Diatomaceous Earth - food grade.

Discussion in 'Anything Goes Coffee Shop' started by GoldenEagle, Oct 28, 2018.

1. GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone on here takes diatomaceous earth as a food supplement?

I was recommended it to help improve the quality of my dog’s coat and nails....his coat and nails are a lot healthier - but then so is he because he’s not poorly anymore..so I don’t know if it’s made a difference.

I’ve seen rave reviews about it for humans health too but virtually no scientific research. Though just because science hasn’t caught up with something doesn’t mean it’s not beneficial...

Círeth likes this.
  2. Jan51

Jan51 Well-Known Member

I have taken it in past years as a natural mineral supplement, still have some but don't remember to take it much anymore. I stirred it into orange juice. I know some who have taken it to get rid of parasites.

Círeth, GoldenEagle and anath like this.
  3. anath

anath I Love the Lord

I don't take it but I use non food grade to keep around my patio and back porch. Got feral cats in my backyard and do not want to get fleas and other pests inside my house.

Círeth and GoldenEagle like this.
  4. Everlasting Life

Everlasting Life Through Faith in Jesus

You might want to research Zeolite clay....at times called diatomaceous earth. I've had success in treating myself with this when hit with mold, or mycotoxins. It's almost instantaneous when the Zeolite hits my system and cleanses those toxins out.

It's used to pull radiation from the body as well as some toxins and metals (some people take baths with the clay with good results). In Russia, during the Chernobyl incident children and animals were treated with this clay to pull radiation from their bodies. Same thing with Fukushima, the clay was dumped in hordes to soak up the radiation. Farmland can do well with Zeolite as it cleanses the land and water treatment centers utilize Zeolite clay as part of their cleansing process.

Cats do great with it for their litter boxes, but causes crystals in their bladders if ingest with food. So watch out for that. By the way, if you do have a cat with crystals Apple Cider Vinegar works wonders! Great for dogs too. :)

Círeth and anath like this.
  5. Kerbluey

Kerbluey Well-Known Member

Everlasting Life, what does it do for litter boxes? Do you mix it with the litter? I used some to help our biblical plague of a flea problem we had this summer (sprinkled into carpet).

I noticed when I rubbed some onto the back of the cat the fleas love the fleas relocated. I understand it dehydrates the fleas, but I wonder if they are repelled by it somehow based on that experience.

Círeth and Everlasting Life like this.
  6. HeIsRisen

HeIsRisen Well-Known Member

We have a flea epidemic going on right now. I've discovered in the past three or so weeks that this thing sort of came out of nowhere and is now overwhelming us all. We have 3 cats and 3 dogs.....I have hardwood floors inside the house, but am worried now about these fleas, since all my pets are in and out doors.
    I have treated all of the cats and dogs with the Advantage II once a month stuff behind their necks. Even though it's been a good week since doing that, and I am not seeing many fleas on them, the fact is, they are all still scratching and so forth. So, now I think I need to do something serious in our almost 3 acre yard.....
    Whatever I do, I need it to be serious and effective right off the top.
    Any suggestions?

Círeth and Everlasting Life like this.
  7. caligal

caligal Well-Known Member

8. DMac

DMac Active Member

Sounds like a time when the Dinosaurs roamed.:trex

9. Everlasting Life

Everlasting Life Through Faith in Jesus

Kerbluey, you know, I think I was really tired when I posted as I was thinking of several things at once while reading and somehow combined a couple of things. :rolleyes:

So, diatomaceous earth is not the same as Zeolite clay (nor Bentonite clay), but apparently my tired brain was confusing and converging a few things into one that day. Sorry about that.

As Golden Eagle said diatomaceous is a great food supplement, and clays can be too. Zeolite and Bentonite clay both have similar effects as I described above....Bentonite (which I was also thinking was diatomaceous earth) clay is used in cat litter and that's why I was mentioning cat litter.

Diatomaceous earth is great for fleas because it does dehydrate the little critters. Apparently good for bedbugs too. I wonder if this would work for lice as well?
    You're not too far off. :) Diatomaceous earth is a powder made from fossilized phytoplankton.

https://www.mommypotamus.com/diatomaceous-earth-uses/

Well, you might consider utilizing the Diatomaceous earth in your home as a couple of videos in the link above shows. In the first video it shows how to create several perimeters in the home (this is for bedbugs, but the idea could be used broadly throughout the the house for other bugs too). In the second video there's info on how to apply to your critters fur out in the yard (which I would do in high traction areas for your animals to also possibly kill fleas in those areas too). Apparently as your animals go about their daily activities some of the Diatomaceous earth will also lightly spread to their beds, areas of activity, etc. which will in turn kill bugs you don't want on them. Sounds like treating them about every three weeks is effective and the dogs in the video seemed to enjoy it. It looks really easy to do.

Also, make sure to only get food grade Diatomaceous earth. Non food grade can cause lung issues as the structure of the non food grade powder is very abrasive. The food grade does not have this problem.

Círeth likes this.
  10. Kerbluey

We tried to attack from several angles. I used diatomaceous earth on the carpets, topical on the pets, flea combs, flea traps, a lot of vacuuming. This was all BARELY controlling things, but it’s frightening what would’ve happened without it. :D I finally decided to go nuclear and ordered some pro stuff: https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/pivot-ultra This is safe for hardwood floors. We have them in some areas. It didn’t damage them at all.

We just sprayed a second session 2 weeks after the first as based on the flea life cycle I felt like we needed to. We removed everything off the floors, vacuumed, flipped up mattresses, moved furniture, sprayed under pillows, washed ALL the soft stuff like blankets and throw rugs. TWICE. What a huge pain, but it’s working. Actually it worked immediately in addition to long term. I’m finding no fleas on anyone. I think my dogs were picking up fleas outside too, so next year (winter has arrived here) I’ll be preemptively treating the yard.

11. Kerbluey

Everlasting, no problem. I’d heard of the clay so was wondering. :)

Everlasting Life and Círeth like this.
  12. HeIsRisen

HeIsRisen Well-Known Member

Thanks, Kerbluey. I ordered some stuff for outdoors (we are in SC and the fleas sometimes never die off at winter, so I am going to treat now and again in Spring).
    I will order the indoor stuff you mentioned!
    I have used something they use on horses and dogs now, in addition to the monthly Advantage II behind the neck. The spray is called "Zonk it" and is used on horses and dogs. It smells terrible, but we are at war with fleas, so I have to bear it, lol.
    We have all hardwoods and tile which may account for why we aren't having so much trouble inside, and I also read fleas prefer to chew on non humans. In any case, I will treat indoors this go round, because they've never been like they were for us this year!!!

Círeth likes this.