Death?

REKG

On a couple of occasions I heard individuals make comments of people dying and coming back to life. As for me I truly believe Hebrews 9:27, Man is to Die once, then judgement. Then I read in Luke 16: 19-31; and that makes sense to the above scripture that once once you die you don't come back and you can't talk to anyone who is alive. So I just set there and let the conversion continue knowing that I didn't feel right about dieing and coming back. Can any one shed any light on this subject. I sure would like some help.

REKG

LivinForChrist, sure thank you for the reply, I do believe that is very good advice, just kinda felt guilty that I didn't say anything, even though I thought the conversasion didn't sound right.

Micki

MARANATHA!!
There is no such thing as reincarnation. There are miraculous revivals in the Bible. Elijah raises a woman's son in 1 Kings 17:19; Elisha raises a woman's son in 2 Kings 4:32-35; the bones of Elisha cause a man to come back to life in 2 Kings 13:20-21; Jesus raised three different people from the dead in Luke 7:11-15, Luke 8:49-55 and John 11:41-44; Acts 9:36-41 has Peter raising Tabitha from the dead and finally we see Paul resurrect Eutychus in Acts 20:7-12.

Do these things still happen? I believe yes but you have to decide for yourself.

SkyRider

On a couple of occasions I heard individuals make comments of people dying and coming back to life. As for me I truly believe Hebrews 9:27, Man is to Die once, then judgement. Then I read in Luke 16: 19-31; and that makes sense to the above scripture that once once you die you don't come back and you can't talk to anyone who is alive. So I just set there and let the conversion continue knowing that I didn't feel right about dieing and coming back. Can any one shed any light on this subject. I sure would like some help.

Terry James, the author and editor in chief for the Rapture Ready website, had such an encounter. I believe he had a heart attack, and he claims he had three seperate glimpses of Heaven, while they tried resusitating his body. He wrote a book on the encounter. His e-mail address is [email protected] if you want to ask him questions personally about it. It would be interesting to get his direct comments on it, although it is all detailed in the book (sorry, I forget the title right now).

I also picked up a book at a WalMart up in Anchorage a few years ago, called "90 minutes in Heaven" by Don Piper. He was involved in a terrible car crash and also claims to have gone to Heaven for the hour and a half they worked on reviving him. Enjoyed the book and it seemed consisent with what one would actually expect to see and experience upon one's arrival there. About two years ago, he also came to speak at our church about what transpired. Seemed very believable.

On the flip side, I've also read accounts of people claiming the same kinds of experiences, but what they described in what they encountered in their vision of Heaven didn't line up with the few verses we find in scripture about Heaven.

iSong6:3

Peeps - Just a friendly reminder that there is to be no promotion of Don Piper's book (per posting rule 6) and no stories of "trips to Heaven or Hell and back" (rule #7.)

B@rry

Defender of the Faith
Peeps - Just a friendly reminder that there is to be no promotion of Don Piper's book (per posting rule 6) and no stories of "trips to Heaven or Hell and back" (rule #7.)

I agree - the Revelation of Heaven has already been given to us by the apostle John...in the Book of The Revelation of The Lord Jesus Christ - Revelation 1:1 :hat:

iSong6:3

I agree - the Revelation of Heaven has already been given to us by the apostle John...in the Book of The Revelation of The Lord Jesus Christ - Revelation 1:1 :hat:

Yep. :thumbup Bottom line, there is nothing to be gained from such stories anyway. The Bible tells us all we need to know, by God's design.

We know that satan and his minions can manifest themselves as angels of light. Far, far too many of these stories contradict what is revealed in God's Word. And worse, the *message* so many of these people feel they've learned from their *trips to Heaven* is clearly satanic; for example, that everyone will go there, that all we need to do on earth is learn to love, that Jesus would say to the unsaved *just keep doing what you're doing*, etc. No seeing the need for their own repentance and unworthiness to enter such a place or speak with a blazingly holy God.

Imo, even concerning the very few that aren't necessarily unBiblical out of hand, there is no secret knowledge to be gained by them. Seeking for secret knowledge is always dangerous. Take those with a grain of salt. :hat:

B@rry

Defender of the Faith
Just goes to show that all we christians must be on guard - dreams, visions; we must test all spirits as the apostle John warned 1 John 4:1 :nod

I sometimes wonder whether people write stuff to gain either fame or money...not making a judgement here though 1 Corinthians 4:5 :thumbup

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
Just goes to show that all we christians must be on guard - dreams, visions; we must test all spirits as the apostle John warned 1 John 4:1 :nod
I sometimes wonder whether people write stuff to gain either fame or money...not making a judgement here though 1 Corinthians 4:5 :thumbup
I agree wholeheartedly with your first statement about our need to be on guard, and have wondered about the motives mentioned in your last statement as well, though that will be up to the Lord to make manifest at the judgment. If Christians would just focus on Jesus, getting to know Him more and more, we would have a greater understanding of Who He is, which is the greatest use of our time while on this earth, for that would lead us to become 'true' worshipers.

Heistheway

Death needs to be redefined to eliminate the confusion on the subject. Not thinking this through, I'd suggest death be defined as "an end of chemical life that cannot be reversed without God's intervention." Once this occurs, molecular disintegration begins to occur.

This would allow for discontinuance of breath, brain wave activity, nerve stimulation, heart beat and all other normal indicators of life as we know it. Short stints (up to a couple of hours) have been recorded and those people have resumed fairly normal lives beyond the event.

God is the Master of utilizing what we normally think of as bad events. Satan inspired all of those bad events, especially human death, but God can and sometimes does use the "apparent" death to bring about knowledge, wisdom and understanding to us.

B@rry

Defender of the Faith
Even the apostle Paul wasn't allowed to talk about what he saw 2 Corinthians 12:4 :nod

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
Even the apostle Paul wasn't allowed to talk about what he saw 2 Corinthians 12:4 :nod

I've thought about this before when someone else comes along with the latest bestseller to tell everyone what they saw when they are 'dead.' Lazarus didn't have much to say either, as I recall. That's why I don't give much attention to anyone's book that discusses this kind of thing. If a Christian has this type of experience (and perhaps many people actually have), why would they feel compelled to share it with everyone else? :scratch: Maybe it was something for just them, like the apostle Paul's experience. No doubt it served a purpose in his life, and God had a reason for bringing it about, however, Barnes & Noble was never a major player in it. That's good enough for me.

B@rry

Defender of the Faith
I think maybe the Lord showed Paul what he would eventually inherit so that he would be highly motivated to preach the gospel, considering the fierce opposition he experienced.

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
I think maybe the Lord showed Paul what he would eventually inherit so that he would be highly motivated to preach the gospel, considering the fierce opposition he experienced.

That may be very well the Lord's reason for it, because he did indeed suffer much affliction that not many people could have endured. Perhaps this was God's way of strengthening him.

Duncanmc

Many of the recounted experiences make me uneasy in my spirit while some seem to be uplifting. But the bottom line for me is that these people are living, breathing entities and I believe they did not actually die in the final sense we understand death to be. If a recounted experience goes against scripture then I disavow it totally.

Back