Days of Lot vs today

I think you’re giving Lot too much credit here.
He made a choice to sacrifice his daughters because he thought this was less evil than homosexuality.

But later on, Lot gets drunk and has sex with both his daughters.

…so not sure he has the best judgement or would consider the safety of his daughters.

Talk about daddy issues.
I think the takeaway lesson here is that humans have flawed thinking when they believe committing one sin is less evil than another, while both are equally depraved and still sins.

It’s not up to us to say which sin is worse, however Christians still fall into this line of thinking to this day.

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
It’s not up to us to say which sin is worse, however Christians still fall into this line of thinking to this day.
I don't think it is always so black and white. What is one to do when the only options are all sin? Take Rehab lying to her king about the Hebrew spies for example.

Gen 19 points to Lot's daughters initiating the sexual sin with him. Ruth was from Moab. Jesus was a direct descendant of Ruth.

God's ways are definitely higher and not always so cut and dry.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I think you’re giving Lot too much credit here.
He made a choice to sacrifice his daughters because he thought this was less evil than homosexuality.

But later on, Lot gets drunk and has sex with both his daughters.

…so not sure he has the best judgement or would consider the safety of his daughters.

Talk about daddy issues.

Lot's daughters got him drunk and had sex with him because there were no men available to be their husbands (Genesis 19:30-38).

30 And Lot went up out of Zoar, and dwelt in the mountain, and his two daughters with him; for he feared to dwell in Zoar: and he dwelt in a cave, he and his two daughters.
31 And the firstborn said unto the younger, Our father is old, and there is not a man in the earth to come in unto us after the manner of all the earth:
32 Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.
33 And they made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.
34 And it came to pass on the morrow, that the firstborn said unto the younger, Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in, and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.
35 And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.
36 Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father.
37 And the first born bare a son, and called his name Moab: the same is the father of the Moabites unto this day.
38 And the younger, she also bare a son, and called his name Benammi: the same is the father of the children of Ammon unto this day.
Genesis 19:30-38, KJV

Ghoti Ichthus

I think it's interesting that unless Lot lied about his daughters having not known man, Lot's daughters were virgins and married (Genesis 19:8 and 14). No idea if they were betrothed, which was still considered and referred to as married in the Bible (although not yet wedded like Mary and Joseph being called married and Mary being a virgin), or whether the depravity was so bad in Sodom that Lot's sons-in-law had not bothered or wanted to have sex with their wives (Lot's daughters). There's some support for the latter since Lot went out to his sons-in-law when he told them to leave, and either he mocked them or they mocked him (Genesis 19:14).

1 And there came two angels to Sodom at even; and Lot sat in the gate of Sodom: and Lot seeing them rose up to meet them; and he bowed himself with his face toward the ground;
2 And he said, Behold now, my lords, turn in, I pray you, into your servant's house, and tarry all night, and wash your feet, and ye shall rise up early, and go on your ways. And they said, Nay; but we will abide in the street all night.
3 And he pressed upon them greatly; and they turned in unto him, and entered into his house; and he made them a feast, and did bake unleavened bread, and they did eat.
4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter:
5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.
6 And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him,
7 And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.
8 Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.
9 And they said, Stand back. And they said again, This one fellow came in to sojourn, and he will needs be a judge: now will we deal worse with thee, than with them. And they pressed sore upon the man, even Lot, and came near to break the door.
10 But the men put forth their hand, and pulled Lot into the house to them, and shut to the door.
11 And they smote the men that were at the door of the house with blindness, both small and great: so that they wearied themselves to find the door.
12 And the men said unto Lot, Hast thou here any besides? son in law, and thy sons, and thy daughters, and whatsoever thou hast in the city, bring them out of this place:
13 For we will destroy this place, because the cry of them is waxen great before the face of the Lord; and the Lord hath sent us to destroy it.
14 And Lot went out, and spake unto his sons in law, which married his daughters, and said, Up, get you out of this place; for the Lord will destroy this city. But he seemed as one that mocked unto his sons in law.
15 And when the morning arose, then the angels hastened Lot, saying, Arise, take thy wife, and thy two daughters, which are here; lest thou be consumed in the iniquity of the city.
16 And while he lingered, the men laid hold upon his hand, and upon the hand of his wife, and upon the hand of his two daughters; the Lord being merciful unto him: and they brought him forth, and set him without the city.
17 And it came to pass, when they had brought them forth abroad, that he said, Escape for thy life; look not behind thee, neither stay thou in all the plain; escape to the mountain, lest thou be consumed.
18 And Lot said unto them, Oh, not so, my Lord:
19 Behold now, thy servant hath found grace in thy sight, and thou hast magnified thy mercy, which thou hast shewed unto me in saving my life; and I cannot escape to the mountain, lest some evil take me, and I die:
20 Behold now, this city is near to flee unto, and it is a little one: Oh, let me escape thither, (is it not a little one?) and my soul shall live.
21 And he said unto him, See, I have accepted thee concerning this thing also, that I will not overthrow this city, for the which thou hast spoken.
22 Haste thee, escape thither; for I cannot do anything till thou be come thither. Therefore the name of the city was called Zoar.
23 The sun was risen upon the earth when Lot entered into Zoar.
24 Then the Lord rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the Lord out of heaven;
25 And he overthrew those cities, and all the plain, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and that which grew upon the ground.
26 But his wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt.
27 And Abraham gat up early in the morning to the place where he stood before the Lord:
28 And he looked toward Sodom and Gomorrah, and toward all the land of the plain, and beheld, and, lo, the smoke of the country went up as the smoke of a furnace.
29 And it came to pass, when God destroyed the cities of the plain, that God remembered Abraham, and sent Lot out of the midst of the overthrow, when he overthrew the cities in the which Lot dwelt.
Genesis 19:1-29, KJV

Ghoti Ichthus

Lot's sons-in-law maybe not having any interest in their wives parallels what's going on today. Men preferring to have sex with men, and transsexual movement and laws setting pretend females, who are actually males (XY) above and preferable to real females (XX) in female gender roles (sex, pregnancy, delivery, nursing, female sports, etc.). To the extent of replacing real females (XX) with females, they are administering female (XX) hormones and transplanting female (XX) reproductive organs into males (XY), who are pretending to be females. To do this, trans theology must deceive females (XX) into thinking they can become males so that males (XY) can steal the reproductive gift God gave females (XX) to complete their "transformation" into "female." This same trans theology claims females (XX) can become male and thus escape being female and claim headship. In reality, females (XX) that are pretend males are rejected by real males (XY), and even with surgery and hormones, cannot generally physically compete with real males (XY).

As I'm writing this, satan's deception of Eve, and Adam's original sin, come to mind. Once again, satan is up to his old tricks
:furious :rant :mad :wild :frust :cry

Jan51

I think it's interesting that unless Lot lied about his daughters having not known man, Lot's daughters were virgins and married (Genesis 19:8 and 14). No idea if they were betrothed, which was still considered and referred to as married in the Bible (although not yet wedded like Mary and Joseph being called married and Mary being a virgin), or whether the depravity was so bad in Sodom that Lot's sons-in-law had not bothered or wanted to have sex with their wives (Lot's daughters). There's some support for the latter since Lot went out to his sons-in-law when he told them to leave, and either he mocked them or they mocked him (Genesis 19:14).

1 And there came two angels to Sodom at even; and Lot sat in the gate of Sodom: and Lot seeing them rose up to meet them; and he bowed himself with his face toward the ground;
2 And he said, Behold now, my lords, turn in, I pray you, into your servant's house, and tarry all night, and wash your feet, and ye shall rise up early, and go on your ways. And they said, Nay; but we will abide in the street all night.
3 And he pressed upon them greatly; and they turned in unto him, and entered into his house; and he made them a feast, and did bake unleavened bread, and they did eat.
4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter:
5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.
6 And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him,
7 And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.
8 Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.
9 And they said, Stand back. And they said again, This one fellow came in to sojourn, and he will needs be a judge: now will we deal worse with thee, than with them. And they pressed sore upon the man, even Lot, and came near to break the door.
10 But the men put forth their hand, and pulled Lot into the house to them, and shut to the door.
11 And they smote the men that were at the door of the house with blindness, both small and great: so that they wearied themselves to find the door.
12 And the men said unto Lot, Hast thou here any besides? son in law, and thy sons, and thy daughters, and whatsoever thou hast in the city, bring them out of this place:
13 For we will destroy this place, because the cry of them is waxen great before the face of the Lord; and the Lord hath sent us to destroy it.
14 And Lot went out, and spake unto his sons in law, which married his daughters, and said, Up, get you out of this place; for the Lord will destroy this city. But he seemed as one that mocked unto his sons in law.
15 And when the morning arose, then the angels hastened Lot, saying, Arise, take thy wife, and thy two daughters, which are here; lest thou be consumed in the iniquity of the city.
16 And while he lingered, the men laid hold upon his hand, and upon the hand of his wife, and upon the hand of his two daughters; the Lord being merciful unto him: and they brought him forth, and set him without the city.
17 And it came to pass, when they had brought them forth abroad, that he said, Escape for thy life; look not behind thee, neither stay thou in all the plain; escape to the mountain, lest thou be consumed.
18 And Lot said unto them, Oh, not so, my Lord:
19 Behold now, thy servant hath found grace in thy sight, and thou hast magnified thy mercy, which thou hast shewed unto me in saving my life; and I cannot escape to the mountain, lest some evil take me, and I die:
20 Behold now, this city is near to flee unto, and it is a little one: Oh, let me escape thither, (is it not a little one?) and my soul shall live.
21 And he said unto him, See, I have accepted thee concerning this thing also, that I will not overthrow this city, for the which thou hast spoken.
22 Haste thee, escape thither; for I cannot do anything till thou be come thither. Therefore the name of the city was called Zoar.
23 The sun was risen upon the earth when Lot entered into Zoar.
24 Then the Lord rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the Lord out of heaven;
25 And he overthrew those cities, and all the plain, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and that which grew upon the ground.
26 But his wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt.
27 And Abraham gat up early in the morning to the place where he stood before the Lord:
28 And he looked toward Sodom and Gomorrah, and toward all the land of the plain, and beheld, and, lo, the smoke of the country went up as the smoke of a furnace.
29 And it came to pass, when God destroyed the cities of the plain, that God remembered Abraham, and sent Lot out of the midst of the overthrow, when he overthrew the cities in the which Lot dwelt.
Genesis 19:1-29, KJV
Also Lot could have had other married daughters, but these two were still with him.

ldonjohn

"God said it, that settles it!"
I like your final comment "Just wondering if today's evil is more deceptive because of how the world has "advanced" since the days of Lot.'

That makes s lot of sense. Things are more deceptive. We don't see them clearly.

So, we are closer than we think to seeing Jesus. Satan is "cloaking" his dirty deeds. With that confusion in mind, YES,........almost there.
In Matthew 24:4 the disciples asked Jesus what the world would be like at the end just before His return. The first thing he warned them about was deception.
Think about all the ways we and our children are being deceived and manipulated today.

Another "sign" that I think points to the soon return of Christ is the increased knowledge in science, medical, technology, and especially in AI. I might be wrong about this, but I think God will put an end to this present age because, otherwise, very soon man will be able to do things that He did not intend man to do.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
Definitely a lot of deception going on, and we know who is behind it. :diablo He is a about lies, stealing, killing as in babies, and destruction. The spirit is definitely in our politics, and deception in churches with all the cults. We have Cern trying to open up portals a lot of weird activity for sure.

I don't think it is always so black and white. What is one to do when the only options are all sin? Take Rehab lying to her king about the Hebrew spies for example.

Gen 19 points to Lot's daughters initiating the sexual sin with him. Ruth was from Moab. Jesus was a direct descendant of Ruth.

I hope this isn’t taken as a negative criticism because I genuinely have an open mind when it comes to learning from others about the topics that are discussed in these forums,

I am also hoping that anyone else that reads this and can offer insight will share their opinion as well.

If things are not so black and white in regards to sin, why are so many forums on this page dedicated to condemning and judging any number of subjects as evil?

Is this the role all believers are supposed to take on? Are we all meant to be critics of the times?

If we recognize something as evil, does our fight against it start and end at the keyboard? What is the ultimate goal of pointing it out? How do we fight against it?

Is looking for constant parallels between the predicted end times and our current world events making us focus entirely too much time on earthly matters?

I am looking forward to reading the personal insights of any one that takes the time to share.

Thank you!

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I hope this isn’t taken as a negative criticism because I genuinely have an open mind when it comes to learning from others about the topics that are discussed in these forums,

I am also hoping that anyone else that reads this and can offer insight will share their opinion as well. but how are things not so black and white then.

If things are not so black and white in regards to sin, why are so many forums on this page dedicated to condemning and judging any number of subjects as evil?

Is this the role all believers are supposed to take on? Are we all meant to be critics of the times?

If we recognize something as evil, does our fight against it start and end at the keyboard? What is the ultimate goal of pointing it out? How do we fight against it?

Is looking for constant parallels between the predicted end times and our current world events making us focus entirely too much time on earthly matters?

I am looking forward to reading the personal insights of any one that takes the time to share.

Thank you!

No negative criticism taken. :hat

But I'll tell you exactly why. I focus this site on the Bible, prophecy, the rapture, and the end times.

The culture wars and politics all point to the description of how the end times will be in the last days.

And what do you mean what is not black and white in regards to to sin? I'm not following. Can you clarify please?

We most certainly can be critics and point out where there is evil around us and how it effects our families (abortion, drugs flooding across our borders), children (drag queen story time and LGBTQ+ satanic nonsense in schools), etc. etc. etc.

I do have a partial focus on this site to the culture wars because we are not going to just lie down and let the world run roughshod over us. Jesus wasn't a patsy and He spoke up when needed and He even got mad like with the money-changers in the Temple. But it was a righteous anger. We can and should have righteous anger over the promotion of unbiblical and ungodly lifestyles, especially when they effect the most vulnerable in our society - the children.

No siree bob! We are not going to sit and be slaughtered like sheep. All it takes for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing! And we are not going to sit here and do nothing! We will speak out about ungodly behavior, we will show why it is ungodly, we will expose it for the ungodliness it is, etc.

I don't think anyone here stops the fight at the keyboard. When people ask me about stuff in real life at work, outside this site, etc. when it comes to evil as it concerns politics, the culture wars, sin, etc. I don't slump in my chair and close my eyes. I tell people what it is and if it is against God's Word I say so. I'm sure many people on here will tell you they do the same.

I have this site to help take the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the whole world and that is we do. We don't stop at the keyboard. It goes well beyond the computer. But we sure can reach a lot my electronic means. :nod

And no I don't think we are focusing too much on earthly matters. Jesus didn't tell us to get saved and then go camp out on the nearest mountain and wait for Him to come back. Or for us to just shrug our shoulders about the evil all around us and just act like it doesn't matter. Oh no, not at all. :nope

Like Jesus said, we are not of this world, but while we are here we are not to just let the devil just run wild with his evil schemes. Are we just supposed to let the Drag Queens on the libraries fondle and groom the young children?? :faint

We expose them and we confront them. We put on our spiritual armor and defend what is right against satan's minions on earth while we can and while we spread the Good News and carry out the Great Commission. :thumbup

JMHO.

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
Sorry, what I posted probably was not clear. Some sin is most definitely black and white. But when we look at others and what they do it is not always what it seems.

I used Rehab lying to her king about the hebrew spies as an example. Both options were sin. Going against God's people and most likely having the spies killed by revealing them OR lying to her king and sovereign. One would think she judged which sin was "worse."

Next we have Lot and the incident with drunkenness/sexual sin with his daughters. It was sin but it still happened the way it did. Yet God used it to bring about Moab and Ruth - a maternal ancestor of Christ. An example of God taking something bad and making it good - glory to God!

My main takeaway is that we should just be careful when judging sin, it is easy to say mostly what is bad or good but it is hard/impossible to judge the heart and motives when living in this sinful world.

Walk in the Spirit and use discernment.

No negative criticism taken. :hat

But I'll tell you exactly why. I focus this site on the Bible, prophecy, the rapture, and the end times.

The culture wars and politics all point to the description of how the end times will be in the last days.

And what do you mean what is not black and white in regards to to sin? I'm not following. Can you clarify please?

We most certainly can be critics and point out where there is evil around us and how it effects our families (abortion, drugs flooding across our borders), children (drag queen story time and LGBTQ+ satanic nonsense in schools), etc. etc. etc.

I do have a partial focus on this site to the culture wars because we are not going to just lie down and let the world run roughshod over us. Jesus wasn't a patsy and He spoke up when needed and He even got mad like with the money-changers in the Temple. But it was a righteous anger. We can and should have righteous anger over the promotion of unbiblical and ungodly lifestyles, especially when they effect the most vulnerable in our society - the children.

No siree bob! We are not going to sit and be slaughtered like sheep. All it takes for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing! And we are not going to sit here and do nothing! We will speak out about ungodly behavior, we will show why it is ungodly, we will expose it for the ungodliness it is, etc.

I don't think anyone here stops the fight at the keyboard. When people ask me about stuff in real life at work, outside this site, etc. when it comes to evil as it concerns politics, the culture wars, sin, etc. I don't slump in my chair and close my eyes. I tell people what it is and if it is against God's Word I say so. I'm sure many people on here will tell you they do the same.

I have this site to help take the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the whole world and that is we do. We don't stop at the keyboard. It goes well beyond the computer. But we sure can reach a lot my electronic means. :nod

And no I don't think we are focusing too much on earthly matters. Jesus didn't tell us to get saved and then go camp out on the nearest mountain and wait for Him to come back. Or for us to just shrug our shoulders about the evil all around us and just act like it doesn't matter. Oh no, not at all. :nope

Like Jesus said, we are not of this world, but while we are here we are not to just let the devil just run wild with his evil schemes. Are we just supposed to let the Drag Queens on the libraries fondle and groom the young children?? :faint

We expose them and we confront them. We put on our spiritual armor and defend what is right against satan's minions on earth while we can and while we spread the Good News and carry out the Great Commission. :thumbup

JMHO.
Thank you, I greatly appreciate your response and insight. I’m glad you didn’t take it as any kind of personal attack. I ask a lot of questions because it’s interesting to me to hear new viewpoints and what led to those views since we all have our own unique set of experiences that frame how we interpret things.

Ghoti Ichthus

Today, I saw the ESV translation of the events in Sodom and Gomorrah and learned Lot's sons-in-law were betrothed to his daughters, so why the daughters were both virgin and married (but not wedded). So like Mary being virgin and the espoused wife of Joseph.

12 Then the men said to Lot, “Have you anyone else here? Sons-in-law, sons, daughters, or anyone you have in the city, bring them out of the place.
13 For we are about to destroy this place, because the outcry against its people has become great before the LORD, and the LORD has sent us to destroy it.”
14 So Lot went out and said to his sons-in-law, who were to marry his daughters, “Up! Get out of this place, for the LORD is about to destroy the city.” But he seemed to his sons-in-law to be jesting.
15 As morning dawned, the angels urged Lot, saying, “Up! Take your wife and your two daughters who are here, lest you be swept away in the punishment of the city.”
16 But he lingered. So the men seized him and his wife and his two daughters by the hand, the LORD being merciful to him, and they brought him out and set him outside the city.
Genesis 19:12-16, ESV

The sons-in-law's disbelief, rejection of spiritual authority (Lot's headship of the house), and failure to act (sacrifice/abandon their lives in Sodom by leaving), not only cost them their lives, but contributed to later conditions (lack of men to marry) that made Lot's daughters more susceptible to sin (incestuous relations with Lot). The sons-in-law's lack of sacrificial love for their wives caused both themselves and Lot's daughters to stumble and sin. This could be viewed as a picture of why Jesus prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane, not His will, but submission to His Father's will, and why God The Father had to insist on Jesus' sacrifice for His church. Without Jesus' agape, sacrificial love for us, and His actual, physical sacrifice for us, we would all be lost forever. Without Jesus being obedient to God The Father and layng down His life for us, He would have sinned and been lost forever.

Andy C

Today, I saw the ESV translation of the events in Sodom and Gomorrah and learned Lot's sons-in-law were betrothed to his daughters, so why the daughters were both virgin and married (but not wedded). So like Mary being virgin and the espoused wife of Joseph.

12 Then the men said to Lot, “Have you anyone else here? Sons-in-law, sons, daughters, or anyone you have in the city, bring them out of the place.
13 For we are about to destroy this place, because the outcry against its people has become great before the LORD, and the LORD has sent us to destroy it.”
14 So Lot went out and said to his sons-in-law, who were to marry his daughters, “Up! Get out of this place, for the LORD is about to destroy the city.” But he seemed to his sons-in-law to be jesting.
15 As morning dawned, the angels urged Lot, saying, “Up! Take your wife and your two daughters who are here, lest you be swept away in the punishment of the city.”
16 But he lingered. So the men seized him and his wife and his two daughters by the hand, the LORD being merciful to him, and they brought him out and set him outside the city.
Genesis 19:12-16, ESV

The sons-in-law's disbelief, rejection of spiritual authority (Lot's headship of the house), and failure to act (sacrifice/abandon their lives in Sodom by leaving), not only cost them their lives, but contributed to later conditions (lack of men to marry) that made Lot's daughters more susceptible to sin (incestuous relations with Lot). The sons-in-law's lack of sacrificial love for their wives caused both themselves and Lot's daughters to stumble and sin. This could be viewed as a picture of why Jesus prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane, not His will, but submission to His Father's will, and why God The Father had to insist on Jesus' sacrifice for His church. Without Jesus' agape, sacrificial love for us, and His actual, physical sacrifice for us, we would all be lost forever. Without Jesus being obedient to God The Father and layng down His life for us, He would have sinned and been lost forever.
Incest to my knowledge was legal, not a sin, at that time. Correct? How would humans repopulate back then without some form of incest at times?

Ghoti Ichthus

Abraham and Sara were half-siblings, so what we would call incest, might have been acceptable at that time.
Not sure if Father-Daughter was considered a sin at that time or not. However, Lot wasn't married to his daughters, so because outside of marriage, it would have been sin.

Andy C

Abraham and Sara were half-siblings, so what we would call incest, might have been acceptable at that time.
Not sure if Father-Daughter was considered a sin at that time or not. However, Lot wasn't married to his daughters, so because outside of marriage, it would have been sin.
Was it a sin back then? I suggest you research when in the bible sex outside of marriage is called a sin because in the days of Lot, it was not.

Andy C

Was it a sin back then? I suggest you research when in the bible sex outside of marriage is called a sin because in the days of Lot, it was not.
I forgot to add its probable that sex outside of marriage was forbidden by local customs, but my point was that in accordance with His written Word at that time, it was not yet listed as a sin.

Ghoti Ichthus

The general pattern for marriage is given in Genesis. Leave parents, get married, and then be fruitful and multiply.

Adam and Eve were married (how wonderful to have God, Himself, officiate).

26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
Genesis 1:26-28, KJV

24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.
Genesis 2:24-25, KJV

16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
20 And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.
21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the Lord God make coats of skins, and clothed them.
Genesis 3:16-21, KJV

1 And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the Lord.
25 And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew.
Genesis 4:1, 25, KJV

When talking about divorce, Jesus confirmed the original pattern for marriage was given in Genesis:

3 The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?
4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.
9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
Matthew 19:4-9, KJV

Back