus, before Jesus was arrested, had come to understand that He must die? Did Joseph of Arimathea actually purchase and prepare that tomb specifically for Jesus? What rich man in that era would purchase a tomb for himself away from where he was from, and why would Joseph buy and prepare a tomb so near Golgotha, the notorious place where the Romans regularly crucified people?

This thought is purely speculatory, but something that I considered during a Bible study I participated in yesterday.

Last edited:

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
I'd also consider that these two men were praying for Messiah. They may have had visions, they may have simply had frugal business dealings that prepared things without their knowledge. And when they met Jesus they were excited. Although some days were dark, the Resurrection must have been beyond belief.

Whether willingly or unknown, I'm sure they know now how they became a part of the Greatest Story Ever Told.

Purchased With Blood

I think you could be onto something here, as if he really wanted to be the one to fulfill this prophecy. Mark 15:43 specifies that he "went in boldly unto Pilate, and craved the body of Jesus." This is not unlike Alexander the Great, who was shown the scroll and recognized he was the conqueror spoken of by Daniel the prophet, and he knew victory would be his.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I think you could be onto something here, as if he really wanted to be the one to fulfill this prophecy. Mark 15:43 specifies that he "went in boldly unto Pilate, and craved the body of Jesus." This is not unlike Alexander the Great, who was shown the scroll and recognized he was the conqueror spoken of by Daniel the prophet, and he knew victory would be his.

My speculating doesn't have Joseph so much wanting to fulfill that prophecy, but by his actions for the Son of God, his Savior, as he was a Believer, understanding that in his burying Jesus in the tomb was a fulfillment of that prophecy.

Andy C

My speculating doesn't have Joseph so much wanting to fulfill that prophecy, but by his actions for the Son of God, his Savior, as he was a Believer, understanding that in his burying Jesus in the tomb was a fulfillment of that prophecy.
No way through a strict reading of scripture can we know for sure, but IMO, its either they were using good discernment on the Words Jesus spoke near the end, or they were given special revelation from God on what needed to be done for our Savior.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
No way through a strict reading of scripture can we know for sure, but IMO, its either they were using good discernment on the Words Jesus spoke near the end, or they were given special revelation from God on what needed to be done for our Savior.

They or one or the other could have known from the sacred scrolls, even without the Words Jesus spoke near the end. They were both followers of Jesus, they both had access to the scrolls, therein lies the speculation that Joseph purchased that burial place near Golgotha specifically for Jesus. It would have taken him some time to purchase it and then to prepare it as a burial place. That it was near Golgotha is the "tell" so to speak.

Any revelation could have been directly from the scrolls.

Andy C

They or one or the other could have known from the sacred scrolls, even without the Words Jesus spoke near the end. They were both followers of Jesus, they both had access to the scrolls, therein lies the speculation that Joseph purchased that burial place near Golgotha specifically for Jesus. It would have taken him some time to purchase it and then to prepare it as a burial place. That it was near Golgotha is the "tell" so to speak.
Ok, there are 3 possibilities….. :lol I did mean to add this in my above post, but….:dilbert

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
Both Joseph and Nicodemus were part of the Sanhedrin and as stated had access to the Holy Scrolls. Unlike the others in regards to who Jesus was, they believed Jesus was who He stated He was . They believed the Holy Scrolls.
We know Nicodemus actually met Jesus while He was alive.

I believe they both knew Isaiah 53:9 as they did all of chapter 53 and the rest of the Holy Scrolls .
Unfortunately that can not be said about the majority of the Sanhedrin.
I think it is quite evident that the Lord was working heavily in both of their hearts.

I believe the Scriptures provide plenty of evidence that both of these men loved The Lord Jesus Christ and were followers.

I believe Jesus put it in Nicodemus' heart to meet up with Joseph of Arimathea to help prepare for Jesus burial in the borrowed tomb.
These two individuals risked their livelihoods for the cause of Christ. For their love of the Messiah.
I personally believe that Joseph of Arimathea knew exactly who was going to be placed in that
tomb he purchased within very close proximity to Calvary.
Can you imagine the conversation Nicodemus and he had prior to preparing Jesus for the tomb?
I'm sure Nicodemus was very excited to tell Joseph of his conversation he had with Jesus and more importantly what Jesus said.
Timing was of the essence in regards to Jesus burial .
The location of the borrowed tomb was perfect.
The fact that it is empty displays the mighty power of The Resurrected Saviour .

Praise The Lamb
✝️

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
I love it when questions/discussions like this pop up. I would never have thought to wonder about it.
I agree.

All of it is the power of God manifested.
One must realize how big of a deal it was for two members of the Sanhedrin involved in the intimate burial of Christ Jesus.
Those two were divinely protected .

Joseph- God will give
Nicodemus - Victory to the people

First Corinthians 15:55-57

O death, where is thy sting?
O grave , where is thy victory?

The sting of death is sin;
and the strength of sin is the law,

But thanks be to God, which giveth us
the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Hallelujah !
✝️

Purchased With Blood

I think Luke chapter 2 illustrates how the Holy Spirit can choose to reveal special insight to those who diligently study the scriptures and with patience and faith await their fulfillment. I’m certain that both Simeon and Anna the prophetess knew Daniel’s 70 weeks very well, and knew there were not many weeks left until Messiah the Prince, which would later be fulfilled at the triumphal entry. This is also just speculation, but I’d bet that Anna’s hope to see the young Messiah was one of the main reasons she was always at the temple, knowing His parents would obey the custom of the law. I find the patience and faith of these two encouraging for us today who also eagerly await the glorious appearing of our Messiah.

Back