Dennis Prager

Jonathan

Recently I came across a couple of books by talk show host/commentator Dennis Prager, who is a conservative former Orthodox Jew and media figure. Apparently, he has written two commentaries/expositions on Genesis and Exodus that seem to be in the category of modern Apologetics.

Has anyone had the chance to read either book? If so, are they solid, and if so too, are they worth taking a look at?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

DanLMP

The Exodus book only came out on April 2.
The Genesis book doesn't come out until May 7.

I doubt anyone here has had a chance to read them.

DanLMP

From the Amazon description of the Exodus book:

Why do so many people think the Bible, the most influential book in world history, is outdated? Why do our friends and neighbors – and sometimes we ourselves – dismiss the Bible as irrelevant, irrational, immoral, or all of these things? This explanation of the Book of Exodus, the second book of the Bible, will demonstrate that the Bible is not only powerfully relevant to today’s issues, but completely consistent with rational thought. Do you think the Bible permitted the trans-Atlantic slave trade? You won’t after reading this book. Do you struggle to love your parents? If you do, you need this book. Do you doubt the existence of God because belief in God is “irrational?” This book will give you reason after reason to rethink your doubts. The title of this commentary is, “The Rational Bible” because its approach is entirely reason-based. The reader is never asked to accept anything on faith alone. As Prager says, “If something I write does not make rational sense, I have not done my job.” The Rational Bible is the fruit of Dennis Prager’s forty years of teaching the Bible to people of every faith, and no faith. On virtually every page, you will discover how the text relates to the contemporary world and to your life.

The description of the Genesis book is similar.

Jonathan

Thanks Dan, I didn't pick up on how recent the publication dates were/are. To date, my favorite exposition on Genesis is by Arnold Fruchtenbaum, but as far as I know he hasn't written one on Exodus yet. With that said, as much as I may like Mr. Prager, I am not expecting Fruchtenbaum level insight from him.

Just thought I would test the waters and see if anyone had any experience with those two books. But like you said, one isn't even released yet and the other has only been out a few days.

I hope this thread doesn't get lost in the heap because if anyone does read either of these books in the future I would be interested in their thoughts.

Thanks for the help Dan.

Jonathan

NEWS FLASH!! To anyone who has a kindle (or the kindle program) and likes Arnold, he has a number of his best books on sale on Amazon for $2.99 each or FREE if you have Kindle Unlimited. This includes both his commentary on Genesis as well as my favorite book of his "Jesus was a Jew" (A must read to understand why the Jews rejected the Messiah).

Seriously, most of the books listed normally go for $20-$40 in hardback. If you are into kindle and have some change to spare, definitely check it out.

DanLMP

NEWS FLASH!! To anyone who has a kindle (or the kindle program) and likes Arnold, he has a number of his best books on sale on Amazon for $2.99 each or FREE if you have Kindle Unlimited. This includes both his commentary on Genesis as well as my favorite book of his "Jesus was a Jew" (A must read to understand why the Jews rejected the Messiah).

Seriously, most of the books listed normally go for $20-$40 in hardback. If you are into kindle and have some change to spare, definitely check it out.

Thanks for the tip.

Jonathan

I wish they would put The Footsteps out in digital.
You and me both. That was, unfortunately, missing from the available titles on sale for Kindle/Amazon. You are right though. Footsteps is probably Arnold's masterpiece, although I seriously urge anyone who hasn't read either his commentary on Genesis or "Jesus was a Jew" to give it a read.

But yea, it would be nice to have FSOTM on digital, wouldn't it? Take care bro.

Back