Did Jesus get involved in the Politics of His day?

lamonte

Jesus was the Word that was made flesh, and dwell among us “Jn 1:14”. Jesus was the creator of all things “Col 1:16”. Jesus was the promised Messiah, the Christ. He had the right to rule over the entire nation of Israel and even the world. However, when we look at the public ministry of Jesus, we find that He avoided any involvement in the current political issues of His day.

I really don’t see nothing recorded in the New Testament about Jesus Christ speaking out against any of the political issues of His day. Nothing in His teachings gives even the slightest hint that He had any political involvement.

In fact, Jesus refused to lead any political movement. He resisted when the people wanted to make Him King “Jn 6:15”. Jesus refused to get entangled in a political debate on paying taxes to Rome “Matt 22:15-22”.

Jesus did not incite the people against Rome, but He did stirs up the people all over Judea by His teaching on the Kingdom which was not of the world “Luke 23:5”. Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence. “Jn 18:36-37”.

Although Jesus was the promised Messiah, the one who could rightfully rule over Israel, He refused to become involved in the political issue of His day. We see this in many ways. Jesus refused to be made King, He told His disciples not to tell others that He was the Messiah. He never incited the people against Rome. False messiahs do the opposite. The reason He acted this way has to do with the nature of His Kingdom-it was not of this world. Jesus is calling His CHURCH out of this world and the He will destroy it by fire at His return “2 Pet 3”.

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
Jesus was the Word that was made flesh, and dwell among us “Jn 1:14”. Jesus was the creator of all things “Col 1:16”. Jesus was the promised Messiah, the Christ. He had the right to rule over the entire nation of Israel and even the world. However, when we look at the public ministry of Jesus, we find that He avoided any involvement in the current political issues of His day.

I really don’t see nothing recorded in the New Testament about Jesus Christ speaking out against any of the political issues of His day. Nothing in His teachings gives even the slightest hint that He had any political involvement.

In fact, Jesus refused to lead any political movement. He resisted when the people wanted to make Him King “Jn 6:15”. Jesus refused to get entangled in a political debate on paying taxes to Rome “Matt 22:15-22”.

Jesus did not incite the people against Rome, but He did stirs up the people all over Judea by His teaching on the Kingdom which was not of the world “Luke 23:5”. Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence. “Jn 18:36-37”.

Although Jesus was the promised Messiah, the one who could rightfully rule over Israel, He refused to become involved in the political issue of His day. We see this in many ways. Jesus refused to be made King, He told His disciples not to tell others that He was the Messiah. He never incited the people against Rome. False messiahs do the opposite. The reason He acted this way has to do with the nature of His Kingdom-it was not of this world. Jesus is calling His CHURCH out of this world and the He will destroy it by fire at His return “2 Pet 3”.
Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and give to God what is God's.

kathymendel

He never even uttered a word of self-defense to the politicos of His day.
He knew their hearts and that they would not change............just as we with the Holy Spirit can see in our world today.
Satan has truly taken over the majority of minds in this world. I don't think we can ever go back to what once was in our
country...........or the rest of the world, really. Too many evil people in the high places of government. The prophecies have been given,
and things of the world put into place for them to happen. It should be soon. Come, Lord Jesus......... take us with you, and bring about your perfect kingdom.

mattfivefour

Jesus is calling His CHURCH out of this world and the He will destroy it by fire at His return “2 Pet 3"
Yes, He is calling the members of His Church out of this world ... in attitude and behavior. That is so they will be able to reflect Him. And He is then sending them INTO this world because they CAN reflect Him and be both salt and light in society ... which is filled with the lost whom He loves and desires to save.

Salt purifies, preserves, and gives flavor. Light exposes, clarifies, and can even heal. We need to be IN the world to do those things. Sitting back on the outside, not being involved other than talking, does little. Yes, our main job is to proclaim the gospel and make disciples of Jesus Christ. But surely, in that process, we are also to act as a purifying agent in the various aspects of society. And that comes from injecting a Christian, godly world view into a society filled with a humanist world view.

crystal spyder

I'd say he got involved in the politics of the temple indirectly and just by his ministry upsetting the Sadducees to the point they convened an illegal trial to stop him.

And the Sadducees and the whole temple system operated only because the temple elders paid taxes to Rome for the privilege.

Which is why the Sadducees asked Pilate to prosecute Jesus under penalty of death.

The Sanhedrin couldn't kill him themselves by stoning on the charge of blasphemy because it was too close to Passover.

But, if the elders could convince Pilate Jesus preached insurrection, Rome's laws would do it for them.
They didn't count on Pilate realizing Jesus kingdom was no threat to earthly Rome.

So then the elders used the Passover mercy tradition Rome allotted prisoners on death row.

One goes free by majority decision of the assembled Jews. And no doubt the temple exerted their influence to persuade those gathered to "vote" for Barabbas to be set free.

It likely helped he was a zealot who saw Rome as an enemy occupier too for the Sanhedrin to choose Barabbas as the one to be liberated.

The glorious joke was on them though. Enemies of Messiah, devil's in temple garb, didn't know they were actually in service to Yahweh.

Because Jesus came to die to save the world from sin. And in essence put the temple politicians out of business by sealing a new covenant with the blood of his only begotten son.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Jesus came, not to establish His kingdom through a fallen, wordly, political system, but through a far superior means. By a new covenant, through His shed blood on the cross, that those who repent and place faith in Him would have completely new hearts, ready for Jesus's Kingdom on earth to come.

In that coming Kingdom, Jesus will then rule on earth as King of kings and Lord of lords.