Desktop and Laptop Market Peddling Junk - With Rare Exceptions

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Recently I've been telling people who come to me for technology support that they can no longer get a good desktop at a fair price, unless they build it or have someone build it, and with rare exception, the same goes for Laptops as well (minus the build it option). I just placed an order for two laptops for my boys who need them for college... after shopping for about 9 months. This was only the 2nd time during that shopping period that I found a laptop that offered quality at a fair price. I'd earlier tried to purchase a pair of decent Acers for $699 but my Costco account had a glitch in it and Costco kept cancelling my order. I found and fixed that glitch and now again the source is Costco. These cost $999 each, which is the maximum I'll pay for any system, but the specs aren't even matched on most laptops that can cost much more.

Lenovo Legion Y7000 Model 81LF0000US

Processor & Memory:
  • Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Processor 2.2GHz
  • 16GB DDR4 (2-DIMM) 2666MHz RAM
Operating System:
  • Microsoft® Windows 10 Home (64 Bit)
Drives:
  • 1.0TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive + 256GB PCle Solid State Drive
  • No Optical Drive
Graphics & Video:
  • 15.6" Anti-glare IPS LED Backlit FHD (1920 x 1080) Display
  • 6GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Graphics
Communications:
  • 802.11 Wireless-AC + Bluetooth® 4.1
  • 100/1000M Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 Connector)
  • Integrated 720p Webcam
Audio:
  • 2x 2W speakers + Harman® Audio Premium Processing
Keyboard:
  • Backlit Keyboard with Numeric Keypad
Ports & Slots:
  • 3x USB 3.1
  • 1x USB 3.1 Type C
  • 1x HDMI 2.0
  • 1x Combination Audio Jack
Battery:
  • Up to 5-hour Battery
  • 3-Cell 57WH Lithium Polymer
Additional Information:
  • Dimensions: 14.22" x 10.51" x 1.06"
  • Approximate Weight: 5.17lbs
Lenovo has redesigned the Legion case a bit. Instead of red back light for the keyboard it is now white back light. Most of the ports are on the backside instead of on the sides which is the traditional location for ports on laptops. Each side does have one USB port and the left side also has the port for headphones/earbuds. The dimensions of the laptop have shrunk by .78" X .24" on the length and width while keeping the screen size the same.

On this laptop the USB ports can be used for charging devices even when the computer is turned off. I like that feature. And Lenovo has upgraded its battery conservation method so that the life of the battery is inherently considered during the recharge process. Before, you could choose battery conservation mode or not, now optimized conservation is built in without any need to change a setting.

I was sorely disappointed in Intel's i7 7XXXU and i7 8XXXu cpus for laptops. The 7th generation i7 came with 2 cores and the performance was horrible. The 8th generation did come with 4 cores but this laptop arrives with a 2nd generation 8th generation cpu with 6 cores and 12 threads. Boot time to log in screen is 6 seconds and sleep to wake is pretty much instantaneous. Intel had also come out with a 2nd generation of the 7th generation i7 laptop cpu which performed better than any of the original 8th gen i7 laptop cpus. This i7-8750H Processor gets the job done about 30% faster than the i7 7700HQ 2nd gen of the 7th gen, a remarkable improvement over an already incredible cpu.

I share this short eval in case anyone is looking at a possible laptop purchase. Whenever anyone asks for my help with a purchase, I first offer them the best system for the price (value matched with quality), and then continue the search if they want to spend less. In most cases nowadays, though, a lot of relative junk is being pushed on the consumer, especially in the desktop arena.

Last edited:

ozaprah

Very nice TT. Your kids are lucky! It looks like they enjoy a bit of gaming I presume. The unit is very nicely spec'd, with perhaps the only potential downside of weight and battery life to consider, but at college you don't tend to have multiple classes in a row requiring 8 hrs of on the go power.

You're right about there being a lot of junk out there. My kids are still going through high school and while the school is suggesting a Lenovo X380 yoga (nice laptop for school age) I've always been able to get a equivalent Dell Latitude at about half the price via their outlet store.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
One thing I decided early on back when my kids were in elementary school was that I was going to ensure they had good technology tools to support their education. Our house filled up and remained filled with high end desktop computers and notebooks. I'd replace some every year and give the older ones to other families. Most of the desktops I built myself. Looking back I think that was one of the better decisions I've made in terms of supporting the kids. When I first made the decision the schools themselves weren't full of computers... By the time the younger kids were in high school, most of their assignments were being turned in via the cloud and their schools were full of computers.. In just a decade, things changed dramatically.

My kids don't game. Because I did a lot of computer based graphics work I learned early on that gaming computers were generally the ones that were also best for heavy duty work.

Last edited:

Luke12

I've never owned a laptop.... I've always had desktops. The one I surf on now is a Dell Inspiron 660 which is 5 years old. Today I replaced the old 7200 rpm hard drive that came with it to a Samsung SSD. I downloaded their cloning software for free (it works as long as it's a Samsung target drive) and proceeded to clone the old hard disk to the new SSD. After cloning I disconnected the old hard drive and it booted right up pretty quickly.
SSD drives are worth it and they make the booting and loading times quicker.
And there's no problem running a Cad program on it.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I've never owned a laptop.... I've always had desktops. The one I surf on now is a Dell Inspiron 660 which is 5 years old. Today I replaced the old 7200 rpm hard drive that came with it to a Samsung SSD. I downloaded their cloning software for free (it works as long as it's a Samsung target drive) and proceeded to clone the old hard disk to the new SSD. After cloning I disconnected the old hard drive and it booted right up pretty quickly.
SSD drives are worth it and they make the booting and loading times quicker.
And there's no problem running a Cad program on it.

That's great that you were able to clone without any issues. Going from a regular hard drive to an SSD is probably like getting a brand new computer in terms of current compared to previous performance.