Deception in the End Times

Rescued by the Cross

I have become increasingly curious about some news stories in the recent months. In particular, I am frankly wondering how much some news may be produced to impact public discourse and political issues. We know from scripture that a day of great deception is coming: "For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect." Matthew 24:24

As that day approaches, Christians will need to be on guard from increasing deception as we are likely to see this building from birth pangs like any other prophetic issue.

The story which originally drew my attention was the story of Martin Shkreli the greedy young hedge fun manager who was thrust into national news when his investment group took over a pharmaceutical company and proceeded to raise the price of an AIDs drug from $13.50 to $750 a pill in one day. While greed is nothing new to business, the entire antics of this would perfectly with a ridiculous spoof. Every aspect from outrageous press interviews to very public displays of wealth seem very strange. I find it even stranger that the inception of this started shortly after signals that prescription drug costs were going to be made a political issue in this cycle. I suppose there is some potential it is what is presented on the surface, but something here just does not ring true to me. Even the most bold examples of criminal activity like Bernie Madoff did not exhibit such public "pokes in the eye" like the recent show at congress, etc.

Such efforts to to form public opinion have taken place before, but it is worthwhile for Christians to realize that the work of the Holy Spirit to reveal truth to us is essential in our walk. Initial skepticism followed by prayer will be a very healthy approach.